Committee Chair Duties

Hello All,

I have been away for awhile dealing with various other parts of my life but now that I am back I have a question for you all.

I am the cubmaster of a small pack in Southern New Jersey and since I became cubmaster I have also been (not by title but by duties/activities) the committee chair as well.

Well my Dad has decided to step up and become the Committee chair which is a major blessing!

He has read the job description, watched the fast start video and is scheduled to attend the NLE and Committee Chair trainings in the next month.

The question that he keeps asking me and I'm not really sure how to answer him is: what specifically do I do as committe chair?

So for all of you out there that have a committee chair that actually does stuff: What do they do exactly?

Recruits other members of the Pack Committee, with CO approval. (excluding CM and Den Leaders)

Sets the agenda for and chairs Pack Committee meetings.

Primary POC for the COR.

Attend District Roundtables.

Provides annual report to the CO on the "State of the Pack".

Actually the CC & COR are responsible for recruiting ALL Pack leaders, including the Cubmaster & Den Leaders.

The CC is in charge of all Pack administration issues. The CC does the yearly re-charter. He helps the CM & the Den Leaders with running the Pack program.

He should form committies and/or appoint members to handle specific duties for the Pack (Newsletter, Outings, Advancement, Treasurer, etc).

If your Dad has read the job description & gone thru Fast Start, he should already have a good idea of what is expected of him.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes he does have a very general idea based on the job description but what he is asking is more about what he will need to do within our specific pack since I have been performing all the duties of both cubmaster and CC myself.

I guess what I am looking for is some advice on how to carve out the CC duties from my duties.

You both need to get training. New Leader Essentials and Leader Specific Training for your individaual jobs. It will take a total of about 5 hours but that coupled with a copy of the Cub Scout Leader Handbook and you should both be well prepared to do your jobs. Contact your local scout office for the name and phone # of your district training chair.

I have been cubmaster for two years now and have taken every training that is available short of Woodbadge.

Fast State

NLE

Committee training

Cubmaster Training

Den leader Training

OWL

BALOO

Risk

Youth Protection

A couple of others I can't think of.

My Dad has already done Fast Start and is scheduled for NLE and Committee Training in October.

It's not a training issue it's just a question of how to split out the duties I have already been performing in an appropriate manner.

The Cubmaster's main job is to run the monthly Pack meetings. He also oversees other Pack activities. You plan them with the help of the CC & the Committee. You should be in contact with your area SM's to help obtain Den Chief's & help with the Webelos to Scout transition. You are also responsible for making sure the dens are running well.

Everything else is the responsibility of the CC or one of the Committee members.

Not knowing exactly what all it is you have been doing, perhaps the best way to go about this is to get yourself a copy of the job description for both the Cubmaster & the Committee Chair. Then make a list of the things that you have been doing that fall into each category.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

"It's not a training issue it's just a question of how to split out the duties ..."

The Cubmaster Specific training and Pack Committee Specific training defines and explains the role and responsibilites of these positions. The Cub Scout Leader book has lots of information too.

I'm CC for our pack, and my husband did it last year. Basically, in our pack, the CC runs the whole thing, with the cubmaster, assistant cubmaster, committee members, and other leaders as helpers. It's up to me to make sure that everything gets done--not to do it all myself, but to delegate jobs and make sure they get taken care of. Since taking over this job, I've done the re-chartering, coordinated day camp, and run school night. With the other committee members, I've made decisions about how to earn money for the pack and how to spend it. I can write checks on the pack account. Now that school has started again, I'll be in charge of running the monthly committee meetings. To do that, I ask other leaders for items they want to discuss, add some more of my own, and make an agenda for the meeting.

I also plan ahead for upcoming events, enlisting the help of other leaders. Event planning is, I believe, the cubmaster's job, but in our pack the CC has always been in charge of everything. (Our cubmaster is chosen more for his ability to MC pack meetings than to plan events.)

If I had a more active cubmaster, I would expect him to do all the program planning. I would expect him to come to the committee meeting with ideas for the monthly pack meeting and upcoming events, and he would recruit the help he needs to run each event. I would do everything else.

I cannot imagine how this could not be a training issue?

As explained in the training and Cub Leader Handbook the CM and CCC work closely togetehr developing the annual plan and identifying and recruiting leaders.

The the Cubmaster develops, motivates, and leads the Den leaders, leads Pavk activities and Pack meetings.

The Committee Chairman makes assignments to the committee members to support the program decisions and they report their progress at the monthly meetings, and chairs that meeting.

These are explained in even greater detail in the leader specific training.

In a nutshell, the CC handles all of the admin duties of the Pack. If it deals with recruiting and handling of the leaders or scheduling Pack activities, the CC is the person. As mbscoutmom correctly states, delegation is a key to the CC's success.

The CM deals with the program on the level of the boys. Among the obvious task of planning the agenda for and running the Pack Meeting, the CM interacts with the Dens to make sure the program is being followed and the boys are moving toward advancement. The CM also runs (not necessarily schedules) Pack outings and special events such as PWD, hikes, recruitment drives, etc.

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

interesting discussion - and one that is near and dear to my heart. After being a den leader for several years, I had my arm "twisted" by our CC into becoming CM. I have since resigned and just become a "pack parent" as I was unable to work with the CC in the manner that she chose. I felt that it would be the least disruptive option for the Pack. Our CC has presided over the decline of the Pack from 55 to 11 Scouts. Our CC had the final say on all scheduling of activities with the CM just implememnting the decisions that were made - often unilaterally. I was unable to continue in that role as the "public" face of the Pack while not being able to explain why things were going the way they were. And, since no one wanted to be CC.... well - you get the idea

First it is important to know what the Pack Committee is supposed to do:

1) Ensure That the Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts Receive a Year-Round Quality Program

2) Make Recommendations to the Chartered Organization for Final Approval of Pack Leadership

3) Recruit the Cubmaster and One or More Assistant Cubmasters

4) Supervise Finances and Equipment

5) Help Stimulate the Interest of Parents Through Proper Programming

Here is a list of responsibilities for Committee Chair:

1) Cubmasters Chief Adviser

2) Maintain Close Relationship with Chartered Organization

3) Supervise Pack Committee Operation

4) Assign Duties to, and Training Committee Members

5) Conduct Annual Pack Program Planning Conference

6) Approve Bills Before Payment by Pack Treasurer

7) Ask the Committee to Assist with Recommendations For Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster(s), Den Leader Coaches, Webelos Den Leaders and Den Leaders, as needed