returning to the pack?

They were crazy & scary. Initially, we were told we don't hold any "closed meetings", so it should be open to them. They were no longer on the roster, but were still members of the CO, so claimed interest. However, it got so extreme that at one com't mtg we had the DE, COR, IH, and UC attend to see what was going on. They had a meeting with the offending/offensive couple and very politely told them to "butt out"...thank goodness!

How did we know that ahead? We didn't. But there ARE other than altruistic reasons for wanting to stay in, even though the vast majority are there for the right reasons.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoutnut, I understand where you're coming from. But on occasion, packs do have leaders to whom the pack is happy to say goodbye. In many cases, this is the result of poor leader selection to start with (the warm body approach) and then packs end up riding things out until that person crosses over, rather than getting into the issue of replacing an unsuitable leader. Perhaps that isn't how the pack ought to handle things, but reality seems to be that many packs do act exactly like this. In such a situation, packs might be unenthusiastic about having such a person return to them as a leader.

Lisa'bob

Lisa, the case of a bad leader that the Pack wanted to be rid of is a whole 'nuther thing. In that case there is every reason to not let that leader "re-up" with the Pack.

However, if the reason is simply because they no longer have kids in the Pack, and/or someone has made the decision (for the leader) that the leader will not have the time to do the job, then I take issue.

MaScout, you are a great role-model for leading and then allowing others to lead. Although my Cub leader years will only be at total of 8 by the time my younger son crosses to boy scouts next year, I, too find myself in a position of being the "most experienced" leader in the Pack right now. We have excellent Tiger and Wolf leaders (no Bears this year), so even though they ask what they're going to do without me, I know they'll do great. I keep reminding them that the Pack needs new ideas, and they are starting to realize that they don't have to look to me before making decisions.

If the returning leader hasn't been gone too many years, then chances are that somebody in the Pack will remember him/her. I'd welcome any properly motivated leader, but if I knew that the returnee was in it more for him/herself than for the boys, then I'd recommend looking elsewhere for leadership.