Cub Resident Camp

Our Resident Camp offers programs for Wolf through Webelos. Sam Houston Area Council got a new camp recently ... Bovay Scout Ranch. The only minor problem is that it can get quite hot in the middle of summer! My son and I went there three years ago and we (as well as the rest of the camp it seems) spent most of our free time in the pool. Our Council camp has a variety number of "fun activities." The cub doesn't earn any activity badge nor belt loop (when we were there); however, the boys would have lots of fun though! The camp has BMX bike track, bb gun range, archery range, a mine to mine gold, paddle wheel boat, simulated archaeological diggs, etc.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I'm headed out the door to be the Aquatics Director for our Council's Cub Resident Camp. I just finished up as AQ Dir for Boy Scout resident camp and I had a blast.

Everyone says that Cub resident camp is fun, but I have some reservations as this is my first time working with this age group. I've only worked with cubs a few times before as the judge for the Dist Rain gutter Regatta, and being at a few B&G banquets as a FOS presenter.

Wish me luck!!!(This message has been edited by purcelce)

Our council used to offer a: Wolf Camp, Bear Camp Webelos Scout 1 and Webelos Scout 2 camp. A couple of year back they put all the Webelos Scouts together and all the Cub Scouts together.

Webelos Scout Camp is a day longer.

I think this was done because of poor attendance at the Wolf camp which was a parent and son deal.

Sad to report we still have to crack the Cub Resident Camp nut. Boy Scout camp will see over 1,500 Boy Scouts and Cub Camps will only see about 200 at resident camp. The Parent son weekends for cub scouts do well, with about 800 attending over the summer. Some people feel that the parent son weekends are taking Cub Scouts away from the Cub Scout resident camps.

Each district supplies he staff for the parent son weekends. The cost is $45.00 for the weekend. The parents and sons arrive at 10:00 on Saturday have a round robin of activities are served lunch and dinner, then there is a camp fire after breakfast the next day they go home.The gross income is about $36,000. With only the cost of food, a few program supplies and overhead costs to come out. So I think that they will be around for a while.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Our Council uses the same campground for the Webelos Resident camp and Cubs Resident camp. They are held on seperate dates from one another. The Council also holds Cub Day Camp at another campground. I'm not sure how many they get to sign up for Cub Resident. I'm making an assumption, but since Cub Resident requires a parent to attend, that means vacation time for the parent involved. Most parents send their sons off to Boy Scout camp by themselves. Cub Day Camp only needs an adult to transport kids back and forth each day. I doubt that Cub Resident will ever grow very large since it requires parents to attend overnight during the week and since it has competition from the Day Camp.

Here in the Ozark Trails Council in Southern Missouri we have a grest Cub Resident Camp at Frank Childress Scout Reservation.

It is open to Wolf & Bear Cubs and Webelos.

It runs 6 or 7 sessions each summer with a session running either Sun-Tues or Thurs-Sat. Ususally the camp is full with 150-200+ boys per session. We went 2 weeks ago for the Jul 1-3 session. The camp was alomost empty with only some 50 boys in attndence - this probably due to it being a holiday weekend. We found it much better though with the fewer boys in camp.

Daily activities included Archery, BB Gun Shooting, Crafts, Nature and Swimming plus a theme activity. This year the theme for Cubs was Miners and the theme for Webelos was Pirates.(Which was great because the camp has a wooden ship!)

This was our (my son and me)third year to attend. The boys all seemed to have great time - though some whose parents were there decided to leave because of the storms. Our Pack had 17 boys attend and I was very proud of them for the smiles not whines while it rained most of the 3 days! Character Counts!

Meals are served in the dining hall except for second night dinner, the camp provides the makings for foil packs and we cook at the camp site.

Matt our DE is the Camp Director and he and his staff did a fine job. We are lucky that the camp is just outside of Joplin where we are, since our council covers most of the southern 1/4 of the state. Packs come from all over the council.

My only complaint is that at the end of the camp we recieved a list of achievements the boys completed through their participation at camp and I think they were giving a few of those away.

I have a speical place in my soul for Cubs & Cub Camp, having served on staff two years in the 70's at SHAC Cub Day Camp at Camp Strake. Do they still have that down there?

YIS,

ronvo

Ron Vocelka

Cubmaster

Pack 17

St. Mary's Catholic Church

Joplin, MO

Eamonn our Council is much like yours. We have 4 parent/pal total 730, 3 Day Camps total 300, 4 weeks of resident total 300 with about 100 of these being three dayers and 3 or 4 packs included in this number are out of Council . The adventure three day runs Sunday thru Tuesday and week long Sunday thru Friday.

Parent/pal also makes a lot of money for our Council so the only change I see coming is less weeks of resident camp and more Par/pals.

Can somebody point me to the 1:1 ratio for Resident Camp? I checked the G2SS which mentions this ratio for other camping, but not resident camp. I was going to check the National Camp Standard binder, but it is at camp with my wife. I don't recall seeing it there last time I looked.

EagleWB

I don't think 1:1 is required a Concil Cub Resident camp, any way it isn't at ours. All they rewuire is 2 deep plus 1 more for each additional 10 cubs over 20 (qty of cubs not age!)

Plus my hypothetical question about 1:1 is parents who have more than one son who is a cub and is attending 1:1 would be impossible!

ronvo

While I'm not 100% sure I think that because the staff at Council ran camps have been "Camp School Trained" They fall under a different set of standards then pack camping. Many of the ratios are set by the council. In my day it was one on four but it was changed to one on five. I never asked why.

Eamonn

Cub Resident Camp is a new thing this year here. Basically they are tacking it onto the last week of Webelos Resident camp and running much the same program and staff, just geared down a bit. It won't be held until week after next and I've not heard how the registration is running.

I'm interested to see how it works out. They didn't really promote it that well. No one from my pack is going although we have a crowd going to WRC. I'd love to see it take off and pull some of the boys from the day camp I run. Any thing that gives us some relief would be great. This year we had over 330 Cubs for the week of day camp. Too dang many!