I am working on a calender for the pack. Th is is just a rough draft that I am going to present to the comittee at the next meeting. What do you all think? Additions? Changes? Most of all, does it sound fun?

Kristi

PACK 582

2005-2006 CALENDER

August

19,20,21 Pack Family Camp

25 Roundup / Pack meeting

27-28 Family Camp - Buck Toms

September

10 NLE Training

10 Do the Zoo 9:30

11 Good Turn for America Day

17 District Day Hike

17 Ijams Nature Center Webelos Forester / Naturalist Badges

20 Pack Meeting / Bike Rodeo

24 Baloo / WLOT

24 World Conservation Day

October

8-9 Haunted Camp - Buck Toms

15 Pack and Paws Hike

14-16 District Camporee - Haunted Camp

18 Pack Meeting / Pumpkin contest

22 Ijams Nature Center Webelos Geologist / Naturalist Badges

November

15 Pack Meeting

1819,20 Fall Camp

December

19 Pack meeting / Cook off

31 - 1 New Years Lock In

January

17 Pack Meeting / Derby clinic

February

4-11 Scouting for food

12 Scout Sunday

21 Pack Meeting / Blue and Gold

25 District Lock In

March

4 University of Scouting

4 Ijams nature Center Webelos Geologist / Naturalist Badges

7 Pinewood Derby Clinic

14 Pinewood Derby Weigh In

18 Pack Pinewood Derby

21 Pack Meeting

April

1 District Derby

18 Pack Meeting

22-23 Webelos Woods - Buck Toms

29 Pack and Paws Picinic

May

16 Pack Meeting / Fishing

20 District Fishing Derby

Looks like a great year. Good luck with it!

A few comments...

Back-to-back family camping weekends in August?

Derby clinic two months before event?

Pack committee meetings?

PowWow..or is that your Scouting U?

You have alot of camping in the fall...maybe move one to Spring?

Following BSA themes?

Hi Kristi,

Definitely looks like fun. Nice job.

Coupla notes....

Committee meetings? Probably should get them on there to make sure they don't conflict with other events, or just fill up a weekend too much. Might want to put your Roundtables on there as well.

On our Troop calendar, we also put the main events from the local school district calendars, so that we know when breaks are, special events, etc, that we don't want to conflict with. Around here, Columbus Day is a long school weekend (the schools schedule their parent conferences and grading days at the end of the week prior to Columbus Day, and the kids have those days off as well), so we avoid scheduling Scout activities that weekend because we know many families will have other plans.

I agree with Semper that 2 campouts in a row might be a bit much.

Just a thought...a few years back we decided to start having 2 PWD workshops before the event. The first was called "shaping" and concentrated on car planning and basic cutting. We provided all the tools, including power tools like band saws, etc. This seemed to be really popular amongst tool-challenged parents and Tigers who hadn't raced before. Then, we had a workshop called "wheels and axles", for, well, wheels and axles. No car cutting, just working on polishing the axles, etc.

My 2 cents, and worth about that :)

The back to Back camps are for pack and council events. Any camp that says "Buck Toms " is a council event, I also tried to label District events accordingly. University of scouting is our Pow wow. And opps, June was cut off, that is when we do our spring camp and District Day Camp.

I admit that a derby clinic two months ahead may be a streach but last year my husband was helping boys cut cars 2 days before the race. We also get alot of complaints that certain boys (mine included) that have better looking cars. The cars look better because more time was spent on them. I figure if I can get the boys started with the basic design and cutting in January then by March they should be painting.

This isnt the final calender just what I am presenting to the committee. I thought we could schedule committee meetings together to prevent a conflict. Round tables are not on their yet but are the 3rd Thursday of each month and I mostly scheduled Saturdays and Tuesday events. I will add the school events after the committe aproves the calender so they don't get confused as to which activity is which (but I did consult the school calender when planning all of this ;) ). I will also be adding training dates for Leaderspecific before the committee meeting, just waiting to finalize that now.

Great advice, thanks for all the input. I hope to use the themes for den and Pack meetings and actually hope to have some "canned " meetings ready for the den leaders before Roundup.(This message has been edited by cajuncody)

I am not sure I understand. First off, the dates are only in the rough draft stages. Secondly, The only address I have given out here is a PO BOX or a general "East Tennessee" in the location box. If I hide dates from my Pack when will they know when to meet?

Kristi

Kristi,

Sorry if that came of as an attack. Was only a supposed to be a helpful tip to protect your unit. You are right that this is only a draft so I jumped the gun a bit. On the other hand, if you take the pack number in post and combine it with our state, Google will lead you right to your webpage where one of your scouters has posted his home address. My whole point was and is... be careful.

YIS,

John B.

Nice calendar! I'd only encurage you to preview some of next summer to emphasize that Scouting doesn't stop in June.

Add something like

June 2006 Pack Picnic

July 2006 Cub Scout Day Camp & Webelos Resident Camp.

If your District conducts a Webelos Woods, I'd add that too.

Looks like lots of fun!

Good Calendar and I like that you have the themes picked out for the pack meetings.

But you look too crowded in September and October. Within a ten day period in October you have two campouts a hike and a pack meeting. We would not schedule a pack campout with a district/council event that close. Very few (if any) cub families will do both campouts. So you will be splitting the pack because families will choose the more convenient weekend.

You also need something in January.

One more your bike rodeo falls 4 days before world conservation. Why not move the bike rodeo to the next month and hold a conservation themed pack meeting.

But really it looks like a solid calendar for a committee meeting.

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

The Camps in October are council camps. Our Pack Camp is Aug 19 and the one in November (which may just be a fall hike depending on weather). The Haunted camps by Council are repeated due to large participation. January looks bare but there is a few things on the school calender for then and I didn't want to conflict. Thanks for all the advice, This is my first yearly calender.

Kristi