Graduation Ceremony

Scouters,

I've been on the Troop side of Scouting for years, and never really had formal experience with our associated Pack (I was a Cub). I'm currently the Advisor for our Chapter's Ceremonial Team. Although other Lodges and Chapters may do things differently, our Chapter Ceremonial teams are the groups that do Call-Out Ceremonies (formerly Tap-Outs), Arrow of Light Ceremonies, and Crossover Ceremonies. I've had a request form a Pack, to assist them in their graduation ceremony. This is the Pack meeting where Tigers graduate to Wolfs, Wolfs to Bears, and Bears to Webolos. They have already had their AOL and Crossover Ceremonies.

We've offered to help, but our Ceremonial Team doesn't have a ceremony for this. This Pack evidently doesn't either. I could put something together with our Team, but I'd rather start from somewhere. So, does anybody have a ceremony I could borrow and modify for this particular Pack?

I'd appreciate any assistance. If you like, I can attempt to PM anyone if they wish.

Thanks,

sst3rd

I don't have a full ceremony, but I can let you know what we did.

When I was the cubmaster for the pack, I first acknowledged the Webelos I and "graduated" them to Webelos II. I then had them change seats to where the Webelos II used to sit.

I then called the bears and had them line up. The new Webelos II then changed their neckerchiefs. The graduating Bears (now Webelos I) then sat in the spot where the Webelos I sit.

Next came the graduating Wolves and finally the Tigers. Each group had the year ahead of them change the neckerchief.

I have also had parents remove neckerchiefs (and shoulder loops for crossover) before moving the den to their new location.

Hope this helps.

A year ago, our Venturing Crew was called on to do a Mic-o-Say opening and help with a end-of-year Pack meeting.

We did three things: An adult member of the Tribal Council (a Scouter of long and great experience) used his "Fear of God" look and most serious voice to actually get the Cubs undivided attention.

Our youth Tribesmen of the appropriate responsibility started the fire. Others did the flag ceremony and the Cub Promise and Law of the Pack.

During the meeting, they danced a bit, and they also helped with the golly, gee whiz moment for graduating Cubs: Changing neckers.

Several young men were not in attire; instead they were in Class A uniform and sat with the Cubs. It's amazing when a 9 year old sees a HS junior or senior, wearing his Scout uniform and his HS letter jacket. They are in absolute awe!

Hope the tale helps...

YIS John

tcherven and John,

Your thoughts and tales are great. Having not done something like this before, this is a great help. I hope to get a few more ideas. I will forward this information to the Pack, as they're still looking for ideas too.

Our Chapter Ceremonial Team has been given these ideas as well. Thanks for giving them a starting place.

sst3rd

Hi there! We just had our "graduation" ceremony last Friday. We only had Tigers move to Wolves, and Wolves move to Bears. My husband, the CM, made a bridge. He wrote up something about the Tigers (and made mention of the Search, Discover, Share). He called each boy up with their adult partner/family. Gave his little blurb and had each boy cross over the bridge with his partner walking next to them. On the "other side" of the bridge, the parent took off the orange neckerchief and put on the new yellow one. CM spoke about the significance of the new color and what it will mean to be a wolf and work on the wolf trail.

The Wolves to Bears was very similar, but the speech of course, was geared toward what each boy had accomplished as a Wolf. Did the crossing the bridge, then the neckerchief ceremony. At the end, all the boys (both Wolves and Bears) stood on the bridge (or around it) and were presented to the Pack.

We have what I think is a cool graduation ceremony for our Cubs.

We have a campfire, which we invite Boy Scouts from the two troops in town to come and build, and they also help put on a little campfire program that the younger boys can participate in.

But what the Cubs really look forward to is going through the "Cub-o-matic".

We set up an EZ-Up, and enclose all the sides with tarps. We have a board we hang on the side with a "dial" that surrounded by the badges of each rank. When we are ready to send through a group of boys, we turn the dial to the rank they are about to become.

Inside the Cub-o-matic, parents wait to change out the boys' neckers and slides, and present them with their books for their new ranks. Outside, behind the whole thing, we have Boy Scouts banging bells and pots, blowing whistles and horns, throwing things in the air (going for the "mad-scientist-machine" effect here) while the boys are processed inside.

Once the change is complete, the Cubmaster (that's me) introduces the boys as their new rank. For the boys going from Webelos 1 to Webelos 2, this is when they choose a den name, get their den patch, and are introduced by that new name (this year, it will be the "Flying Pigs").

The Cubs really seem to like this little ceremony, which has become quite the tradition now. The best part is watching the new Cubs, wide-eyed and mystified, as they are about to go into the Cub-o-matic for the first time.

This year, we are going to add a new element; before each den goes through to move up in rank, the den that just finished that rank are going to tell them about all the cool things they will do in the coming year.

Good luck with your ceremony, I hope it is memorable for everyone.