Beavah,

Let's go back to the source, the Guide to Safe Scouting...

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=ba

NOTE: The aquatics chapter of the G2SS was UPDATED 1 April 2006. Per my understanding of BSA policy, the MOST CURRENT guidance is on the online version of the guide.

For unit swims in areas where lifeguards are not provided by others, the supervisor should designate two capable swimmers as lifeguards.

Bottom line: BSA policy to me now assumes most commercial swimming pools furnish lifeguards.

From what I've been told, the G2SS represents the "best due diligience" to reduce BSA exposure to liability. Sadly, we ARE a litigious society. Kahuna for one can tell us more than we ever care to know about that. I've heard of a commercial camp in the Peeple's Republik of Kalifornia which has filled in its pool, because the cost of liability insurance for an aquatics program was too high.

Bottom line is and continues to be: This Pack must plan its camp including a proposed aquatics activity per SSD, or the local Council will not issue the Tour Permit. It really is that cut and dried, no matter how much we debate it.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)