Equipment for Patrol Cooking at Camp

Good afternoon,

My troop will be going Camp Marriott @ Goshen Scout Reservation next week. This will be the first time they've done patrol style cooking at summer camp. I've done "heater stack" (prepared by staff, served in site) there, but never patrol cooking. Any tips as to what equipment they should bring? Since I'm not going, I haven't been that involved in the planning, but I don't believe a clear list has been issued by council listing actual cooking equipment (except for the request to bring empty egg cartons to transport the eggs back to the site).

YiS,

Gags

Our troop camps at Camp Bowman at Goshen Scout Reservation. The good news is that every patrol site is provided a fully stocked chuck box. I am shocked that the Leaders' Guide is so thin this year. The following is pasted from the 2007 guide:

Patrol Cooking Equipment

The basic items of equipment listed below are furnished at Camps Marriott and Bowman for each

patrol-cooking site. Cooperation in the proper use of the equipment will not only benefit your troop but also

will benefit those campers who follow you.

Dining fly with poles and lines

Cooking fly with poles and lines

Fireplace

Patrol box

Patrol table

Cooking pot (small)

Cooking pot (medium)

Cooking pot (large)

Large frying pan

Medium frying pan

Fry pan handles (2)

Plates, metal (3)

Measuring cup

Colander (strainer)

Hot pot tongs

Plastic water jug

Pitchers (2)

Wash buckets (3)

Basting spoon

Soup ladle

Meat fork

Chefs knife

Pancake turner

Can opener

Kit cover

Paring knife

Pot lid (medium)

Dutch oven

Food carrier

Molly mop

Shovel

Bow saw with sheath

Either your camp commissioner or site guide will check off the equipment with the Senior Patrol

Leader upon arrival and again before departure. Your unit is expected to return all equipment in the

condition it is received, normal wear accepted. Scouts must bring their own knife, fork, spoon, plate and cup

Generally the stuff is in pretty good condition. The site guide will check them all with your SPL at arrival and again at departure. That said, our troop takes our own gear to avoid any inventory issues at 6 in the morning on checkout day. We also bring our own axe yard gear as it is generally in better shape than what the quartermaster has to offer.

I would recommend bringing extra rolls of paper towels. The scouts always need more than the commissary provides.

Best wishes to your Scouts for a great week of camping.

Hal

We went to a patrol cooking style summer camp last year, and they supplied utensils, pots, and pans. We took one of our own patrol boxes, and mainly used the stuff from there. The boys were more used to it.

Our only problem with cooking at our campsite was that one day the camp staff did not include the cooking instructions for the fajitas at lunch one day, and our boys just cooked meat for lunch.

I liked doing it that way, and I think the boys got more out of it than they usually do at a dining hall type camp.

I just got back from a week at a patrol-oriented summer camp (Camp Bell, part of the Griswold Scout Reservation, Daniel Webster Council, NH) and the camp provided virtually everything a patrol needed. The only thing that may have helped, a little, is an extra cook kit -- we had one vegetarian and one kid with an egg and dairy allergy. So we had two kinds of cross-contamination to worry about. While I brought some extra equipment, almost all of it went unused.

Camp Freeland Leslie is where we went this summer and it is a patrol-method camp. They had all the equipment necessary for each patrol.

I'm thinking that camps that don't have dining halls invest in patrol chuck boxes instead. Some of it was old and beat up, but it was all there and worked just fine.

Stosh