New WEBELOS activity pin requirements

I am helping out with WLOT next weekend and just got an e-mail saying there are new WEBELOS activity pin requirements.

The CD is trying to get copies for these to the staff but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a Web site with the new requirements so I can get these to review now rather than waiting for him to mail these to me.

Thanks

Just curious, what is the time frame for your training? I've seen Outdoor Webelos Leader Training, which is now Introduction to Outdoor Leaders Training for Webelos Leaders, done as a weekend Friday evening to Sunday Afternoon. I've seen it done as a one day event 8am till 8pm(or later depending on how dark you want it to be for the campfire) and recently I've seen it offered as a 9 to 3 with a break for lunch. As a trainer I'm curious as to how others are delivering this training.

LongHaul

Our WLOT training runs from Saturday morning to Sunday at noon.

We are running this along side SM Specfic/Basic Outdoor Skill Training.

On Saturday they are holding Cub Scout Resident Camp Open House.

Some of the sessions are combined such as Knots, Foil Dinners and the Campfire.

Doing this way allows us to share QM's and other area experts.

I am doing two activity pins and can help with one of the other programs if needed.

I was told that after this weekend the training staff will be evaluating to keep the combined sessions or go back to having this on its own weekend.

In looking at the activity pin requirement changes on usscouts.org our CD gave us copies from an older (pre-2003) Programs helps so the "new" requirements are not that new.

Oh. Well in that case, go to the virtual cub leader's handbook, click on virtual requirements guide, scroll down to webelos, and click on "activity badges." Which will take you here:

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/activity-badges.html

These are the "new" 2004 requirements. You can get them off USScouts too and probably a bunch of other locations.

I must say that running IOLS for SM/ASM and WDL together, IMO as a SM and former WDL and as a trainer that has run both trainings, is a really BAD idea. Mainly because the trainers want to do things like foil dinners for the SM/ASM group instead of exploring all the alternative cooking methods and styles that the SM/ASM should be bringing back to their units. The IOLS for SM/ASM should be going over all the requirements for Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class from the view point of teaching these things to 11 year olds. I can teach you to make a fire so that you can make one readily when you take your Webelos on an overnight. I can teach you to make a fire so you are ready to teach and 11 year old how to readily make a fire on an overnight. I can teach you how to teach a 14 year old to teach an 11 year old how to make a fire. Each method is necessary at a point in Leader development and each is different. I teach the Webelos Leader how to use a compass; I teach the SM/ASM how to teach the use of a compass. I teach the Webelos Leaders how to select a campsite for their Den Overnighter, I teach the SM/ASM how to ask questions of an 11 year old so that 11 year old can select his patrol site. Yeh I know the boys are supposed to be teaching the boys but then why teach the SM/ASM anything? Let them learn from the boys too, if the boys are supposed to be the authority. Scoutmaster means master of scouts; this is the person that is supposed to be responsible for quality control. If the SM does not know how to teach the skill he cant judge the quality of the instruction being done. When PL Bill teaches New Scout Fred to build a fire, the effectiveness of that teaching is displayed in Freds ability to teach that skill not perform that skill.

The over lapping skill instructions between the two groups is, again IMO, so minimal that joint sessions are ill advised and the WDL suffers when the course is run by a team that has been doing the IOLS for SM/ASM as a separate training and now wants to let the WDLs watch.

Please let us know what your feelings are after the course.

LongHaul