Taking over Pack. Help!

Our Pack Leader wasn't able to find a replacement last year. I,(I am a Bear Leader) and the Tiger Leader (just started as a Den Leader last year), are going to take over. He's going to be Cubmaster, and I'm going to Assist. Both of us will be running our Dens as well. Our problem is that neither of us have a clue about running Popcorn, or how to recharter the whole Pack. We discussed the have-to points of the year, Re-charter, Popcorn, Christmas Party, Pinewood Derby, Blue and Gold, and Crossing Over Ceremony.

We are a small Pack of about 45 boys. We would like more Webelos though, as we only have two. Any Recruitment ideas?

This Forum has always been such a wonderful source of information. Both of us are feeling a little overwhelmed and looking ahead to a very stressful year. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

First...get more help.

Specifically, the Committee Chair should solicit volunteers and appoint someone to handle the Membership/Re-charter responsibilities and someone else to serve as the Popcorn Kernel. As CMs and DLs, you have enough on your plate already to be handling these support functions too. Your Unit Commssioner would be happy to explain the re-charter process to the committee.

While your at it, recruit teams with parent leaders to put together the major programming events (B&G, PWD) as well. As CM/ACM, you will certainly be a part of the programming teams, but share the load and give others the opportunity to let their talents for organization, promotion, etc. shine.

Wow, you need help, both inside the Pack and outside. Yes get the committee chair to find more adults. Many hands make small work and more fun!

Contact your District Commissioner and ask for help from a Unit Commissioner. These volunteers are experienced scouters who can help you see your way through the year's program.

Get everyone to training. The jobs are a lot easier if you've spent the short time getting the training.

Best of luck!

I've mentioned this before- mandatory volunteers are good. Make each family take a position within the pack. Three categories- one year position working with boys (ex.- CM or DL); one year position working with adults (ex.- CC, COR, treasurer); or volunteer for two events (derby, popcorn, Scouting for Food).

Talk to your District Exec for help with programs you haven't run before, or if there is another Pack nearby, find their event person and ask their advice on the event. The help is available, good luck.

Recuitment? Older boys like action. If you have a Back to School night coming up, set up a Pinewood derby track or raingutter regatta and let that bring the boys over. Give the boys you have invitations to hand out to their friends. Invite them to an ice cream social at the park- pack supplies ice cream and families bring toppings to share.

Once again good luck and don't give up hope!

CMM

Other ideas to consider along with the other great advice...

1. Roundtable. Most districts offer them, and they will be covering almost all of your questions soon.

2. With 45 boys, you have a medium pack and certainly should have a solid pool of potential leaders. You need to find a way to recruit more of them- and your most vital task may be to locate someone to do that job for you! Certainly the CC or COR should be doing some of it, but it sounds like that is not a great option for you (reading between the lines!)

YOU do not have to do the recruiting, all you have to do is ot make certain someone is doing it, and doing it well. There are a LOT of BAD ways to do this.

One idea to try, building on CM Mike's bit is to register FAMILIES, NOT Scouts! Make sure each parent understands, from Day 1, that they WILL be expected to pitch in. They can sign up now, or someone will be calling them. Reassure them that this does not mean a huge, pyramid-building type task and we want to use people's natural interests and skills. It is just more fun and fair if everyone shares the load!

(We always had sign-up sheets for known committees and jobs at registration day. You did not have to sign up at that time, but it acted as a nice visual reminder of the idea!)

Like Madkins007 stated, 45 scouts is NOT small!

We have about 35 and we have a pretty good parent (& former parent) volunteer group. Get to know your families. Find out which ones seem to have a grasp for the program & ask them face-to-face to do a particular job. It works. The parents aren't dummies. They know that there are jobs that need to be filled. Some of them have even considered doing those jobs, but chickened out when it came time for them to wave their hand. Find these folks, talk to them & help them to say YES!

A good tip on finding a willing volunteer - look for Girl Scouts. If a family has a girl in Scouts too, they are more likely to volunteer their time. A Girl Scout leader with cookie sale experience is a great find for a Popcorn Kernal!

Great ideas so far. I will add emphasis to OR Pioneer's suggestion on using the Unit Commissioner. There will be many dates and events (as you are already aware of some) that you will need to know. That is what they are there for.

Utilize your Fall recruitment drive (School Night For Scouting) to promote the need for volunteers. Continue this through to your first Pack Meeting to cover all parents. Start by emphasizing the small tasks. It can be an overwhelming thought for some to be asked to lead a whole Den. But let them all know what is needed! You didn't mention it but I assume you still have a Committee Chair. I assume he/she was with the Pack last year? Also, I will assume that the outgoing CubMaster is still in the area. Meet with him/her and go over what is needed.

One additional date that you need to look for is Camp sign up. In my Council, we have a lottery date in December that we have to get our reservations in by. A month or so later, we are then assigned a camp site and date for our respective camps based on our requests. If we fail to meet this lottery deadline, we are stuck with leftovers! Find out what is done in your Council.

Jerry

First, have both of you taken training? If not get Esentials and Specific ASAP. If is surprising how much you will learn from training. And I don't mean the online ones.

Also get with your Unit Commissiner for help.

Remember there are people out there that will help you.

1. Get trained. Start witht the basics and move on from there.

2. Get help. Go to your dens. Tell them that you've been asked to lead the pack. They should be excited about this. But it means that you'll need help at the den level. You will continue to be there every week and help any way possible, but you need someone to take on the role as den leader (or at least co-den leader, with you).

3. Get to the Roundtable. Great place to get ideas.

4. Get to know other Cubmasters. Do you know any around you that could help with popcorn and rechartering? If not, go to roundtable and get to know them.

5. Get to know your DE and District committee. They can help you navigate the waters as well.

Good luck.