Lost Webelos I wants to come back NOW for Webelos II

So the boy was gone the whole school year, you see him in a store and he says he wants to come back and now you cant get hold of him?

At this point you have "done your best" to borrow from the motto. Time to move on. If it was really imporatant to the boy, thenhe should be contactingyou at this point.

We had a similar situation. Dad was Webelos 1 leader and boy in den, come Webelos 2 year,the boy and dad did not show up. Dad said they were still around, but another parent took over the den. One month before AOL and bridging, dad said they were not moving on to boy scouts but would be back for the AOL ceremony. The fact that the boy had not participated or shown any sign of interest this year was enough for me. I asked the den leader how she felt it would affect the other boys letting this one get the award without being active for the year. Mixed feelings in the den. We set his awards aside in case he walked into the ceremony, but did not push for him to attend. When he didn't show up, the awards went back into the advancement bin. Life goes on.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ang, I think you just summarized my entire experience as a parent of 3 teenagers (current ages 22, 18 and 13) in one sentence!

Mine are not teenagers, yet (12, 10 and 6).  I was hoping it would get a little easier to see the big picture!

Ang

My son's Webelos books says :

Be active in your Webelos den for at least 6 months since completing the 4th grade (or for atleast 6 months since becoming 10) and EARNING the Webelos badge

I understand that to say

they have to be atleast 10 1/2 or

a Webelos for 6 months or

finished 4th grade...

An active member means just that. Actively involved. Not missing 3 or meetings in a row is how our Web Leaders understands it.

THAT is in our Pack Bylaws.... (maybe you should check your bylaws for the same thing)