A Broken hearted cub scout needs your help!

Greetings all,

I need your help. AS most of you know my son won best of design for the National Derby held at the annual meeting this past month. We took him to see his car in the museum and they have a spot for it to go on permanent display. However, someone from the breakfast held the day after took his car as the cars were being used for table displays. His car and about 24 other cars were taken even after it was announced that they were to go to the museum. The hope is that it was a simple miscommunication.

My son is heartbroken and in tears. My family is upset. If anyone knows anyone who attended the breakfast could you please pass the word that cars are missing and if they know anyone who may have taken them could you please ask them to return them to the museum. I am attaching a copy of the email that I received from the museum regarding this below. I have already checked with my council and they do not have it. Please help.

Kristi Cantor

Mrs. Cantor:

I received a message from (name removed for privacy) that you called to inquire about your son's winning Pinewood Derby car. I apologize that you stayed in the area to view the car. The museum did not receive the cars in time to display them that weekend.

After the Pinewood Derby competition was over, the cars were used as table decorations at a Breakfast. The crowd was asked not to remove the cars and were told that they would be going to the museum following the breakfast. Apparently some people misunderstood and over 25 cars were taken. Your son's car was one of these. I have notified Jerry Dehoney of Cub Scout Division that several cars are missing. We are hopeful that they were taken by Council representatives who did not understand that they weren't to remove the cars. You might want to contact your local council and see if they have it in their possession. So far we have had no luck tracking them down. If you would like to discuss this with Cub Scout division, you can call 972-580-2000.

I will keep you informed if we locate the missing cars.

Thank you,

(name removed for privacy)

Curator of Collections

National Scouting Museum

There is a problem Houston. It is big, dumb and silly. We want you to be aware because it is on the lose. It is hard to believe that this incident involved people over the age of two and I am not talking about the people that took the cars.

FB

Gee Fuzzy, I am sorry to say that I am put off by your post. I surely hope you are not refering to my son who is only 8. If he is big dumb and silly for being upset that someone (an adult mind you) took his car that was supposed to be on display in the National Scout Museum (which he was very proud of and wanted to go see) then I am not really sure that you need to even respond.

Please clarify your post for me so that I will know if my anger needs to be redirected.

I thought Scouts were supposed to be Trustworthy.

"RajunCajun"

I took that to mean that it was really dumb to use prize-winning museum pieces as "table decorations".

Surely the breakfast was by invitation only. Seems simple enough to contact each attendee and ask them to return the cars. Has the organizer done that?

FScouter,

Thanks for that tip, I hope that is what it means. It is hard to think too clearly with an upset cubby in the background expecting you to find his car somewhere in the US using only your good manners and typing skills.

Fuzzy,

I hope you understand my misunderstanding of your post. The whole situation is getting to me.

Kristi

Kristi,

The cars are very important to your son and other Scouts and should be to the people in charge of the banquet. It looks like from a distance that the people who put this on didn't understand what the cars meant to anyone or cared. If your son would have been in charge, I know this incident would not have happened. He obviously knows what he is doing and his anger is justifiable.

I apologize for understating my position on your son's noted accomplishment. Please tell him that his feat is well respected.

FB

Most of us have been hurt by some foolish thing outside of our control like this and I'm sure we all feel for you and your son.

I don't have anything really to offer, but was sorta wondering how hard it would be to get a list of attendees or at least councils represented. I don't have any idea how many this might include, but it might be a starting point- especially as I'd bet the other 24 families would help as well (if you can get their info as well).

If anyone from my council was there, I'd sure be willing to ask on your behalf.

I was told that most every council was represented at the breakfast so if any of you could check with your council it would be a help to my son and the others.

The really sad part is that my council has gotten my son a "LARGE" trophy for his accomplishment. He was so upset yesterday that they had me go ahead and tell him it was on the way. His response was "So What? My car is gone and nobody will ever get to see it." Now he knew from the start that his car wouldn't come back and it also seems that he knew the biggest reward in this was his car going to the museum. It is hard to think how the others with missing cars feel when I see him. We can't even just make another one (if you have seen the photos you know why) as it was a one of a kind not the quick wedge car that seems the preference to most.

Please check with your council to help all of the cars be found. My thanks to all of you.

Kristi

Actually FScouter, that was the first thing that came to my mind also.

Surely the Curator of Collections has (or can get o hold of) a list of people who attended the breakfast. Even if there were a couple hundred people present, they should be able to dig up some volunteers from Circle Ten Council to call everyone. Asking the parents of the missing car makers to do their legwork for them when they don't have any info is ludicrous.

Kristi, I would give the museum another call ask for the list of attendees. Since they don't sound like they are in any particular hurry to track down the missing cars (they do have others after all), they could at least give you a bit more to go on than just "contact your local council".

I don't blame you at all for being hot!

Cajun Cody,

My heart goes out to your little guy. What an accomplishment! And what a disgrace that the cars are missing. I just wanted you to know I sent an email to who I thought might have attended from my council as well, and if she did not, I asked her to find out who might have and forward the email to that person. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago. I sooooo hope the cars are returned!

Jens3sons

The only info I have right now on who might have attended is that the cars were supposed to be brought in by the SE's. I really appreciate all of you asking for me. The Scout folks in Irving are trying to complile a list of who was there and send out email's to those that have email and snail mail to those that don't. I think that with all the divirsity on this forum that maybe you all are my best hope for speeding this up.

I really hope that someone will find that maybe a box of cars has been overlooked somewhere because only my council or the museum folks should have had any right at all to our Council's car. The fact that neither of them have it is really sad. They showed the photo of the winning cars on the overhead at the breakfast so who ever took it new it was one of the winners.

Still keeping hope

Kristi