COMPARING SUMMER CAMPS IN 2008

Hi Everybody,

Our troop is looking for a new summer camp in 2009. While we are very comfortable at Camp Buck Toms in TN, We we feel its time to find a new summer camp. How does the following summer camps compare to Camp Buck Toms?

Boxwell Scout Reservation, TN

Camp Crooked Creek, KY

Thanks in Advance!

Bassetdad

• 2 weeks later...

While I can't comment on those particular camps I would encourage you to try and visit (with your SPL) any camp you may be considering.

When I was on camp staff we would have leaders stop by over the summer to check the place out and get a tour. It always amazed me that they came on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning - why not come when camp is in session? See the staff in action, talk with a few of the Scoutmasters who are present.

With that said, call ahead so you can ensure that you are familiar with the visitor policy and that someone will be available to give you a quick tour. Most camps will be more than happy to show a potential customer base around.

Also ask for a copy of the current Leader's Guide. You can learn a lot about a camp by reading their policies and making sure they offer a program that your Scouts want.

Please, make sure it is your Scouts decision to go to a different camp and not the leaders. My last year as a youth, our Troop's Committee decided we were going to a different camp to give the older boys new opportunities. Well us older scouts wanted to go back to the camp we enjoyed, not a new one.