Merit Badge Fair?

I've been a Scoutmaster for just a few years but have been in Scouting for my whole life. Worked Scout camp for 10+ years so I understand how things (should) work.

I am prepared to accept that Summer Camp Merit Badge instruction is typically not the same quality as you would get with a traditional merit badge counselor or even in a troop merit badge program.

However, the past few years (from different camps in different councils) it seems as if Summer Camp is more of a merit badge fair, where scouts just show up to a class, goof off, and get a "Complete" at the end of the week. It has gotten to the point where I think my Scouts are more focused on how they can "work the system" then actually earning Merit Badges. As such, I have scouts that only show up to 1/2 their classes, don't complete in camp assignments, or just don't pay any attention as why should they, they know they're going to get the MB anyway?

So, now to my question? How do other leaders address this issue? I don't believe that you can re-test and overturn advancement but at the same time I don't like Scouts brining home Motorboating merit badge and having only been out in the boat for 5 minutes?

I would be interested to hear others thoughts?

Depends on the staff and the CD. At one of the camps I went to and worked at the standards were high, the staff excellent, and when you passed the class, you really passed it: no badges were given away, even those that could be done in one's free time like pottery.

Another camp I went to did have some challenges. CD and PD began a program to change it. Yes it took time to fix, but the camp does have a good rep now.

Well I saw that at one of the camps my son's troop went to and I have heard about it from other camps (my son's troop rotates to a different camp each year so they get a wide sample for comparison purposes).

Aside from attempting to pressure the camp staff into providing a better future program, I see three basic options:

1. Grin and bear it. (Not an option I'm especially fond of!)

2. Change your troop's expectations about what the summer camp merit badge experience will be like.

Encourage your boys to limit the # of merit badges, and especially non-outdoor merit badges, they expect to do at camp. So there are 6 MB slots, encourage boys to sign up for just 4 and use the other time to enjoy the camp and each other's company. Not every minute needs to be structured.

I know some troops who won't allow, or strongly discourage, boys from doing citizenships, communications, family life, personal management, etc. at camp because of quality concerns and because it is just plain BORING to do "school" merit badges while at camp. Talk up the more exciting, unusual, and outdoorsy badges consistently, and get your up-and-coming scouts to do the same.

Talk with the PLC about possibly setting new troop traditions such as everybody taking period X "off" and doing some cool troop thing instead, or about a whole patrol taking a designated block of time during the week to do some fun patrol activity. In other words, replace merit badge mill with something more interesting, and you'll avoid a number of problems.

If you notice that some classes are lousy, let boys drop out, or encourage them to work with adults and older scouts back at the camp site on their skills (either during class time, or in addition).

Provide fun and positive incentives for boys to "show off" or share the skills they're learning as the week goes on, so they have more reasons to be paying attention. Challenge them to think of ways they can build fun activities for next year, based on what they're now learning. (Example: maybe get the boys who are doing wilderness survival and orienteering together to plan some sort of "lost in the wilderness" campout theme for next year...or wilderness survival + first aid = "Plane Crash in the Amazon!" camp out)

3. Put the responsibility on their shoulders to behave in ways that reflect well on them and on the troop.

Make it known that you will personally be checking on the attendance, participation, and behavior of boys in MB sessions during the week, and then make sure you do it.

Along these lines, if the camp publishes "pre-reqs" for certain MBs, enforce them. Require the boys to show you what they've done in prep for the merit badges before you leave for camp. No pre-reqs done? They'll need to sit out that badge. The principle is that they shouldn't be taking up a spot that another boy who is prepared, could be using instead. I've noticed a lot of camps have these pre-reqs but the actual enforcement seems to fall on the troop end in many cases.

I assume you're dealing with the issue after the fact, based on your description. In that case, the first thing I'd do is sit down with the boys individually and review the requirements. Ask them, point-blank: Did you earn this merit badge? Did you do these things? I'm not talking about confronting them and committing a verbal assault, but just a friendly inquiry. Chances are they'll admit that no, they didn't, because ... (there weren't enough boats, there weren't enough PDFs, the boat was broken, the instructor didn't know what he was doing, the instructor said it was OK that they only got 5 minutes in the boat...).

Ask them if they feel if it's right for them to wear the badge when they didn't earn it. Hopefully you'll get the right answer, and can direct your Scouts to a real MB counselor whom you've checked out.

Secondly, write up a detailed letter - preferably co-signed by your COR - and send it to the program director, camp director, director of support services (or equivalent) and SE. Explain your disappointment with the program offerings and lack of standards, giving concrete, documented examples, and ask what is being done to correct the situation so that your troop will want to come back next year.

The camp may have an excellent reason why one topic or one program area is suffering. Perhaps the volunteer Scoutcraft instructor they had lined up to teach Cooking and Pioneering got his vacation canceled. Perhaps the motorboat's engine suffered a last-minute meltdown. Perhaps the nature/ecology director they hired flunked National Camping School two weeks before camp was supposed to start. But even in those cases, it's contingent on the PD and CD to either have a backup plan of equal or greater quality -or- to cancel that particular program altogether.

You should NOT accept that summmer camp MB instruction is of lower quality than the "regular" MB program. There should be no difference whatsoever.

My son went to a few different camps in his time. None were like what you described, but one was a little less strict then the others. But all had prerequisites of things that could not be done at camp (ie. something that required library or internet research, or visiting a specific place.) and plenty of partials were given out.

Do you feel that this is the only camp your scouts can attend?.. Even if boy lead, you could offer a suggestion of going to different camps to the boys, different scenery, different merit badges are offered, different free time activities.. See if you can get some enthusiasm for it.

I would find it hard that all neighboring camps are as bad.

Like others stated I would write a letter (hopefully with CO backing.) But, loss of revenue with your troop attending other camps, will probably get more attention.

Summer camps being way too easy is something we frequently encounter at a variety of camps. A few years ago, 12 of our guys took advantage of a mountain bike course in their free time one afternoon and all came home with the Cycling Merit Badge.

We work hard to keep an eye on things at camp to make sure boys are getting to complete the requirements as written. If not, we talk to Camp Program Director immediately. If we get words about how they couldn't do xyz because of class size, boat limitations, etc., we simply insist on getting partial cards so the boys can finish up the rest later.

It's much easier to handle it up front rather than later when the scout (and his parents) have a signed MB card in their hands.

BTW - after reviewing the real requirements of the Cycling Merit Badge, they all agreed they hadn't done the requirements and weren't really interested - they just wanted to have fun for an hour or so. Right on - that's why they should be going to summer camp!!

Everything MikeF and Lisa said.

The Scoutmaster is the Gatekeeper. While at camp he doesn't have the selection ability he has at home for Counselors, he has the ability to walk the ground and evaluate what happens in the program areas.

If Mr Scoutmaster is not happy with the quality of instruction, his first stop is a friendly cup of coffee with the session lead commissioner and the program director. State what is wrong and what is expected to change in clear, concise terms.

If that does not get results, visit with the Camp Director. He/she may or may not be a member of the Professional Service. If that does not get results, visit with the Reservation Director. If that does not get results, visit with the COR back home and have the Chartered Partner bring muscle to bear on Council.

If we allow bad teaching to happen, we deserve what our youth "earn."