In the Cub leader book under camping privacy it states that no male and female youth may share the same sleeping arrangements. Our Committee says this means sibling girls may not sleep in same tent with cub scout even if parent is in the tent too. I was wondering if anyone knows of a sibling exemption.

webelo_mom, welcome to the Forums.

I think the statement applies to male and female Venturing youth going on a campout, even if siblings. But the Cub Scout Packs I've been affiliated with have always allowed brothers & sisters to share a tent with their parents.

Some Councils do not allow siblings to attend Council-sponsored Cub events. Such a policy would obviate the problem you allude to.

We allow siblings to sleep in the same tent with their parents. Our pack would have many families that would object strongly to the lack of common sense in not allowing an entire family to be in a tent.

Heck, there's another line in the G2SS that says "One-on-one contact between adults and youth members is not permitted." Does your committee say that a parent can't be alone with their own son? No parental exception is noted in the wording. If they do allow parents to be alone with their son, then they must realize that there is a family exception to the wording as written.

Oak Tree

You notice the BSA policy that John quotes says "no YOUTH" not "no youth MEMBER". This means that boys & girls can stay (together) in a tent with their parents. Remember that Cubs is for the family.

However, if you are staying in a cabin, lodge or dormitory type building, then you will need 1 building for males & 1 building for females, even if that means separating families. You should also have the adults separated from the youth, however, with Cub aged youth, as long as changing can be done privately, once everyone is in their jammies we have no problem with moms sleeping by their daughters or dads by their sons.

The above quoted policy does not really clarify the issue. The problem, of course, is that this is also in bold print:

Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping facility.

A literal reading of this requirement would suggest that brothers and sisters cannot share the same tent, regardless of whether they're with their parents. You could have one tent for father and son, and another tent for mother and daughter. Or father and daughter, and mother and son. Or mother and daughter, and son by himself. Or whatever.

This is just another reason why I think that you have to use your judgement in interpreting how to apply the G2SS. I do not believe it means to apply to brother and sister, and I would never apply it that way.

Oak Tree

I would not get to excited over this issue until the NEW and IMPROVED GTSS hit the streets. Supposedly it's been all reworded so we will have a whole new set of "What exactly does this say?" to while away the hours. Due out this summer, actually April but I'm not holding my breath.

LongHaul