How to Promote Swimming at Summer Camp ?

Another discussion item from our recently completed week at summer camp.

Our council operates a complex of camps and a few years back opened a swimming pool. The pool is used for activities like swimming merit badge, free swims, and the Cub and Webelos resident camp swimming.

The first day of camp swim tests are administered at the lake swim area. Our troop is not blessed with many swimming/aquatics enthusiasts, and we even set up a troop swim a month or so ago so that they might be better prepared. The day of the swim test at the lake I have two boys announce they are not taking the test. One says "I may take it at the pool later", and the other says he did not even bring his swimsuit to camp.

I'm tempted to install yet another "rule" about swim tests (at the lake) being mandatory at future camps, but wanted to see how others might handle the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Is it that they don't like swimming, or do they just not like the lake? B-P thought that swimming was a basic survival skill that every scout should learn, and it's still a requirement for first class. We have a scout who will age out at Second Class, because he refuses to get his face wet. I have encouraged the dad to take him over the winter for swimming lessons, but so far, no action.

If your scouts do not like to swim, that's their choice, but they will not make it past 2nd class and will be forever restricted to the non=swimmer zone.

One of the scouts is First Class and the other is a Life scout. The First Class scout has a genuine dislike of the water, but passed the First Class swimming last year at the pool. The Life scout actually has swimming mb. I think his issue is not liking lake swimming.

Is it possible to hold the swim tests at the pool? I, too, know of boys who love to swim in pools, but won't swim in lakes. My younger son always wears swim shoes in lakes, because he hates to step on the plant life on the bottom. Even though he is a good swimmer, he was scared at first to swim in our neighborhood lake/pond, because he couldn't see the bottom like you can in a pool.

At our camp, all aquatics used to be in the river. Now we have a pool and only boating and canoeing are in the river. We have to do swim tests every year upon arrival, and if you don't participate, you're a non-swimmer, period. It doesn't matter if you're a BSA Lifeguard or Aquatics Instructor...everyone takes the test. I suspect it's the same at your camp. I think that's a good rule, because I have seen scouts who have Swimming and Lifesaving MB, but when taking a swim test, can't make it one length of the pool. It's a good QA check and necessary for safety.

To answer your question...I think you leave it up to them. If they don't like the lake, they don't do aquatics. Why fight it?

I have seen competent pool swimmers struggle in a lake, pond, and ocean waters. The pool is clean and safe with clear water where you can see all the dangers. Lakes, ponds, streams and particularly ocean waters tend to be murky with lots of unknown dangers lurking just beneath the surface. There is icky stuff on the bottom and hideous animals that will bite, sting, or otherwise harm you. The water covers all kinds of broken glass, tree roots, and poisionous water snakes.

It is often the idea of the unknown dangers that scares people out of non-pool water. They cannot see what lurks and they are scared that something might get them. People like that DO change from a swimmer to a non-swimmer because of mental fear.

My son attended a party last week at the local lake. There were nineteen boys and girls age 12-13. My son reported that one girl was afraid there might be sharks in a man-made fresh water lake 300 miles from the coast. Of course my son swam underwater and grabbed her leg from behind just to prove there were no sharks. You can probably imagine the shrieks.

While scout age kids may have book knowledge, they don't always apply it. The fear of the unfamilar and unknown will cause them to not try new experiences. They have been told all their lifes to be careful of the water because they may drown or hurt themselves on unknown dangers. Then we ask them to jump into water over their head that is murky with an icky mud bottom and slimy plants and swim with no concern. 10+ years of adults screaming danger may not be overcome immediately.

Maybe you could hold a nature class explaining about the eco system of lakes to help them understand the system. They would learn about the plants and mud. Mud turtle, water snakes, and old fishing tackle certainly are a real danger when swimming in unchecked swimming areas but the danger need to be properly presented to not scare them out of a safe BSA camp swim area.

We have one or two boys who do not know how to swim or have a fear of water that we are working with. We have others who just don't care about aquatics. I don't take the swim test myself and I always get weird looks from anyone when I say I'm not taking it. For me, there are several reasons. One, at 49 years old, I don't look as good in a swimsuit as I once did at 19. I still have my pride. Two, I have shoulder joint problems and actually swimming instead of soaking (my favorite swim activity) tends to lead to sleepless nights. Three, I wear a $6,000 insulin pump that isn't waterproof. Other than that, I have always loved the water and dearly miss it. If I HAD to swim to save my life, not a problem.

Check with your summer camp and see if they allow swim tests before arriving at camp. I've had experience with three different summer camps and it was never an issue. We have 63 boys in our troop and 51 attended camp a couple of weeks ago. Doing the test before camp takes a huge workload off of the camp staff and speeds up the check in process. The added bonus is it is done in a swimming pool for all the guys who worry about creepy crawlies.

It's probably because the boys don't like swimming in a lake! My son went to summer camp last year & he didn't pass the swim test because he didn't like swimming in the lake. He does swim in a pool though. He did complete the swimming requirements for Second & First Class in the pool. There were several of the new scouts last year that didn't like swimming in the lake too!

I only swim in pools myself! Now, being from Long Island I am surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean & the Long Island Sound but I only swam in the ocean once! I went in the water got picked up by a small wave, couldn't touch bottom & I panicked & got out of the water! I sat on the beach the rest of the day! I need to be able to see the bottom & to grab onto the side of a pool if I feel like I'm "sinking"!

When my son goes to camp again this summer I don't expect him to go in the lake. I will take him to the pool at the high school to swim or he can swim when he goes over a friends' house that has a pool.

SR540Beaver,

I'm interested in knowing how the pre-swim test is administered. Swim checks take a lot of time at camp and anyting which could help should be looked into. My question is one of accountablility, how do I as a water front director know how the test was administered and what the qualifications were of the person administering it. At our camp the first thing that happpens when a troop arrives is Med checks and swim checks. "I want to know if you have a pulse, are you on drugs, and can you swim!"

LongHaul

Hmmm. They don't like the pool & don't like the lake. Hmmmmm. The swim test is administered in the lake. Hmmmmm. And they want to swim in the pool. Hmmmm. How about if you don't pass the swim test, no waterfront activities at all!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

If I were an aquatics director, I would be VERY careful about swim checks not done under my (or my staff's) supervision. I would have to personally know who conducted the checks and be confident that they were following the same strict standards. Unfortunately, the most subjective criterion, "in a strong manner" is the one most widely interpreted. I have seen swim checks done where, if the scout can cover the distance by thrashing long enough, he will pass. "Thrashing" is not a recognized stroke. The swim check requirement comes from the G2SS:

. Ability Groups

Divide into three ability groups: Nonswimmers, beginners, and swimmers. Keep each group in its own area. Nonswimmers have not passed a swimming test. Beginners must pass this test: jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth, level off, swim 25 feet on the surface. Stop, turn sharply, resume swimming as before and return to the starting place. Swimmers must pass this test: jump feet first into water over the head in depth. Level off and swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating. These classification tests should be renewed annually, preferably at the beginning of the season.