Begging your pardon, Bobwhite, but can you tell me where you get your info that there must be 2 registered den leaders for a Tiger Den? Charter does not require it, nor do Quality Unit requirements. I was not told in training, nor is it anywhere in the Cub Scout Leader Book or the Tiger handbook.

In fact, I don't even need two registered den leaders to go on a field trip. According to G2SS, I need 1 registered leader and 1 other adult over 21. Since I have a Tiger den and all the parents have to be there for everything, voila, I have plenty of adults over 21.

However, don't get me started on the mess the pack leaders started when I told the parents that I wanted to meet in the afternoon and that a parent or guardian was required to be at all meetings. I was put on the spot, having not been told that I was going to make a presentation, so I hadn't really had time to think about meeting times. I was told that I was being "exclusionary" if I insisted on meeting in the afternoon and having parents there. I was also told that the Tiger Den leader 2 years ago had met in the afternoon with only rotating parent help. I was also told that they had called council and council had said that it was a "suggestion" that parents be there. I replied that I was sorry but I really wasn't interested in violating BSA rules (and quoted the appropriate passage from the Leader Book), but I would be happy to consider meeting at night.

We got over it and our den is going just great. Week after next is the first time a parent will be leading the meeting, due to our late start I ran our 1 meeting in Oct. and 2 in Nov.

Now to figure out the best way to approach them about the monthly raffles that have unfortunately become a featured attraction for Pack Meetings. "Gee, I was looking at the Money-Earning Application, and noticed that it said something about not allowing raffles..."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic