What does the DE do all day?

Cubbobwhite,

please forgive my English sense of humor.

I hate them DE's that are androids they seem to start out K, but once the battery runs low on power there is only one course of action - Promote them to Field Director. When their eyes start flashing red it is time to send them to Scout Executive reprogramming.

Yes give me a real person any day of the week.

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist.

Eamonn

BadenP,

I think you missed the point that my last posting was a joke.

I posted earlier what I think a DE does all day.

DE's come in all shapes and sizes just as there are DE's that do an outstanding job, there are other that don't. The DE that served our District for the last eight years was one of the very best.

The new Lad that started on Oct 1st? The jury is still out on that one.

As a very active District Chairman who is also a Council Board Member At Large (I also serve on the committee that oversees the Salary and renumeration for our professionals) Along with serving on the Area Committee. I see a lot of DE's. I hear a lot of reports about DE's. I do think that we the volunteers are guilty of not treating them with the respect that they deserve. While every DE should understand that most volunteers work during the day and phone calls in the evening are to be expected. I think people phoning after 9:00 PM unless there is a dire emergency are just being rude. I feel the same way about weekend calls.

Treating DE's like dogs-bodies is an insult.

At times our expectations as to what a DE knows are way too high. While there are some who have a wealth of Scouting knowledge, there are others who know very little. This does not in my book prevent them from being great DE's. As long as they admit that they don't know and do their best to point the person asking in the direction of the person or people who do have the knowledge.

I have to admit to being very taken back at a Regional Meeting last month which Scout Professionals attended at how many new DE's were there and how many had less than a year in.

It would seem that something isn't working. I have spoken to a lot of people who should know why we are having such a tremendous turn over and as yet no one can put a finger on it.

I sat in on the interview of our new DE. The Field Director was in charge. He kept on saying about being a sales person. When he did the introductions his big line to me was that the new DE is an Eagle Scout. I'm still trying to put them two factoids together? I explained to him that Quality District was a very high priority in our District and that Membership and Finance were the areas that he would be doing the most work. I'm not sure as yet if he really understands that I was really serious. Our DE's are lucky in that they do not have any program or Council assignments, that is left to the Program Director.

Still it is a hard job. Made harder because most volunteers do not know the pressure that is put on DE's to ensure that they meet Membership and Finance goals.

Eamonn.

"It would seem that something isn't working. I have spoken to a lot of people who should know why we are having such a tremendous turn over and as yet no one can put a finger on it."

I can tell you why we have losta fewgood DEs over the past 15 years here in my council - lack of family time. Their wives got tired of being the only parent home, the intrusion of the job on their marriage, things of this nature. In all cases, the men took jobs that paid the same, but had hours that were more regular (and a whole lot less of them per week).

Another reason for the "one year wonders" - many think they are going to get paid to do Scouting. And then they have a big awakening when they find out what the job really is all about.

CBW

I am still learning about just what it is that the DE does all day. So far I have figured this much out:

1) They have a thankless job

2) They work too many hours

3) They dont get paid enough

4) They do what no one else wants to do

4) Im not sure that even they know what it is that theyre supposed to be doing

and

5) They are the glue that keeps the program moving ahead in spite of all the big egos, loudmouths, and other competing interests that we volunteers have.

Having said that Ill continue.. We have a new DE, you all know the kind, a very nice young man right out of college. Hes been here for about four months now, and its time for him to go to training. So we send him to training. Two weeks in Irving, TX. Paid transportation, and two weeks of meals and lodging in a hotel.

Granted this is a business trip for him, but I come from the school that says: Dont ask anyone to do anything that you wouldnt do yourself. They certainly dont ask us to stay in hotels.

So then why is it that our financially challenged Council has to foot the bill for all of this? When we go to training, I pay my own way, and I sleep in whatever accommodations are provided, ie; cabin or tent.

This time of year BSA has dozens of camps with wonderful cabins available and waiting for any customers. So why arent these facilities being used? Why are we being asked to shell out big bucks for a guy whose personal agenda will be tailored to getting out of our council?

Actually, my understanding is that the council does not pay for your new DE to go to Irving for training.

National pays for that.

As to staying in a hotel vs. staying in a tent -- I will stay in a tent as a volunteer, and do it cheerfully and willingly. But if my company were to suggest it, I'd be very unhappy.

Are you going to begrudge your DE staying in a hotel during training on national's nickle because you stay in a tent when you volunteer to go to training?

I would hope and think not.

It's probably the guy's first business trip. Why not let him enjoy it?

Unc.

District Executives seem to be always put down for wanting to advance. I don't understand that. Advancing in your career in part of every profession.

I realize that the entry level positions are usually at the smaller councils - I am a volunteer in one of those. And, if we are lucky, we have a DE stay with us for three years before he promotes out. I say, if we are lucky, because it is at the entry level where most DEs decide whether they are going to continue in the profession (or have it decided for them). Many quit after only one year.

At the moment, in my council, we have one DE who has been here for 2.75 years, one who has been here for 1 year and an SE who has been here for 1.5 years. That is our entire professional staff.

CBW

I certainly understand business trips.....been there, done that, too often.

And I dont' really mean to imply that they should spend two weeks in a tent, in northern Maine in mid October. But we do have some outstanding camp facilities throughout the country. Some of these facilities rival a mid range hotel or conference center. I just think that there is a better way to do this. Although if national is paying the way maybe I should say, "Who cares!" or "So What

On the other hand, maybe if there was some discomfort associated with the training, they would get the idea to present the training in a efficient manner and let the participants go home sooner than later. Much of the overnight training/seminars that I've done with BSA could have been completed in less time. Sure I enjoy sitting around with other leaders trading war stories, but I'd rather be home with my wife and son.

"On the other hand, maybe if there was some discomfort associated with the training, they would get the idea to present the training in a efficient manner and let the participants go home sooner than later. Much of the overnight training/seminars that I've done with BSA could have been completed in less time. Sure I enjoy sitting around with other leaders trading war stories, but I'd rather be home with my wife and son."

You are assuming allot in how PDL is run. There isn't much trading of war stories going on at PDL 1. These men and women are new to the profession. They are there to learn the ins and outs of their job - everything from FOS tomembership to District structure to United Way to everything else that is required of a District Executive. They had a project to complete before they arrived and one to present once they are there. And they are each evaluated and that evaluation is sent back to their SE. A poor evaluation could actually mean unemployment when they returned to their home council.

PDL 1 is held in Irving because that is where the National office is. In other words, that is where the professional base is. It is much cheaper to have the trainees there than to provide transportation to the various professionals that are required toteach their portion of the training.

Whose discomfort would make the training any shorter? The only ones who would be uncomfortable would be the trainees, since the trainers come in and out as needed.