What is the appropriate scout uniform to wear to a funeral when part of the troop is going? As much of the full uniform as each boy has? Just the shirt, tie and slide as long as each boy has them? Should a sash be included? OA sash? Is a black arm band ok? The deceased was a brother of a boy in our troop but not a scout; however, the family is big into scouting.

yarrow

I can only imagine what the Scout is going through. I will put him and his family in my thoughts and prayers. I'm not an expert but my gut tells me that going to the funeral and wearing a uniform will mean quite a bit to the family. I would personally go with Field Uniform Shirt, Pants, Necerchief and Slide.

YIS

Paul

Yarrow,

If you are attending a funeral in the capacity of a Scout, you should wear a full uniform. What ever the full uniform for your troop is. OA sash is only worn if attending as a member of the OA for the purpose of honoring a departed OA member with the broken arrow ceremony. OR If you are attending as a representative of the OA, not just as a scout. I suggest attending as a troop at a pre arranged time.

I think it depends. Is the family REALLY into scouting? Are you attending as a troop or as individuals? Each situation is different. Recently, a stepfather of a Scout passed away in our troop. One man chose to attend in his BSA uniform. He was the only one and it seemed oddly out of place. On the other hand, a Cub Scout from our pack passed away a few years back. As I recall, the den and many others did wear their BSA uniforms. It seemed very appropriate. I really think only the people directly involved can answer that question - "uniform or suit?" What does your gut tell you?

I feel as though I have had more experience in this area than I ever wanted to have. I've reached that age where the people who trained me in scouting, and whose shadow I developed in, are passing away all to quickly. I also had the unfortunate circumstance of two scouts in the pack I served as Cubmaster, die within 6 weeks of each other. It took a long time for us to recover.

In all but one case, the families let the scouting community know what they wishes were. Most asked that we wore our uniforms. In one case I saw the obituary of a scouter I had not seen in over 15 years. He was a long time scouter and a man who helped train me. I went to his wake in uniform, and I was the only scouter there. On the Altar were 3 things that sigified his life, a tool from his shop, a photo of him with his wife and children, and a loving cup he won as a 16 year-old Sea Scout in a yacht race.

His family was deeply touched that the scouting community remembered him after all these years and thanked me for being in uniform.

I guess I'm saying the same as the others. Follow the family wishes and when all else fails follow you intuition.

My condolences to your scouting family,

Bob White

The troop chose to wear shirt, tie and slide and to skip the sashes. Everyone looked nice and the family and troop member were appreciative. It will be hard for all the boys, but since they all come from different schools coming as a troop (which is how they know this boy and his sibling) was the tie that binds in this case. Thanks for your condolences.

Our troop attended the funeral of one of our boys. We all wore the full uniform, at the specific request of the family. At the next troop meeting we constructed a flag pole and performed a formal flag raising ceremony, raising the flag and lowering to half staff in honor of our fallen Scout. Tributes were offered. Although no family members were present, they were touched to know that the troop cared enough to honor their Boy Scout.