Family Camping-YP-GSS

Our Pack is having a Family Camping trip in a couple of weeks. One family due to private issues is unable to attend but would like their son to attend. A parent of another family has agreed to be resposible for this Scout. This family will be in attendance with two Parents, their two sons and this Scout.

When I heard about this propossed situation YP-GSS alarms went off in my head. I don't know what the proposed sleeping arrangements are but I am assuming the family and the assumed responsibility Scout will all be in the same tent.

I seek your advice, input, warnings, etc.

Ask about the proposed sleeping arrangements. The boys may all be in one tent and the adults in another (nearby if necessary), but the only adult allowed in the tent with Scouts is a parent or legal guardian.

I interpret the GTSS term "guardian" as "legal guardian".

With that in mind, one common GTSS mistake is allowing the boy and an uncle to sleep in the same tent. This is NOT allowed (unless of course the uncle IS the legal guardian).

The only real alternative is to have the boy sleep in a tent with another Scout, and to have their parents/guardians sleep nearby in separate tents.

If cabins are used there must be separete sleeping facilities for male youth and female youth. Male adults may be in the same cabin as the male youth but they must have a privacy barrier that blocks the view of each group form the other. There must be a minimum of two Youth Protection trained adult males in the cabin with the boys, or no adults at all.

Adult females must be in a separate sleeping facility from the adult and youth males. They may stay with the female youth.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The cabin has a main room and a smaller room, both with bunks. The main room will be for males and the smaller room for females.

Does a tent with seperate rooms count as seperate sleeping facilities? Say a three room tent with the parents in one room, the older Son in another room and the younger son and the Scout from the other family in the last room.

Nope that is one tent.

Can a barrier to block the view between adults and youth as they change be created in the main cabin area? If so a separate room for the females is adequate. By the way only one of the male adults will require youth protection training

I suppose we can string a rope across the room and drape some blankets over it to create a barrier from view. Most people usually sleep in tents and not the cabin. The main reason we reserve cabin site is for females and cooking.

I think I have a good understanding of what we need to do. Thanks everyone for your assistance.(This message has been edited by Balding Eagle)

If the cabin has a bathroom that can be used for changing you don't need to worry about hanging blankets.

If the family of your "lone scout" has a tent, maybe he could bring it with for the boys to sleep in. That would give the other family a bit more room in their tent & solve the whole problem.

You could also ask to borrow a tent from a Troop.

Have fun!

Just to clarify a bit... Here's the applicable pieces from the Guide to Safe Scouting...

"Note: Bold type denotes rules and policies.

Separate accommodations.

When camping, no youth is permitted to sleep in the tent of an adult other than his own parent or guardian."