Flaming Neckerchief Ceremony.

I was looking for the flaming neckerchief ceremony. I would need all the how to information, Sense this would be my first attempt at this ceremony.

Thanks all.

It's simple. Before the boys cross over the bridge (either real or makeshift) you set fire to their current neckerchiefs, while they are still wearing them. On the other side of the bridge, their new den leader throws them into the river (or dunks their head in a bucket of water) to put out the flames.

What? That's not how it goes? Geez, next you'll be telling me we can't hang our Bobcats upside down by their boots until they do a good turn.

The Burning Neckerchief

A neckerchief is lit on fire, but does not burn.

Set-up: Water collected from a magical spring will protect the neckerchiefs of boys that are ready to earn their rank. If the neckerchief is soaked in the solution, it will burn but will not be consumed by the fire, but only if the boy has worked hard and knows his requirements.

The neckerchiefs are collected and, one at a time, placed in the solution. They are held up by the corners and passed across a candle flame. The neckerchief will burn, but soon goes out, leaving the warm, steaming fabric unharmed. It is returned to the boy and the next candidate is tested.

Materials: Alcohol

Water

Coat hanger or tongs

Metal bowl

Candle

Matches

Fire extinguisher

Alcohol is a flammable liquid. Use care when it is near heat or flame. Be aware of your environment, especially the potential for igniting combustibles above you, or setting off fire alarms and sprinkler systems. Keep boys away from the flames, fuels, and have a safety and evacuation plan in place and practiced prior to attempting this ceremony.

The Secret: Mix alcohol and water equally in the metal bowl. Soak the neckerchief in this solution, making sure to mix it well, and stretch out over the coat hanger or hold with the tongs so that there are no folds or creases. Pass the neckerchief through the candle flame and the alcohol fumes will light and burn. The water will protect the neckerchief itself. When the alcohol is gone, the neckerchief will go out.

Use care with Webelos neckerchief. The alcohol may cause the colors to bleed, and the patch may melt or burn since it does not soak up as much water to protect it.

Keep the burning neckerchief and candle several feet from the bowl of alcohol and water.

Once the neckerchief is soaked, move immediately to the flame and light it, before the alcohol has evaporated.

Instead of doing this with every necker, you might just do one from each level and have them prepared before hand. I would also suggest taking the patches off of the prepared neckers.

I did this at our crossover this year and it was such a hit that no one took any photos of the actual burning neckerchief as all were too busy watching. I still have my script if you want I can email it to you.

One thing though, I used Acetone and it worked very well. I also removed the Webelos patch.

Kristi

Our Pack added a great trick to the end of this trial. The Neckerchief of the outgoing Cubmaster was tested in the same manner as the Weblos. Unfortunatley his Necker burned, and was invited to remain with the Pack as long as he could.

CE

Some or one will probably try to duplicate the same stunt at home without the same success or care.

Kids just love fire and are concrete thinkers. In an attempt to increase the novelty of fire, adults like to take an extra step or two, mainly for themselves. Fire all by itself is simply novel to kids. You can get the same results by building a safe fire and everyone watch it. You can use candles. You can strike a match.

It doesn't make any difference, same results.

FB