Narritcong and I are both attending PTC next week.

Perhaps the most important thing I'll bring are eyes to see and ears to hear.

From what I can see of the forecast, highs will be mid-80s (but a DRY heat) and lows will be mid-50s.

From my last experience (2003), I assume PTC still uses the institutional mattresses (rubberized tops). That changes my camp load-out a bit; I tend to bring a mattress pad, if not indeed a second layer between my body and the bed. While I'll bring my down bag, I expect my old poncho liner will be enough.

Basically, I pack as though I'm going to Scout Camp for a week, but with more Class A uniforms (since A is encouraged for sessions). I also tend to bring plenty of T-shirts for after-hours wear. I do bring a camp chair; it makes impromptu conversations at either the area shelters or around folks tents easier to happen.

I do bring a hat. The Villa is up at 6500'. Bring a good sunscreen.

I do bring a rain parka. Afternoon pop-up thunderstorms can do a deluge.

I've seen 6 point deer in tent city; I leave smellables such as deodorant at home (or at least in the jeep).

Any other "in particulars" people take to the Training Center?

Sounds like you covered it for me.

I'll be at PTC (for the first time finally!) the week of Aug 3-9 (Venturing week).

I'll bring my red jac-shirt (don't get much chance to wear it around here). And a camera of course.

A small folder chain maybe a good idea.

July 1st through August 31st is monsoon season in New Mexico. This is when they get the bulk of their rainfall so be sure to bring rain gear. The most likely place for your tent to leak is the top seam along the ridge pole. Just like at jamboree we found that a good thing to do is to bring a couple of sheets of plastic that are about 8ft x 6ft that can be draped over your cot in case it rains.

We had quite a bit of rain last week, mostly at night. The good part of that is that the camp is lush and green, and looks fantastic.

The conference rooms are now equipped with projectors, which is both good and bad. I noticed that many fascilitators have become far too dependent on PowerPoint and tend to overuse it.

Temperatures in August at PTC average in the low 80's. If you have folks in your family who do not sleep well when it is warm and humid consider brining a small fan for the tent. The tents have electricity.

Just like on a any campout keep smellables out of the tent, there are creatures far less entertaining than deer who come around looking for meals that you do not want in your tent.

Drink water. High altitudes cause dehydration, High altitude sickness is very unpleasant and spoil your visit. Drinking water is the solution.

Watch your speed limit. Cimarron business folks love the business brought in by visiting scouters...so do the Cimarron police. They are serious about their speed limits and do not hesitate to write speeding tickets for the slightest infraction. The buy new SUVs about every other year, guess where they get the money from?

Bring a camera, it is a gorgeous place.

Be more receptive to learning Scouting methods and policies then people are on this forum.

I enjoy using a night scope and taking quiet walks near the open fields behind PTC after the camp has quieted down. That is when the animals begin to wander closer to camp. You can see an amazing amount of wildlife. (remember to always take a buddy with you)

Unless your conference asks you to bring something then there is no need to bring anything with you. However, if you have something related to your conference that you would like to share by all means bring it with you. If possible have enough copies for the others in your conference as well.

Each conference operates a little differently depending on the style of the facilitators on your faculty. Ideally they are there to meet your expectations and informational needs. Be open with them about your learning goals and they will do the best they can to meet your needs.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Thanks for all the great tips guys!

Sounds pretty much like a week at Summer Camp. We just got back from that Sunday, so our laundry is freshly done! Camp chair is a great idea. I'll be sure to pack one.

My almost 12 year old son is having a great Scout summer. His first week of Troop Summer Camp (two requirements shy of 1st Class and earned 4 Merit Badges), and now a trip to PTC a week later. I'm hopeful he will be a walking Ambassador for Scouting. Yesterday he told his old Scout Camp Staffer Dad that he wants to be on a Camp Staff some day. That made my day!

Is there some opportunity for patch trading at PTC? I was going to encourage him to bring some Detroit Area Council CSP's and some of his other traders along if there is. Does anyone trade anymore?

I'm looking forward to the NLAS conference and learning how we can use Scouting as a tool in the church. And how to encourage my Scouts to better live up to the 12th point of the Law.

Bring trading patches.... including OA lodge as well as CSP.

Since your boy is 12 now... if you've not been to "Scouting in the Church's Ministry", you'll want to think about that conference for 2010 or 2011. He'll be old enough to do the Mountain Trek (backpacking ~35 miles, every night in a program camp, and they backpack over Baldy... at least that's the route my son took).(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Just to give you a smile:

It took me till the third post to figure out "PTC". I could not figure out why anyone would camp for a "Parent-Teachers-Conference"!

When BobWhite said New Mexico, it dawned "Philmont Training Camp"!

Just thought you'd like the chuckle....

Rick

Great Place, been there 2 years in a row now and plan to go again next summer. Bring your entire family, you will do them a dis-service if you don't.

Food has a lot to be desired, but they have salad at every meal. I found they only put the Baco's (Bacon bits) out on only one side of the cafeteria.

Bring your laptop, WIFI right from your tent. Maybe a scrap piece of carpet, hangers, maybe a power strip as you get 1 outlet and 1 light bulb hanging in your tent. Maybe a single sheet to cover your mattress. Visit the Cimmeron art gallery for some good ice cream (Not for the suveniors they sell)Reqest a tent AWAY from the heads. It gets noisy at night and you have to hear the kids and adults drag their feet through the fine gravel. Bring a lanyard with a clear pocket, as the clip on name tags they provide suck and break in one hour.

IF you take a shower in the morning and feel that the water is cold, let it run for 2-3 minutes and bam.....hot water. :)

How come PTC does not follow youth protection guidelines when it comes to the head and showers use??? I always wondered that. They do follow it on the inbound and outbound trail side.

Spend the time and hike the trails they allow the PTC attendees to hike on. Always fun passing or passing up a crew on the trail.

My son just turned 11 a week ago and has been to Philmont twice now and has hiked on several back country trails and this year as part of his program got to hike into and stay in the back country a the hunting lodge, where a ranger needed to use 2 shots to kill a bear that night. A few rangers told me that bears are being a bit more friendly this year than in years past. My wife saw 2 piles of bear scat on her trail hike and we as a family saw one pile on the lovers leap trail.

Oh, my daughter turned 7 in April and she too has been to Philmont twice and has hiked the trails with us and during her daytime programs along with horseback riding, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

My appologies if my acronym usage was not correct and offended anyone.

Between the accronyms here (BSA) and the ones at work (US Army) plus the ones I used to deal with (US Navy) not to mention the US Air Force (base closest to where I live and location of Pack) I have TOO Dang many accronymns to worry about.

I just thought someone else might get a "chuckle" out of accronym headspace and timing issues that were NOT them...

Again, my appologies.

OK, silly question... I have one of those "Indiana Jones" style Scout hats, not the Campaign Hat, but the more casual one. I was thinking of bringing that to get branded. But my wife suggested that the felt would likely burn. Yes? No? Take my chances?

What are some other items people have gotten branded?