Tents and Summer Camp

All the summer camps I went to in Maryland supplied the old heavy canvas 2 man tents with the roll-up sidewalls on a tent platform. I have visited a camp in Texas, and one in NJ that use the same thing. They use the same tents in base camp at Philmont Scout Ranch.

My son and I just moved up to Boy Scouts. This years' camp in upstate NY supplies the same tents I used as youth and ASM while in college. The pictures from the last 3-4 years summer camps they have attended all had the same tent (our council only runs cub scout day camps at our 3 council camps - so we visit different camps every couple of years for variety.

For the camps we attend, if you are doing a trek during summer camp you can bring your own backpacking tent and borrow one from camp for the trip.

To pick up additional gear inexpensively, talk to the other troops in your area. Some troops do gear swaps or will give you gear they no long use. Such as stoves, tents, and dining flies. Some troops are moving away from the traditional heavier 4 man tents and large 2 burner stoves and going for the lighter backpacking type gear.

Hey.

Just bought a great sumemr tent for cheap from Costco for a big trip we just did. They were $99 and could sleep upwards of 6-8 people. It was a great purchase for the first canoe trip of the season.

We actually also brought a unique fire product that all the kids on the trip loved. I think it was purchased at Target or Walmart but it was product called Funky Colored Flames and it changed the color of the campfire, the kids went nuts over it. Give it a try if you are planning a trip soon.