Scuttlebutt about new Kindergarten Cub Scout program (lions)

I have heard rumors about a new Kindergarten (5 & 6 year olds) program starting. Hence the change in uniform for the Tigers.

Apparently this is to make up for the fact that the Girl Scouts have the Daisy program for Kindergarten girls and the BSA has nothing. I haven't found anything on the BSA site about it, but then again, that's not unusual.

Anybody know anything?

--Mona

• 2 months later...

We have this going on this year in our area. They are indeed called Lions, and I believe they meet once a week but have nothing to do with our pack. One of our den mothers is running the program and we haven't really heard anything about it other than referred a couple parents that mistakenly showed up at one of our den meetings looking for the Lions. I could probably find out more if anyone is interested.

I figured the Tiger uniform change was a revenue generating device.

I'm with CJ. I don't think the program could be watered down anymore from Tigers and still be scouting. If national starts a kindergarten program like that, we might start losing the argument with parents when we try to tell them it's not supposed to be the Baby Sitters of America.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Our pack is in the Moraine Trails Council. About 40 miles NW of Pittsburgh,PA

I know they meet a totally different place, different time, etc. It's completely removed from our pack and the only way I even knew about it was that the Wolf DL is heading up that group.

I hadn't really paid much attention to it since I thought it was happening everywhere.. (that, and my son is in Webelos)

I'll see what additional information I can get you.

Thanks,

Bruce..

(This message has been edited by bmarkey)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update this to tell you a little more about what I found out about the Lions program:

Well, I had a short conversation with the Wolves DL that is heading up the Lions program for our pack.

She told me she that she was given a book "Learning for Life" that is appropriate for the kindergarteners (http://www.learning-for-life.org) I guess it's a program that has levels for older kids as well.

She said in addition she's been supplementing this with adding in some other science information, having the boys say the pledge, and learning the laws of the pack. She said they have been more than responsive, and they are learning things like sponge.. She homeschools her children, so she's using part of her science lessons from that.

In order to combat the whole babysitting thing, she has insisted (like Tigers) that a parent remain with their child, and that they also participate and help with the program. She said she had a few more kids at the beginning, but when the parents found out they couldn't just drop the kids off for an hour of free babysitting, a couple dropped out.

She said that when the kids become Tigers next year, they'll all have already learned everything they need for their Bobcat.

Hope this helps..

Bruce...

"She said that when the kids become Tigers next year, they'll all have already learned everything they need for their Bobcat. "

It sounds like the person in this group is putting out a decent program but I'm not sure how well it dovetails with the current Cub Scout program. The complete separation from the pack seems odd. If they're part of the pack, then the program should encourage interaction with the pack (at least on a minimal level). If they're not, then it doesn't make a lot of sense for the program to include the stuff they need to earn their bobcat. Besides, unless some additional changes are forthcoming, boys can't be awarded the Bobcat until after they get their Tiger badges. So is it logical to teach them all that information 12-18 months or so before they can earn the badge? Or is the idea that they'll get their Tiger badges more quickly and thus get the Bobcat sooner too? In that case, what would the Tiger program consist of after these 2 badges are earned early in the year? I wonder if this Lions program is going to end up cannibalizing the Tiger program in terms of content.

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!