When to work on Webelos activity pins?

In the younger cub dens, den meetings are mostly spent on crafts, games and other fun activities while most of the achievement work is to be done at home with the cubs Akela.

In Webelos the Akela who signs off the books is now the Den Leader not the parent. Also, the activity pins worked on can require expertise or equipment the parents don't have. Thus, in the past our Packs Webelos den have worked on Activity pins during den meetings with little done at home.

The new CM does not like this and contends that the Webelos dens need to be working on crafts, games, and skits to present at the pack meetings based around the monthly themes. (Despite the fact that the program helps list a Webelos activity pin in addition to the monthly theme and do not outline den programs around the theme for Webelos).

As a former CM (and current CA who still helps the pack despite having moved on), I tend to agree with the Webelos den leaders position, but am not sure if I am correct, 'by the book' or not.

Which way do other packs run their Webelos den(s)?

Ideally you'd see a little of both going on. It is true that the webelos program begins to move the boys away from doing advancement with mom & dad and toward being more independent. To the extent that the boys work on some activity pin requirements in the den rather than at home, this makes sense. On the other hand, they're still part of the pack and should be playing an active role at monthly pack meetings, which might include presenting a skit or skill demonstration, etc.. So they need to have something they can show for their den at the pack meeting.

On the "craft" front, I'm a little wary here. The kinds of craft projects that appeal to younger boys may seem a little "young" for some of your webelos. That doesn't mean you can't do crafts but the nature of them might be changing to focus more on "scout craft" rather than just "arts and crafts."

Hi,

Not sure if this is by the book, but here goes. We try to do the "required" Webelos pins in the den, with each taking about a month to complete. Scouts are encouraged to work on pins of interest at home and report back to the den on things that they complete at home.

"Crafts" are more involved projects that can be used as part of the Craftsman pin or the Artist pin.

We still play games, some of the games involve scout skills or memory games to learn the oath and law etc.

As far as using the monthly theme... we don't use it in the Webelos dens, though we will use it at Pack meetings. We do skits and flag ceremonies at the Pack meeting as well.

I am leaning towards having the boys as a den select the pin that they would like to work on and help plan some of the simpler activities. Perhaps even lead a portion of the pin for their den mates. I will let you know how it goes!

I suggest getting the Webelos Leader Guide. It has suggested meeting plans and activities for working on the Webelos Activity Badges. Most all of the Activity Badge work should be done in the den meetings. Remember that the Activity Badge Counseler signs the Webelos handbook when the requirements are complete, not just the Webelos Den Leader.

As Lisa Bob mentions, the Webelos still need to take an active part in the pack meetings by doing skits, songs, ceremonies, etc. The Webelos can also display things that they have made/accomplished during the month working on the Activity Badges.

Keep in mind that working on the Activity Badges give the Webelos plenty of opportunities for craft, games, etc.

SWScouter

Our Webelos work on activity pins in the Den meetings with occassional things sent home to be done there. For example, the chore list required for Citizenship beltloop that is required for Citizen pin that is required for rank. We cover most everything in the den meetings but there are a few things that they need to do at home. However, even with stuff done at home they bring it in for my final approval (I just really want to see that they did it instead of having mom or dad saying "yup, its fine").

We also take the last 15 minutes of the den meeting for them to decide what they are going to do at the pack meeting that month. I use this as a chance for them to experience boy-led hands on (they are Web I's and will be doing more and more of their own decision making, but it is a learned skill). They sit down with their den chief and pick an option out of a short list that the den chief and I create for the month. There's usually a couple of skits, a song, and a story. They pick roles and practice during the finally part of the den meeting. They also show what they have been working on for the month towards activity pins.

As far as crafts go - I think some Webelos pins lend themselves naturally to craft projects while others do not. We made duct tape wallets yesterday as part of craftsman and they were a huge hit. But I can't picture doing crafts instead of Athlete, or worse, trying to find Athlete crafts that didn't irritate the dickens out of two active 9 yo boys.

We play games - usually along the lines of quizzes about the pin we have been working on or parts of Boy Scout law etc. Last month we did "Wheel of Fitness", complete with a wheel to spin, prizes for correct answers (animal crackers) and lots of noise and laughter (and they did a great job answering too).

In short - Webelos is a different world than Tiger/Wolf/Bear. Its ages and stages - Tigers have mom or dad for everything, Wolves can meet w/o their parents but most of their achievements are home based. Bears are taking another step away from home based achievements with things that lend themselves better to den level activities and Webelos are a step closer to Boy-led as they prep for graduating from the Pack and into the world of Boy Scouts.

Perhaps the new CM would benefit from taking Webelos leader specific training? I'm a former (and soon to be returning) CM (and current WDL)and I've taken at least the on-line fast start training for each level of Cub Scouts. I found it helped me understand each level a bit better.

YiS

Michelle

Hi All

My Webelos den meeting agenda started with the Webelos running an opening ceremony (about five minutes, then 15 minutes talking about assorted subjects, two skits for the next pack meeting being one. WE then spent about 40 minutes working on two activity badges followed by a 20 minute game that usually involved running. We finished the meeting with a closing ceremony, which included awards presentation of completed activity badges.

The way I was able to do this agenda was by going to two 90 minute meetings a month. I had sixteen Webelos, so I divided them up into two groups. Each group took responsibility for a skit and had to be ready for it by the pack meeting. Most of the time the scouts showed up 30 minutes before the meeting to practice the skit. Once they got use to the routine, they usually had the skit down in 15 minutes of practice.

Same for the activity badges. Since I had two groups, they would work on one badge for 20 minutes then switch with the other group. Even though I was required to split my group, I think you can do this with a smaller group as well.

I let my activity badges set the theme of the meetings, but I also tried to get the required badges out of the way as fast as I could. I asked my parents to parents plan and run the badges. They were given two meetings to complete as many requirements as possible (One month). If they could complete the badge, we came back to it later. I planned my meetings all the way through the year so I could assign the parents at the beginning of the year.

I must say that my program was a struggle until I lengthen the meetings to 90 minutes. Then it got real easy even with the taking the third week off, which I enjoyed as well.

As for the CM, I suggest that you ask him what he requires of the Webelos at his pack meeting. The Den meeting is really the Den leaders business until it becomes obvious that the meetings are not meeting the expectations of the BSA. Until then the SM really shouldnt micro manage the den.

Also, I found it easier to keep track of the scouts completed requirements by putting the requirements and scouts on a spreadsheet and marking off each requirement as they completed them. My assistant would sign the books during the meeting. But the spreadsheet made it a lot easier to see at a glance where each scout stood without thumbing through the books.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Barry

The Webelos den I leads starts with an opening flag, to include the BS Oath and the BS Law, and recently we're practing God Bless America. Then we make presentations of awards, mostly for the boys that miss the pack meetings. Then we go through the homework from the past meeting. Take a short break.

The we spend about 20 to 35 minutes working on items for activity badges with another break in between. Then looking at a skit or song needed for the Pacl meeting. We finish the meeting with a closing ceremony.

We meet twice a month with 5 boys, parents are required to attend. Once in a while one parent has to do something and that is OK.

Each parent is assigned at least 1 mandatory badge and 2 others. This has worked well and we've swapped some around.

For each badge we cover a number of items that is best suited to a group and the rest to earn the pin are done as homework, where they get to chose the items to do. This seperates those that want to from those that don't. Mandatory badges are different, we try to do them all at a den meeting.

I use to track by spreadsheet but gave it up. I could never keep the books in synch with the sheet. Its mandaory to bring the book and I turn in advancements based on that. Our pack provides the books as part of the dues so its a responsibility thing.

No book = No advancements.

Of the 5 boys, four are great and they present there own work. One still has his mom do most of his presenting.

Any ideas on how to talk to her nicely to get the boy to step up to the task?

eghiglie - you could simply not accept the work from the mother. By turning in his work for him she is cheating him of a chance to grow. "Never have an adult do a job a youth can do".

I have one (out of 2, its a small den) who is very shy and if he can possibly get out of doing a task by getting a parent to do it for him he will. Last year he tried getting out of bringing his PWD car to the launching. His father jumped in with "I'll do it for him". I simply told Dad that no, his son is a big boy and will follow the same rules and expectations as all the other boys. If he doesn't bring his own car up he doesn't race. (Only the boy and race officials handle the cars). Dad wasn't happy but Boy brought up his car and raced.

When we met for the first time this fall I told them all what would be expected - this includes turning in their own work. I had the Den Chief explain Boy Led and that it means Boy Led....that each boy is responsible for his own work, not his mom, dad, auntie - they aren't the Scout, the youth is.

This has worked well this year. Shy Scout is planning his flag ceremony for this month, asking his Den Chief for help, not his father. That seems to be harder for the father than the boy.

Good luck.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the original question: mix it up, some pack prep, some badge work. Make it fun. Make it educational. Meet every week. Wear the uniform with pride.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I work with a Pack, Troop and Crew (kids still in each program) and have found that the Packs are doing a very poor job of preparing the Webelos for Boy Scouts. It has been the topic of several roundtable and troop discussions.

The transition from Webelos to Boy Scouts is critical in keeping boys in Scouts. One of the biggest problems is parents signing books or making presentations for Webelos. When the boys get to Boy Scouts they are totally un-prepared to have to demonstrate their knowledge or skill to someone other than their parent. And lets be honest, some parents just sign the book so the boy gets his badge. You hear things like, "Oh he did that last summer" or "He did that for school" which is ok as they are the Akela, it is not up to me, the leader, to question their signature. But in Boy Scouts they have to go to someone and show what they know. The Webelos transition, and leaders signing books, is as important for the parents to learn as the boys, and will make for a better prepared, more confident young man.

• 2 weeks later...

Your Webelos Leader Guide is your primary resource for everything from your annual Webelos den program plan right down to an itinerary for each den meeting. Completing Activity badge requirements makes up the bulk of the itinerary as it should but it also includes tie-ins for pack meetings. You should use Program Helps as a theme reference for these tie-ins.

Be creative, tie some requirements of the activity badge to the monthly theme for the pack. For example, when I was a WDL, I had my den do a puppet show based on the theme at a pack meeting to fulfill a requirement for the Showman badge.

I strongly encourage any WDL to understand the major differences between Cub and Boy Scouts, the patrol method used in boy scouts, and the requirements of the Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class ranks. The primary job of the WDL is to prepare Webelos for Boy Scouts. Your emphasis should be on this, but it doesn't preclude your den from participating in pack meetings. In fact, proper preparation for Boy Scouts will require participation at pack meetings.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

• 4 weeks later...

one of the things that really helped me out with badges when I had a Webelos Den was outings - LOTS of outings. We did *at least* one outing per month and often more, and we would look for outings and overnighters in which we could get badge work done. Such as: a local art walk, during which admission to all the galleries and museums are free. Since we visited the state history museum along with that, we knocked out some requirements on two badges. Things that did not get done with badges during outings were incorporated into the weekly meetings.

I forgot to mention another way or making time to work on badges.

Sometimes at Pack events there is plenty of dead time. Our pack just had its PWD yesterday and check in closed at 9:30, but Webelos didn't race until Noon as the Tigers, then Wolves, then Bears raced first. Sometimes when there is that much dead time trouble can occur......

So I took my Patrol off to the side, worked on the Chess Loop and also the Scholar Badge. It took about 90 minutes or so. While we were doing something the other boys decided to tease and feed the egrets and other birds....