Mosquito Netting in Wall Tents

My family attended a Cub Scout campout at our council's summer camp, and seeing the wall tents brought back a rush of memories from my own days at Scout summer camp.

My wife was surprised that there wasn't any mosquito netting on the tents and wondered how the boys survived the buggy nights in those tents.

I recall that we used rectangular mosquito netting that we put over our cots, but for the life of me I can't remember how these were hung inside the wall tents. I thought there might be some grommetted tabs or tie-offs, but there weren't.

How do you hang the mosquito netting in the wall tents?

If you are lucky and have a well stocked army/navy surplus store nearby (or can find one on the internet) they used to make a larget tent shaped netting that tied up inside the tent. I always brought a few pieces of 1" PVC pipe that I lashed to my cot to support the rectangular netting.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Ditto the PVC pipe, would recommend tho to build a frame (don't glue it ;) ) that will support the netting. This will help prevent the pipe punching through the netting and also make it sturdier and more able to withstand the young ones efforts to get out of bed. Also make sure it does not touch the tent fabric itself. Nothing like having a leaky tent channeling right to the cot.

yis

I use 4 pieces of 1x2 cut about 4 feet long. Duct tape them vertically to each corner of the cot. Been using the same pieces of wood for 30 years. If you forget the wood, some semi-straight sticks from the woods work just as well. Just make sure there are no gaps between the floor and net at the bottom...skeets will find any hole and make your night miserable. Be sure to remove all traces of duct tape when leaving...LNT!

Ditto for PVC frame.

Can glue some of the corner pieces to make it easier to assemble at camp.

I've always draped mosquito net over the frame and long enough to prevent gaps at bottom.

#2 son ran into unusual problem a couple of summers ago. Skeeters didn't get in, but spiders seemed to love crawling under bottom and setting up inside. He solved problem by tieing the net inside the PVC frame and tucking edges of net under his sleeping bag.

You might also try adding a few moth balls to the mix. If you place moth balls under the cot and around the tent, they will help to keep the spiders and other crawlies out. (Don't know if the racoons will eat them though).

pvc frame ... I modeled mine and my son's after Troop 718's desing with a few modification. If you go with the pvc route, bring the pvc cutter to make minor adjustment.

www.troop718.org/Forms/MosquitoNetPlans.pdf

It turns out to look more like that of Troop 732's

http://troop732.org/Doc%20-%20Mosquito%20Netting%20Information.htm

As Mike pointed it out, I glue the couplings and 90s to one of the two pvc connecting pieces, limitting the number of loose parts. I also color coded (using colored electrical tapes) the pieces so that my son (actually me) could put it back together at camp.

1Hour

ps: Ken, if you pm me your email address, I'll email you what it would look like.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used some fallen branches lashed to the ends of my cot. One less thing to carry with you to camp. I would put duct tape on the top tips so they would not put holes in the net.