Help! re: Rank Advancement

Our Pack has traditionally (I have no idea why) distributed all rank and arrow point awards at the Blue and Gold in May. (another irritant)

As Bear Den Leader and Asst. Cubmaster-in-waiting, I think it is a travesty for the Pack to withhold recognition for this long. Most of the Wolves, a third of the Bears and most of the Tigers have already finished their rank requirements. I quietly organized a rank ceremony and was going to just add it to the next Pack Meeting (next week).

Our Cubmaster is leaving (In fact we missed our January re-charter date that officially replaced him because he was too busy to get it done. ) and the new Cubmaster is hesitant to make any changes to 'this year' because he doesn't want to step on toes. I figure that this is fundamentally about the boys and I couldn't care less about the ego of a grown man.

My fear is that we are missing a great opportunity to retain our boys. It is not that we will lose them if we don't have the ceremony until May, but we have a better chance of retaining them (and recruiting new boys) if we act quickly (especially before Spring Recruiting).

What I really need, is some good advice on how to push this. I wanted to give at least my Bears their badges, but the card needs the Cubmaster signature. Are there some good references to point to that show that rank cannot or at least should not be withheld? How can I convince these men that the boys come first?

Give the boys their rank and ask the Cubmaster (afterwards) if he is willing to sign the cards. If not, print his name on them. Neither of the Packs my son has been in have given the cards. This would be my advice, but I don't exactly care whose toes I step on.

Katrina

Look thru the Cub Scout Leader Book, I think they stress immediate recognition at least every other page. OK, maybe not quite that much, but it is in there. Look under advancement, highlight the paragraphs and show it to the CM.

For rank you don't need the pocket certificates. If your CM is unhelpful, either skip them, give them unsigned, or print his name. The only thing you need is for your advancement person to fill out the Pack Advancement form.

Talk to the other Den Leaders & see if they would like to do a multi-rank ceremony with you. There are lots of nice ones out there that do not take up a lot of time.

Give the boys what they have earned. According to BSA (Cub Scout Leader Book) page 18-3, the "Cubmaster is to ensure that the boys who earn awards receive them at the next pack meeting".

Also the advancement checklist asks: Do boys receive prompt recognition?

I would show this to the new Cubmaster and if he doesn't agree with it take it up with the CC.

Nothing is gained by holding back a boys recognition for what he has accomplished.

CMF

Do you have to have the advancement person turn in the advancement. I hope not, because I have signed the sheet and turned it in ever since I have been a leader. We don't have a advancement person. I actually turn in advancements for the whole Pack. The other 3 leaders let me know if they need anything the week before a Pack meeting. That way I can get the advancements and get my husband's outline mader out (he is the CM).

belt loops and beads should go out immediately or as soon as possible at den meetings. Don't wait for a pack meeting. Rank advancements and webelos activity pins should be given out at the very next pack meeting after award is earned. SO you mayhave only one or two rank awards at each pack meeting. It shows the the other boys and parents steady progress by the pack!

Get those rank cards out. One of the coolest things I've shown the boys in the pack is my Webelos Arrow of Light card from 1972.