I still remember the "unfairness" of never being allowed in the canoes at girl scout camp - because I could not finish the red cross swimmers class. (required by our GS council camps to canoe and sail) I could swim well - and my family were avid canoers. I probably knew more than most of my counselors about handling a canoe - but every time I signed up for a red cross course - I got an ear infection and had to drop out - so I never got past intermediate level, and I never got to canoe at camp. It wasn't until I became a counselor, and they let us take a 1 time swimmers test, that I was allowed in a girl scout canoe.

Was that fair? there has to be a line drawn somewhere - and their line was the red cross swimmers card.

It's the same kind of thing with the Tote 'n chip. it really has very little to do with the card itself, but the documentation that the child understands the safty responsibilities that go along with the priveledge. In the case of your boys, it may be a retest for them, but that's the line that is drawn.

A Cub scout card allows a boy to carry his knife at CUB scout activities (where appropriate - i would NOT let a boy carry a knife in public, or, for example, at a derby) Remember, at CUB activities, there is a much higher ratio of adults to boys.

At BOY scout camp - the boys are often on their own - and the temptation to use those knives for the younger scouts is great. Getting their Tote 'n Chip is a strong reminder and review of the saftey requirements - and gives them added skills. And having a BRAND NEW card, that might be taken away if abused, is an added incentive to use knives responsibly.

Still - there's not a whole lot of difference between an 11 yr old webelo and an 11 yr old scout - about 3 hours after they get their Chip, you'll find the whole group around camp whittling on sticks - and what kind of odds will I get on betting that someone will walk into a safety circle, or cut towards themselves, or be working with a dull knife, or forget some other rule that they JUST LEARNED? How many of your boys have forgotten some rule? If you have boys that are ALWAYs perfect on remembering their rules - WITHOUT some adult standing over them - I'll eat my neckerchief! ;-)

Throughout their lives, boys will have to "prove" and test their skills over and over. This is one of those times.

I'll throw in my 1.75 cents worth here.......

sctmom, I agree with you that if you've done it before, you should have no problem doing it again. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let's think of how this "recertification" from Whittlin to Totin mirrors MANY adult situations:

a. Ever move from one state to another, and have to get a new driver's license? Some states require a new road test to pass, even though you may have been driving for many years in another state.

b. A driver's license learner's permit isn't a full license; in many areas it requires only a written test. The actual license, of course, does require a road test - AND a retake of the written test.

c. I have ASE certifications (automotive) that require recertification every 5 years. My wife is in the financial industry; her SEC licenses must be recertified every couple of years. I'm sure that those of you in other regulated or professional industries (or those that require some other form of governmental or trade industry certification) also have to renew or recertify your qualifications from time to time.

In short, although it WOULD be easier to let the Scouts just proceed without the Totin Chip, requiring them to "recertify" on certain skills does ensure their safety and knowledge of the handling of POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS EQUIPMENT.

Soapbox retired........

In response to the question about whether it carries over? Knife techniques are only part of the totin chip. My take is that if they learned the skills (knots, knife safety) prior to entering boy scouts maybe only the test and recognition portion of the advancement steps needs to be applied. I've always been supportive that if they had a whittlin chip, they would be allowed to use knives. I've seen the whittlin chip taught on bars of soap and never had a blade touch wood. Maybe at least a refresher with the new scouts would help. If they thought that they were ready for the other woods tools, it was a good time to teach them. I recommend a totin chip session prior to camp. Not only does our trading post sell knives but you need one of the cards to purchase one. The same for the hotspark with the firemn chit, another story. I've found that without teaching the scouts about the woods tools, they will do it on their own and out of sight as to keep out of trouble. Better to teach them right away. I'v seen several parents shrink when they find out just how good their scout is at sawing, splitting, and limbing. Growing up in the woods of Michigan, my buddies and I lived with knives daily. We had to use woods tools as chores. Some became pretty good with chainsaw art in the later years.

Consider this. There are four steps to Boy Scout advancement. 1. A scout learns, 2. A scout is tested, 3, a scout is reviewed, 4. a scout is recognized.

nothing says that the scout has to learn everything in a scout meeting or campout, or who taught him or how he learned. The important thing is that he learned and can pass the prescribed test.

So a good way to work with a scout is to say, "tell me what you know about..." Listen, watch and evaluate what he says or does. Support him in the things he knows or does correctly and train him in the things he has not learned yet or does incorrectly.

If the scout knows everything he needs to know about knife use and safety that's great. don't worry about where he learned it as long as he is correct.

Fill in missing information and move on to the testing phase.

Bob White

Report From Camp...We returned from Camp Pipsico (Tidewater District in Virginia) yesterday. All the boys got their Totin' Chip on Tuesday evening and immediately started doing the expected...buying hatchets, chopping wood in the axe yard, etc...no injuries. The next night (Wednesday) we did the Fire'em Chip requirements. Next day they all we to the camp Trading Post and bought the flint/steel fire starting kits. That same night our smallest boy went out on the overnight for the Wilderness Survival merit badge. (He is really tiny for his age, has a problem digesting food, but has a huge spirit. His little body won't let him do some things very well...like pass the swim test.) It started to rain but he was the only Scout to get a fire started and all of the others flocked to his fire. He is now a local hero and ten feet tall. This is what it is all about.