More Training Questions

I like BALOO for DLs for the reasons I said before, but I agree there are parts of BALOO that might not readily apply to their Den focused roles.

And I agree, BW, we make DLs do too much - and they're often wearing more than the DL hat anyway - which is definitely too much!

Unfortunately, in my council/district RoundTables do not fill the skill set that BALOO fills. Our Council does a "Training Day" (similar to Pow Wow) annually, but most BALOO taught skills are not part of that day. Additionally, BALOO is offered several times a year, making it more accessible.

I get what BW is saying, but I disagree that BALOO is a good place to draw the training line for job descriptions. I think BALOO offers skills and knowledge readily usable by just about every adult leader in a Pack.

jd

OK, this post is more about general training and not specifically BALOO vs. any other cub-level training. I joined at the troop level (DH was Tiger Cub leader and is currently CC until our youngest crosses over). When I joined the troop I was encouraged to take all the training available, even though my position was treasurer. The thought being 1) the more training the better to understand how the BSA operates and 2) if I ever wanted to hold any other position, I would already be trained. Long story short, I'm now ASM/New Scouts and treasurer (those dual hats somebody mentioned).

I really don't see why you wouldn't go ahead and do it. In the corporate world, it's called cross-training - I supervise a relatively large staff and it's a biggie with me. Never have been a big fan of the logic that says "only teach them what they need to know." With no offense intended to anyone, that always seems just a little bit patronizing.

Vicki

The idea is not to withhold knowledge. Rather it is that one person can do one job and do it well. Try to add a second job and two jobs get done in a mediocre manner. Try to do them both well and your family suffers. Early burnout results.

By the way, it's not permitted to hold a committee job and an assistant SM job (or DL job) in the same unit.