SM decides what merit badges a scout will take

We are taking a new scout from a different troop to summer camp with us. He can't go when they are going, so SM suggested to Mom that he could go with another. The scout told her he remembered having a good time when he camped and visited our troop, so he's signed up to go.

I emailed her about our camp's pathfinder program - a first year camper program for new scouts. All of our new scouts will be in that program. She wrote back stating that their SM said the scout will have already earned Tenderfoot by the time camp rolls around, so he doesn't want the scout to do pathfinder and wants the scout to do merit badges instead. Almost all of our new scouts will have earned Tenderfoot, too, but I still encourage them to do pathfinder. It's much much more than just a Tenderfoot program. Personally, I think the scout will have a better time if he gets to hang with all our new scouts, but I will go with SM and Mom's wishes.

Here's the thing. In Mom's email she also mentioned that the SM will send me a schedule of what he wants the scout to take.

What? The SM is making the scout's schedule? This Troop is sometimes derisively called the Webelos III Troop, but I think the SM telling the scouts what merit badges to take is really over the top.

I agree with you. An SM should counsel a Scout about the MBs, especially if he's a young Scout, but the decision about what a Scout does should be left to the boy and the whims of scheduling (unless the SM knows a boy simply won't achieve any success in a complex MB). Doesn't sound like the boy is going to be offered many growth oppurtunities in that other troop. SM probably has them tracked all the way to Eagle in lock step, so one kid doing his own thing will really throw a spanner into the works.

I would encourage Mom to sign her boy up for the New Scout Program. He will have more fun being with the boys he knows, and most NSPs do accomplish First Aide and/or Swimming; plus there may be open times for the easier badges, like leather work.

SM's getting ivolved with selecting MB classes?!?!?!? Heck no, the SM should NOT be involved EXCEPT if last minute changes are made, i.e. scout didn't pass swim test and needs to change Swimming and canoeing MB classes to something else :)

I always recommended that the scouts talk to their PLs and SPL to see what classes to take, using their interests and advancement goals as guidance.

Most new Scout programs I'm familiar with cover everything for T-2-1, so the class is a valid one.

Careful jumping to conclusions. You don't know whether the SM has talked with the Scout, got the Scout's input and is simply being courteous and passing that information along to make things easier on a first time Scout. Or whether indeed the SM is picking everything. It's not helpful or kind to bash a SM if it happens to be the first option.

I counseled all our scouts on what MBs they will take at camp this summer. I had to register everyone online a month ago, so I needed a clear picture of what the scouts were doing.

For our new scouts, I did not question that they would be in the "first year" program (pathfinder, polaris, mountain man, or whatever your camp calls it), and all agreed. I also strongly encouraged swimming, as we will be doing several troop aquatic activities throughout the summer (surfing, sailing and a 70-mile canoe trip). Our camp's schedule left few other options for MBs beyond the handicraft for the only remaining time slots, and all our scouts enrolled in several of these.

Our returning scouts (2nd year and older) I certainly allowed to take what they wanted. Personally, I discouraged the "classroom-Eagle-required" badges (Communications, CitN, CitW, and even Emerg Prep) as we have local counselors who I know will better serve our scouts. This only changed two or so MBs collectively for all the older scouts.

Do I think some scouts made bad choices? Yes. Did I tell them that? Yes (not so bluntly, of course). But two insisted on taking a boatload of poorly selected MBs and I said OK. As SM, it clearly states that it is my responsiblity to guide each scout on their choices for MBs and selecting their counselors. I take that very seriously, but I do try not to hold back my scouts, even if it means there is a lesson to be learned (prehaps even by me).

As for your provisional scout, I would certainly speak with his SM (over the oft recomended cup of coffee) and try to find out why it is this way, and explain, as you did to us, that the scout may well benefit most by participating with the other scouts. Best place to start, if you ask me.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Last night our scouts were picking merit badges and a second yr. not a particulary strong swimmer wanted to take Lifesaving. OK. Here is the requirement book. Upon looking over the requirements another wiser choice was made. No one told him he couldn't take it but upon a little research in what is involved he made the choice.

Since we do not have a schedule of sessions we had them pick 1,2 and 3 choices which I will then plug into a schedule. By looking at first choices last night and returning to the same camp as last year most first choices will happen. It just a matter of filling in the ones that are offered limited session(s). If I have to goto 3rd choice I will talk to the scout and make sure that is something he really wants to take not just fill in the slot on the paper thing he did.

A Tenderfoot taking MB's over a pathfinder program? That's just wrong!

The Path finder/mountain-man and such will reinforce the skills needed for the next 7 years. His scoutcraft skill development should be the primary focus of his first year experience. I have yet to see a scout too good at these primary skills. Plus the age association and scouting community bonding experience that goes with being with all the other first years.

However, there is some leeway. A first year wanting to take the rifle or archery MB's as part of an afternoon program. Fine! Otherwise wait on the MB's until the second year of summer camp to load up on MB's.

That SM sees summer camp much differently than I do.

Well, I have spoken with SM.

He doesn't like the pathfinder program at our camp and so all the scouts in his troop do merit badges - even first years. He told me that this scout going with us would be too far behind the other guys if he did pathfinder program with our new guys. As he put it, the new guys are very competitive and it wouldn't be fair for him to come back from camp without the same and same number of badges as the other new scouts.

gwd,

You do have some choice over whether Bobby comes with you as a Provisional. If this situation isn't acceptable to you, you can nicely say "I'm sorry, but I don't think we're the Troop for Bobby's Provisional camp trip."

Your first best interest is your own Troop. :)

He hasn't sent me the list yet, so I don't know what merit badges the scout is taking. Hopefully, they will at least be fun, appropriate for his age and skills, and not a whole bunch of Eagle-requireds. Not my call, though.

It won't impact our troop whether this new scout does the pathfinder program or merit badges. My concern was just that he will be on his own for his first year and I just thought he'd have a better time if he was with all our new guys.

I've been to several camps and none of them had very good pathfinder type programs, so I can understand that. This camp may be different and have a fantastic pathfinder program, but I fully agree with gwd-scouter that the bigger issue is that by not hanging with the other scouts in her troop, it could be a lonely boring week for this scout.

Barry

I think it might be a good idea to talk again with the SM and the scout. Make sure everybody is on the same page.

What will happen, for instance, if the scout decides during his week with your troop, not to attend all MB sessions? What if he comes home with a partial or two (or more)? Will the SM be upset with you? If the SM insists on having major input into the badges the boy selected, will he at least consent to guiding this boy toward some MBs that other boys in your own troop are also going to work on so that the poor kid isn't on his own all day long?

I can understand why some SMs might guide some scouts away from the 1st year program if they feel it isn't very good. I can also understand giving a lot of guidance to 1st year scouts in their choices of MBs. I do think you want to be real clear with everybody that you are not going to be held responsible for the scout's completion of MBs during camp though, and that you have concerns about him being alone all the time.

It does impact your troop directly - an unhappy, lonely, bored, homesick fellow could be a real challenge for the patrol leader he is assigned to, and could end up spreading misery to your other new scouts too.