Skit by next Saturday?

A little background: My son is new to scouting - a bear this year. We joined a pack that doesn't really do much and is sort of disorganized. I know this because I'm a committee member. We do not do anything close to what I see other packs do.

We are having a Family Picnic Day soon and each den was recently told that they need to do a skit for this day. I try to help out as much as possible, so I've been looking around on the internet. I know the DL is new also and she is just as lost as I am. Anyway, I've found a few resources and skits on the internet. My question is this: Does anyone do skits and what would be appropriate for Bears to do?

I need something that they can learn this week! Please help!

Melba,

considering you've only got one meeting to practice, choose a skit that is silly, energetic and short.

Here's one from last year that comes to mind that the Bears did.

Scout 1 comes hopping on stage from the left

Scout 2 pretends to drive across stage from the right, hitting scout 1 with the "car" - scout 1 plays dead

Scouts 3- whatever congregate at the scene of the accident..."oh no, youve run over the easter bunny"

Last Scout drives up in the ambulance (wailing like a siren), looks at scout 1 and pretends to spray him with something which causes scout 1 to get up and hop off stage while waiving to the crowd.

Scout 2 asks last scout what is that stuff

Last Scout says...HARE SPRAY WITH A PERMANENT WAVE

yis

Quixote

A couple I've had scouts do with only a few minutes to practice:

Emergency Broadcast:

All the scouts make a humming/buzzing noise like the Emergency Broadcast Signal.

One scout (or an adult) says: "This has been a test of the emergency broadcast signal. If this had been a real emergency here is what you would have heard."

Then all the boys run off the stage screaming and waving their arms.

Imaginary Bench:

First boy walks out and acts like he is sitting on a bench. Next boy comes and says "What are you doing?" First boy says "sitting on this imaginary bench". Second boy joins first boy on the "bench". Each scout walks out and asks the same question, gets the same answer.

Last scout walks out and asks question, gets answer then says "But I moved that bench yesterday." All the boys fall on the ground.

Those work great because it doesn't matter how many boys you have.

Don't be afraid to have the boys read their lines from a piece of paper.

Any skit is better than no skit.

The hardest part will be to get the boys to talk LOUDLY and CLEARLY.

One of my favorite, quick, easy skits goes like this:

All boys line up facing the audience. Boy #1 turns to boy #2 and whispers in his ear. Boy # 2 says "Oh, no!". Boy #3 says "What's wrong" Boy #2 whispers in his ear, Boy # 3 says "Oh, no!" This continues down the line until the last boy says "What's wrong?" and the boy before him says "We don't have a skit!"

The great thing about this skit is you can do it with just a few boys, or with a large group. It helps if the boys can "ham it up" a bit with he "Oh, no"'s

As a starter skit for the boys I would go to www.macscouter.com and look at "Walk Ons". Most of these are silly, one liners that don't take much practice.

The boys always enjoy seeing their parents put on the spot, plus they need to see parents getting involved in the fun. My favorite skit is "The Story of Running Deer" where I call unsuspecting adults from the audience (parents and leaders) and I read the story requiring them to act out certain parts. There are many web sites that have this skit. The following site seems to have a good variety of skits.

http://www.scoutxing.com/skits/skitsdefault.htm

Anyway, have fun!