recruiting a cubmaster

Hi all!

I am committee chairman for our pack. Our cubmaster wants to retire at the end of this school year. He announced this last year and said "Anyone who wants to volunteer, please see me". Well, you guessed it, no one has stepped up. I suggested we scope out leaders, etc. and target one or two we think would be a good choice, then speak with them privately. I don't think anyone will just step up but I believe they may do it if asked. Now, what do you suggest? CM might be willing to do it another year but I don't want him to - he has done it since his son was a Tiger, and next year is the boy's last year. CM wants to just enjoy the year as a parent. My DH or I can not do it; we are not at a point where we can. We have several sons (many very young!!)and will be with the pack for many more years and plan to take our turn later!

One thing I think is, CM has done it for so long that others may think they have to commit for that long as well. The committee wants to make it so soneone would serve one year as ACM, then one year as CM, then out. But I think most people don't believe this will actually happen. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thank you for your input. I am really starting to be concerned that we have no one in place. I think CM is not really worried about it, and as CC I think it is more my job to find someone new anyway, do you think?

Thanks again!

Hi, Cubmaster myself.

1. Have the CM say it one more time at a commette meeting. We have a Leaders parents meeting.

Let them know that he will be stepping down, not that he wants to step down.

2. If you have a couple choices in mind. First recruit a replacment for there den

Then recruit them as a CM.

3. Offer the new leader all the training with out the cost.

4. If one does not step up, Have a parents meeting before/after a pack night and explain the situation.

Try recruiting there

5. Ask you Chartering orginazation (if possable)

6. Target the new scouts coming into the pack.

No one will volenteer untill asked.

SM41

There is a very useful worksheet "Selecting Cub Scout Leadeship" That can be found on the Boy Scouts Of America web site. It is in the commissioners section.

You might want to get your unit commissioner involved in your selection process.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn

You've got the right idea -- identify the folks you want to be CM and approach them individually.

You may be right that some folks may be reluctant to take a job if the last guy to have it was stuck with it for years and spent hours and hours at it. First of all, point out that all Scouting positions are for one year only (so they have and out if they really hate it and you have an out if they're really lousy). It's fair to tell them that you hope that CC's and CM's stay for a couple years, if that is the case (it is with our pack.)I think it is also good to talk about you plans to take a turn at CM later on -- that let's them know there is an exit strategy.

Take a copy of the official CM job description from the Cub Leaders' Handbook, but be prepared to talk about any local variations. In my experience, the CC and CM tend to "find their own levels," expecially if one is more experienced that the other. There are other suggestions in the leader book for recruiting leaders. Take a look at those.

Good luck with it.

Listen to Eamonn and Twocubdad. The BSA literature on selecting a Cubmaster is excellent and outlines what they are telling you.

Determine the characteristics of person you want to be CM.

Identify candidates.

Prioritize them.

Have a private meeting.

Let them know...Their job responsibilities, Their pack support, The training and resources they will receive, The amount of time it will take (be honest), The rewards for doing the job, AND why you feel they are the BEST person to do this job.

Sell the fact that you don't want somebody, you want them!

This works.

Bob White

I'm quite comfortable in the position of Assistant Cubmaster because I can help but don't have to be the one up front. Then the CM couldn't make it for a couple pack meetings, and the CC appointed me to emcee those meetings. If someone isn't sure they can do it, let them have a "trial run", giving them all the assistance needed (program helps, your ideas and your hands-on help) and they may be pleasantly surprised. I went from "I don't think I can do this" to "this can be a lot of fun". To be a part of leadership is a privilege to me, and to be the one up front leading silly songs and introducing dens coming up for skits and slowing it all down for ceremonies--it's fun as well as a privilege. You get to see something from up front that you don't see from the "audience" for lack of a better word: the reactions of the families. So much can be learned about them during this meeting, and I felt as though I knew the boys better after just one meeting--just by their reactions. It is a doable position, one that once tried and has support (support is key IMO), does not have to be a chore. The CM, den leaders, and committee members all were solidly in support of me, knowing that I was nervous, and the more they encouraged me (thumbs up during the meeting, a tap at the watch to remind me to check time, a smile and nod during an activity, that sort of thing), the more I relaxed and enjoyed what I was doing. Good luck!(This message has been edited by Laurie)

From my experiences, this works (assuming there are candidates):

First, identify some promising candidates. They should, ideally, have at least two years remaining in Cub Scouts. Look for parents of kids that have already have one come through the pack and are starting with child #2 (or 3,4,...). These folks understand the program, obviously see it's value (since they came back), and you hopefully have a relationship with them. It's likely that they may be den leaders, so you have to think about backfilling that position.

Second, give them a responsibility. Possibilities include Pack Treasurer, Popcorn Chair, Scouting for Food coordinator or ACM. See how they handle responsibility and whether they have what it takes. One of the guys I had targeted to replace me proved to be unreliable. Also, get them in front of the pack. When I got this same person in front of the boys, he said some things that I didn't think were appropriate. (Nothing terrible, but I know some parent's didn't like it).

Third, hopefully you have a top candidate. Set up a time to meet with them. Invite them over for coffee and cake. Whatever. Make it serious. Don't just catch them after a pack meeting and say "hey, do you want to be Cubmaster?". When you have this meeting, tell them that you've been watching them and think they are "THE BEST" candidate to take your place. Flattery gets you everywhere. And if they are truly the best candidate, you'll have a good chance at landing them.

Of course, through all this, make sure your COR, CC & current CM are in-sync.

Good luck.

Former Cubmaster also. In my experience, the least effective way to ask for help is to make a general announcement to a crowd. Second least is probably a blurb in a newsletter. Or vice versa. Point is, direct contact with someone you think is a good candidate is the best way to do this. If several people respond to your plea for a Cubmaster, you can only hire one of them. What do you tell the others, "thanks but no thanks"? What if none of the three is the best one for the job? Go ask the best person.

Who is the best person? In my opinion, has nothing to do with experience. The person needs only two qualities (assuming they're otherwise qualified for BSA membership).

First, comfortable in front of a crowd...obvious reasons.

Second, already has or can establish a rapport with den leaders. Again, just my opinion, but the Cubmaster's biggest responsibility is getting the DLs squared away and then keep 'em running smoothly. If that gets cross-threaded, it's near impossible to fix.

KS

Former cubmaster. I made all the mistakes near the beginning but the pack did OK in spite of me. When my son eventually left for boy scouts, I stayed on a couple of years to provide continuity. I informed a small group of prospects of my intentions and gave them two years to get their affairs in order. The next guy turned out great. There's always an element of chance or luck and it helps to have a larger stable of prospects. It's good to have new people and new ideas coming through and even though I really enjoyed the cubs (I'd do it again) it was good for the pack to have the new leaders.

We have found that the easiest way to recruit a CM is to club them in the head when they are not looking. Once they are out, put them in a uniform and wake them up in front of a pack meeting. It helps if you place leaders at all the exits to block them.

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. While we do like all the ideas, upon further discussion with the Pack Committee, we have decided to go with Beaver's idea. We will let you all know how it goes, once the new Cubmaster comes to. :)

Seriously, thanks so much. We have identified a couple of prospects and hopefully one of them will work out!

One final thought, Eaglewings,

If you approach your Cubmaster candidate as if you were going to condemn them to several years of misery and you desperately hope they will take it, then they likely will approach it that way.

On the other hand, if you regard it as giving them an opportunity to have a great deal of fun and make a real difference to boys and maybe, just maybe, if they want it enough, you will give them the chance, then they will approach it that way.

I have also found that it helps greatly in recruiting a new leader if you are able to say that several leaders are already in place to help them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eamonn,

Can you supply a more direct link to the "Selecting Cub Scout Leadership" worksheet? I checked in the commissioner's section of the BSA site (scouting.org?) but I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe it has been moved or removed??