Boy Scouts offer 'Survivor' camp for middle schoolers

Boy Scouts offer 'Survivor' camp for middle schoolers

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/NEWS01/706110350/

http://tinyurl.com/2s6yhs

Monday, June, 11, 2007

ONA -- On July 15-20, the Tri-State Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, will offer a resident camp for all Tri-State girls and boys who have graduated the fifth grade through seventh grade. Membership or past experience in a Scouting program is not necessary.

The camp will be offered at Camp Arrowhead near Barboursville, about five minutes from Huntington Mall. Cost for the week -- which includes food, program supplies and leadership -- is $180. The camp will be based somewhat on the TV show "Survivor." Campers will be divided into tribes and try to be the superior team during the week.

The camp will be relaxed, with activities that include team-building, problem-solving and diversity while offering a chance to forge lifelong memories and friendships. Campers will also have the opportunity to choose to participate in climbing and rapelling, swimming, canoeing, rowing, arts and crafts, archery, rifle shooting, nature activities and fun theme events.

The camp meets all safety standards for facilities, leadership and health care including an onsite EMT.

The Scouts council decided to offer the camp after several parents with middle school girls expressed a desire to have an opportunity locally to experience a week-long resident camp. Prior to the camp, there will be an orientation session for campers and parents. For more information and applications, call (304) 523-3408.

Anyone else find this odd? We are beat over the heads to get application fees turned in as soon as they are received, "so they're covered by the insurance in case anything happens." Now we're running summer camps for non-members? And GIRLS, no less!!!

That's about on par with what most BSA camps in our area are charging for a standard week of camp.

As for girls/non-members, yes, I find it a little odd. But then, from a membership perspective this could be a fantastic tool for recruiting new members into the program (troops and/or crews for boys, crews for girls, assuming they meet joining requirements including age).

We've kicked around doing some kind of event to attract teens and pre-teens to scouting in our area because just handing out flyers in school or having a community "join scouting" night isn't going to be enough to overcome the perceived stigma attached to being a Boy Scout for most middle schoolers, and so they'll never even know they're missing something fun. Survival Camp though? Yeah, that might be "kewl" enough to try. Like everything, the devil's in the details. I'd be curious to find out how this has worked out at the end of the summer.

I agree with Lisabob, this is a very interesting apporach by this Council to reach out and provide a service to the greater community.

I wish my council did something like this (but of course, like so many things, I bet they'd support if I stepped up to lead it!).

To paraphrase Sr. Mary Clarence "it's about putting butts in the pews" or maybe giving a sample of your product to potential consumers. Sort of a try it, you'll like it. Heck, send Mikey, send Millie, after all the mission statment of the BSA is:

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

Doesnt say Cubs, Boy Scouts, Varsity Team Members, Venturers, Sea Scouts or Explorers only (my apologies if I missed anyone)

If it makes money, or just breaks even, or even loses a bit and membership goes up as a result then it looks like a winner, if it doesnt, nothing ventured nothing gained. Sounds like a great idea

I agree that it sounds like a good idea. The good Lord knows that an adult walking into a junior high to recruit is going to either hear crickets chirping or laughter. What better way to promote your wares than to let them have a taste. Reminds me of Amway. Oh by the way fellow worker and good friend, the little lady and I are having a little get together over at the house on Friday evening and we'd like you guys to come. Oh yeah, there is going to be this small presentation of a great business opportunity. Just kidding. But who better than the local council with a property to reach out to the community and put on a day camp as a way to get their name and product in front of folks in a good way?

If I were a DE or a unit person, I'd really appreciate the council actually doing something to recruit in a positive way rahter than twisting my tail to up the numbers each year on my own.

At first I thought the same thing...recruit the girls for Venturing. But it specifically says "fifth through seventh grade". That's Boy Scout age, not Venturing. So what do they tell the girls? Had fun? Good, come back in 3 years and you can join. I agree, it's worth a try and certainly innovative. I'll bet the Girl Scout Council is ticked, though.

Our county Board of Education saw the leaves on the trees (?hand writing on the wall?) and established an "outdoor education program" with the local parks authority many years ago, built a dorm in a nature center, established a jr. COPE type course, and nature trail system and they were off. All 5th graders go, on rotation, for a 3 day two night long weekend. It is always an eagerly anticipated thing, many of the kids never get any other similar time away from home. The OEP folks keep alot of 'loaner' sleeping bags just for the occasion. They do a campfire, lots of games, too. Not sure about archery or 'shooting' sports.

To my knowledge, Scouts have never been asked (or offered) to help, although I know that a few of the leaders of the OEP were Scouts in their distant past.

I say go for it, local Council.