Troop rep at Pack B/G - What is expected?

I have been selected (with my son) to represent our troop at a Blue Gold banquant and cross-over ceremony where a few of the WEBELOS have selected our troop to move into after CS. As I start to think about it, I am wondering what role I am expected to play in this ceremony, if any, as the pack is "associated" by number and sponsorship with another troop. Any help/ideas? The B/G is 2/19.

Show up with a smile...and in full uniform (great opportunity for your son to wear his sash).

Try and call the Cubmaster of the pack to see what is expected of you as part of crossover beforehand. In all likelihood, props or whatever else is used at crossover will be provided by the pack or affiliated troop.

If you can't get hold of him beforehand, go prepared to make a little speech about how much the troop is looking forward to the new scout joining and how much fun he will have (there is a good chance you will not be called on to say anything, but if you are you will at least be prepared). Go prepared with whatever acoutrements your troop gives to scouts at crossover (troop neckerchief, slide, red loops, handbook, troop numbers etc.). Prepare your son in advance for his help in welcoming the scout publicly.

If you weren't able to reach the CM by phone, get a minute or two of his time (and the other SMs time) just before the event starts to understand how it will proceed.

Have fun!(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

There's an old scoutmaster around here that handles it great. As Semper said, he shows up with his SPL & Troop Guide. He brings the epaulettes, neckerchief, slide, etc. While the boys are "re-outfitting" him, he shakes is hand and in a real quiet tone welcomes him to the troop and tells him how much he's looking forward to working with him. I've tried to emulate his ways, but feel I have some big shoes to fill.

Good reply Semper. Also, I found some Packs call up Webelos and send him across the bridge without mentioning the troop they are joining. It can be stressful for the SMs if they aren't sure they know the scouts joining their troop. So find and meet your Webelos before the ceremony. I've seen this happen a few times because many times the adult who recruited the scouts isn't the one at crossover.

I pretty much let our scouts do most of the work with me just shaking the scouts hand.

Barry

My question is why is the CM running what should be a Boy Scout ceremony? Crossover is entry into the Troop and should be run by the Troops.

Every Troop in our district and every troop I have ever been associated with the SM runs crossover.

I really did not get the philosophical intent of your original post.

IMO, the best crossovers are collaborative efforts on the part of the pack and troop. It is a saying goodbye and a welcoming anew - both should be involved in the planning and execution to do it justice.

I have seen many crossovers that were fully pack planned and executed, and only a handful that were fully troop events. I don't ever recall the BSA saying it should be one way or another.

Please do get in touch with the Cub Master or the CC of the pack to find out how elaborately they "do it". It should be a 'joint ceremony.

Our Pack crosses over the month after B&G so that it can be a big deal for the Webelos II's...the Pack has a bridge and the Troop ( SM, usually, SPL and a whole patrol or more) waits on the other side. The Webelos crossing over are called one by one and at the edge of the bridge, the Cub Master takes off their neckerchief and gives them a Boy Scout Handbook (the packs parting gift to the boy) CM says a few words about the boy (as this is happening one of our boy scouts has quietly crossed the bridge) The boy scout takes off and places His Troop neckerchief around the shoulders of the 'new scout' (actually GIVES- this is our troop gift to new scouts) and leads him over the bridge where he is welcomed by the SPL and the other Boys scouts. We do this with a differnt Boy Scout for every new scout crossing over). After all have crossed, the SPL leads the New scouts (and old) in the SCOUT LAW and Promise the Scout Master says some nice works about looking forward to the exciting times the new boys will have and we thank the Pack for their boys...fini

WE Have done this for as many as four different packs each year, for anywhere from 1 to 10 boys at a time...if a boy wants to cross to our troop, we will send a patrol, a stack of new neckerchiefs and an ASM/Sm to welcome him.

be prepared...

What anarchist's troop does sounds similar to what our troop does. Our Scoutmaster and several boys (always including the SPL and ASPL) wait on the other side of the bridge to receive the Webelo who is crossing over. He is then surrounded by the Boy Scouts, who take off his blue loops, put on the red loops, take off his plaid neckerchief and put on his new red neckerchief, and give him his book. The new Boy Scout then stands with the troop members until all of the Webelos have crossed and been transformed into their new accessories.

Elizabeth

I took the advice on this thread and called the CM. He indicated that another troop was "running" the cross over. He indicated we could let the other troop do all of the cerimony if we wanted, but in my mind that would not reflct well on our troop. I am in the process of obtaining the things we present to the webelos, which is very similar to the items Anarchist noted, for this event. The event is 2 hours after our return from an overnight Polar Bear campout (it's expected to drop near 10 F) and Klondike Derby, so I have to be ready before tomorrow. Thanks to all who responded!

No matter how many different Troops our Webelos are going to we only do 1 ceremony. We will group the boys together according to the Troop they are going to and the SM/ASM of that Troop will welcome them as they "cross over" in their own fashion.

Also, this will be the first time in 10 years that the Boy Scouts put together the crossover ceremony for the Webelos (they are all going to the same Troop). Usually the Pack comes up with the ceremony.

We regularly show up along with other troops at certain crossovers... with troop "A" doing their thing and Troop "B" doing their thing...and us doing 'something-or-the-other'. We make a point of trying not to up-stage the 'home troop' but we ask the CM to have the other troops do their ceremony and we do ours...never had a problem yet!

Most CMs want the Webelos to have a good night and do their best to make it happen!

Thought I would report back on the B/G event. The CM and the CC for the pack ran a great event for the boys, and my son and I were the only troop reps that were present for the food. The cross over ceremony had three troops involved, but the ceremony was set by the pack. We were there to welcome the boy after he went through a tunnel comprised of Tiger, Bear, and 1st yr Webelos. The event was a good time for me to talk to the 1st yr webelos about our troop.

MIscouter,

Great to hear it went well!

Now that you have made contact with a group of Webelos 1s keep it up. Send a couple of scouts to help the DL during den meetings occaisionally(with his/her ok). Heck provide them a Den Chief. Invite them to observe one of your camps (day visit). Have a scout skills training day for them...When they are ready have them camp along side your unit ...make them comfortable with scouting and your boys...'LOCK THEM INTO THE TROOP'. We hear lots of 'woe is me' tails about Webelos retention...this is the best thing you can do to keep those boys in scouting!

good luck!