Pocket Knives/ Totem Cards

I made a pledge using the safety rules and had them sign it. Don't know if it did any good but anyway....

Also I see someone mentioned not taking it to school but I would STRESS that highly. These days there is NO TOLERANCE whatsoever.

We did a little game of naming places and shouting yes/no whether they could carry their knife there.

A very large and profound "round" of applause to all!

Your posts are sound, very thoughtful and greatly appreciated.

I think I will start with "fotoscout"'s approach. However, for the first week we will use "twocubdad"'s idea involving wooden knives. One primary change will be the use of pre-profiled wooden tongue depressors. Soft wood is soo much easier for me to work with than oak. The depressors are cheap, I can get them at the local First Aid Squad for nothing, they are easy to profile into a knife shape, they need NO ripping, are about the right length/width and should prove east to "sharpen" for my Bears. I believe my Scouts will have an easier time learning or redoing the basic handling techniques with these depressors too.

I will most likely purchase the basic "Official Cub Scout Knife". $13.00/each. Brass lockback. Looks very cooool on the belt loop.

I have already informed the Scouts that they may only wear and/or use the knife at Scout Meetings and Scout events. No exceptions. My Scouts and the Parents will know the rules, demonstrate the rules and acknowledge the rules by signing the "card before getting the knife".

I have also told the Scouts and Parents that the knives remain my possessions. Any serious or repeated misuse of the knife will result in my repossessing the knife. The Scout and Parent may retake the instruction prior to reissue of the knife.

I think I've covered all the basics.

Again, thank you for your posts!

Have FUN,

Roy

Well, I couldnt find the knife on the website, but you may want to go to imsplus.com and email/call them and look for a small lockback carabiner knife. I got mine nearly 9 months ago so they may no longer carry them. It's not the greatest, but it works for me.

Now that you mention it, Roy, I got my wooden knife idea from somewhere that they had use tongue depressors. The make the knives from two depressors, cutting one in half and gluing the two halves to one end of the other. This built up a handle on one end of the knife which made it a little easier to hold and a bit more authentic. They may have also pointed the business end of the knife blade, but that's purely for effect.

Ditto to Bob White's comments.

Here are my additions...

Verify that the C.O. (if that is where you meet) will allow knives on the property.

The first week, we covered safety first and then used plastic knives to practice carving the Ivory Soap.

I sent a new large size bar of Ivory Soap home with the boys with instructions to carve a boat out of the soap and add a sail and whatever " boat accessories" they wanted.

The second week, the boys arrived with their boats and we raced them "raingutter regatta" fashion.

They had a great time, learned the basics of carving, a little about physics and boats, and had the cleanest hands they will ever have.

( and covered some other achievements in the process)

To "twocubdad";

I think the idea for the tongue depressor came from a Scout Show I attended. Wish I could remember the presenter for certain.

To Wallace;

YES! Safety/Band Aids first.

To Bob White;

I regret I forgot to thank you for your safety and soap tips. I apologize.

Have FUN,

Roy