Spring Tiger Recruitment

We have never had a problem with Tigers at BB's or archery. This is usually their first experience with these sports & they are excited to do it. Yes, you do have to take a bit more time working with them, but it is worth it to see their face light up when they hit the target! Also, as Lisa mentioned, Tigers always have their Adult Partner with them at all times and they help with the mechanics involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I just created a document with coprehensive informtion for new scouts. I wil be happy to share with any who are in need.

I am having a friend-bring-a-friend den meeting on 5/18 and am reaching out to Kindergarten boys to join. My theme is cubs and bugs.

Our district does not do spring recruiting.

This gets old, but I guess we are just lucky, again. Yesterday I put flyers in every teacher's mailbox, from K-3rd grade, to go home this Thursday, announcing our Open House & Recruiting next Monday evening. This Friday, I will make a 20 minute presentation in the school to all of the boys in Kindergarten. We show pictures and film from Day Camp and Summer Camp to get them excited about Scouting, and tell them they need to get their parents to bring them to the Open House on Monday. We ask them several times "When is the Scout meeting?" "Where is the Scout meeting?" "What time...?" We recruit all those grades, but the real focus is on Tigers.

We hold a one hour Open House meeting from 6:30 - 7:30 pm, where we show our Pack "Year in Review" music video, explain the program, introduce the leaders, hand out our summer schedule, answer questions, and sign them up. We allow Tigers to request 2 buddies they want to be in a Den with. Over the summer, we work on forming dens and identifying leaders. By August, we have the foundations for our dens, with several scenarios worked out in case we need 3 or 4 dens, based on fall registration. The boys from spring recruitement will already be in their uniforms for the first Pack meeting in August.

Your district doesn't have to do spring recruiting in order for your unit to do it. Our district doesn't - it was just something I wanted to try, and it has worked for us.

Lisa - can you use the school building for your recruiting meeting? If so, make some signs to put outside for 2 - 3 days before the meeting. Hopefully, the school will allow that. Nothing fancy - just "Cub Scout Recruiting, Monday at 7:00 PM, Cafeteria" The families that are interested will find you, and spread the word.

Hi,

My name is Rob Ehrhart and I am with Pack 172 in Dahlgren, VA. Our Council recently started to promote a program called 'Tiger Roar' which allows us to 'recruit' perspective Tigers to join the pack the day after they complete kindergarden. Something else that we're doing this year is inviting these boys to our Bridging Ceremony. That way they can see one of the larger events of the year and ask questions with everyone there. For this we are sending home flyers that we have put togather with all the boys.

Hope this helps

YIS,

Rob Ehrhart

Cub Master

Pack 172

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LisaBob,

I serve as a pack committee chair and district membership and recruitment chair.

I made a presentation to the leaders at roundtable about several things. Started with a recruiter strip that the boys could earn. Get the cubmaster to get behind this at the March pack meeting. Have the CM tell them how to earn it. It seems to be a big secret in our district. We also had three examples of dirrerent flyers to hand out to the schools. It wasn't restricted to just Tigers.

On the flyers we invited the boys, parents, and siblings to the May pack meeting(which we make a big deal with a pizza party before advancement ceremonies). On the back of the flyers we had all our summer events and how the could earn the summertime pack award pin. Flyers went to kindergarden to forth grade. Also took flyers to all local daycares. We had 15 new boys join at the May pack meeting. 8 Tigers, 4 Wolves, 1 Bear, and 2 Webelo II's.

Also the uniform sells it. Have the boys wear uniforms w/o neckerchief and other pins to school on the day of pack meetings.

Media - we also contacted news papers, local shopppers, TV community bulletin boards, and school and church announcements.

This is the third year of recruiting for the pack in the spring, and the numbers are 2-5-15.

DAY CAMP, DAY CAMP, DAY CAMP!!!!

Our Council offers the Early Bird price even if the new Tiger shows up on Day 1 of camp with his app and his money. We really think it's a huge recruiting tool.

Even if the Tiger isn't strong enough for the archery range, I'll bet he'll love slingshots!! Every young boy I know likes weapons; let him learn firearms safety from Day 1.

Besides, who doesn't want to see a 7 year old with a bird house and a concrete stepping stone he put the marbles into all by himself?

Lisa, you're more current on Tiger rules than I... is the 1/1 relationship extend to DC Tigers? Lord knows lots of activities require adults to focus beyond Johnny or Billy and help Jimmie and David.