Okay, so we (myself, and the Pack Treasurer), attended the first part of our district Join Night information meeting. The second part is in mid-August. It was a lot of information to take in. Being that this will be our Pack's first Fall Join Night, we were wondering what makes a successful Join Night? What have you found that works for you and what should we avoid like the plague?

We have our parent that made a gorgeous PWD track bringing that, and the scouts will bring cars for other potential scouts to play with. We are getting a local Scout Troop to come and help us out too.

Advertise before i.e. flyers home from school, ad in the local newspaper, radio/T.V. and have the boys wear their uniforms to school a few days before.

As far as the PWD cars and track, I think it would be fun as long as the cars aren't too fragile and that there will be responsible persons monitoring the cars and track.

Good luck!

Carol

Bring stuff to look at/handle - Boys Life magazines, handbooks for all levels, anything your cubs have made, photos of activities, patches - you want the parents and the kids to see that cub scouting involves a lot of different, fun activities.

One of the most frustrating things for a parent is to take their boy to "Join Night", fill out an app and sign a check, and then wait for the phone call. Make sure that the parents understand up front that their participation is part of the program...no new den leaders, no new dens.

What Scoutldr said... but at the same time, make sure experienced leaders are willing to "ride along." This Scouting stuff is fun (to paraphrase Barry), but there is a learning curve.

Now is the time to ask the area Scoutmasters for Den Chiefs!!! Ideally, you'd like some experienced Den Chiefs together with some younger Scouts. The experienced ones can help train by demonstrating until a Den Chief's course is available, then they can fade away again!

Carol: Yep! Already told everyone that there could be a chance of their car being killed. We have a dad that made a bunch of "mistake cars" he will be bringing.

mtm: Thanks!

local: Yep! We have a Mom that is on that one for us already!

scoutldr: I agree! When our pack started up last October (yes, way after join night), there were only 2 of us that showed up. We did not get a call from our DE for 3 weeks later. It was very frustrating. That is one thing that we have all agreed will not happen with the "new group" that comes in this year!

John: Definitely working on the DC thing.

I guess I have another question for you all: Follow-up for the "maybe" folks that came to see, but did not fill out apps right away, yet signed in that night. Better to make a personal phone call, or have CM or ACM meet in person one on one with those folks?