Coffee banned for the boys at Summer Camp??

"The problem I have is when I hear such statements as "no coffee for youth" and hear that it "came from National" - what are my resources to verify the authenticity?"

It's impossible to verify rules that don't exist. My practice is to say something like "Oh, that's really interesting. Could you get me a copy of that memo so I could pass the information on to others back home?"

If a boys asks, you can simply tell him that at this camp, the coffee pot is provided for the use of adults only.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy if there was a summer camp ban on coffee AND soft drinks along with all tobacco products. And it should be applicable to the boys AND to the adults. Just call me a happy guy...happy, happy, joy, joy...:)

Quick note re: the 'mythical memo' from National...

One thing I learned when I worked in the council office is that every Tuesday, the Scout Exec got a THICK parcel of new memos, polices, corporate business, etc. from National. In some councils, this was carefully sorted through in various committee meetings and filtered to the ranks. In some, it was quickly looked at by the SE and filed (and from the sounds of the contents, about 80-90% of it deserves to be filed away, far from human eyes). And, of course, every possible variation in between!

It is vaguely possible that some line item on some obscure memo mentioned something about caffine, and it created the root of this discussion. Not real likely, I am sure, but maybe, perhaps, just possibly...

Packsaddle: "I would be happy if there was a summer camp ban on coffee AND soft drinks along with all tobacco products. And it should be applicable to the boys AND to the adults. Just call me a happy guy...happy, happy, joy, joy..."

Welcome scouts and scouters to Severe Depression Scout Reservation, we hope you enjoy your stay with us! We regret to inform you that the Mutiny merit badge class filled up early and we are going to have to find a substitute class for many of you. ;)

i dont think we should ban pop and coffee. pop maybe because of all the sugar and other junk. coffee isnt as bad, as long as you dont load it with sugar and coffee creamer.

if you would ban pop, it wouldnt be that bad. you ban coffee, and you'd have half the older scouts out to skin you. coffee to some is like water to others. i know scouts that unless they get their coffee, they get major headaches, and cant function because they haven't had their coffee.

In the camps I have attended, coffee is't banned for youth, it just isn't provided. If you'll forgive me.... It's an adults only perk.

It's no diferent that the snack we get at the daily SM's meeting. It's what we get for giving up a weeks vacation (along with the mug).

If a troop/patrol/scout wants to provide it in site, that's up to the troop/patrol/scout

A few thoughts on this:

1. Caffeine is a mood-altering substance. It is also addictive, and those going off it will experience withdrawal symptoms.

2. But that being said, there is no reason to ban coffee but allow caffeinated soft drinks.

3. Bug juice isn't much better than soda, except for the caffeine. It's generally just sugar water with artificial flavor and color.

Here is some tidbits on caffine and youth from the University of Illinois.

Caffeine is one of the most comprehensively studied ingredients in the food supply. We know a lot about caffeine and it has been consumed safely for centuries. Caffeine exists in our diet from a variety of sources - primarily coffee, tea, chocolate, cola drinks, and both prescription and nonprescription drugs. While much is known about caffeine, many questions and misperceptions still exist; these facts and resources can help to set the story straight.

WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF CAFFEINE?

Caffeine is a mild stimulant to the central nervous system. It is not addictive, though it can be habit forming. When caffeine intake is stopped abruptly, some individuals can experience headache, fatigue or drowsiness. Age and body size can make a difference in effect. A child or a smaller person may feel caffeine's effects more strongly than an adult or a heavier, taller person. A cup of strongly brewed coffee or tea has more caffeine than a weakly brewed cup.

HOW MUCH CAFFEINE IS "SAFE?"

MODERATION is the key. Most experts agree that 300 mg. of caffeine (about the amount contained in 3 cups of coffee) is a moderate intake. At this time, there is NO evidence that caffeine intake is associated with heart disease, hypertension, osteoporosis or high cholesterol.

The amount of caffeine in some common foods and beverages is as follows:

Coffee, brewed - 40 to 180 mg. per cup

Cocoa - 4 mg. per cup

Chocolate, milk - 3 to 6 mg. per ounce

Chocolate - bittersweet - 25 mg. per ounce

Cola and other soft drinks, containing caffeine - 36 to 90 mg. per 12 ounces

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/drug-alc/caffeine.html

Thanks for the data. That was useful.

SR540Beaver, First it is really hard to type your moniker quickly. Second, I can picture it now - our week at camp, second morning. You are stumbling around with an empty coffee cup, eyes barely open and just wishing for a good jolt. I am bouncing off the walls as usual whistling and singing and doing everything I can to cheer you up and make your life miserable.

You know,I don't know why I haven't been shot long before now.:)

"try to look on the bright side of life..."

SR540Beaver,

Gotta come to our campsite! Our new Coleman Drip Brewer make a great cup of joe! I'll save you a seat. I'll even supply the cup!

packsaddle,

Copy & paste!

No coffee! There will be serious repercussions!

When we go to summer camp, we have had a standing rule that the trading post & vending machines are off limits for pop & snacks until after dinner. Our logic is they get three meals a day that are more nutritious. Granted the food isn't gourmet but it isn't uneatable, either.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

So coffee is non-addictive? As a non-drinker who sees the effects of those who go without, I disagree. Drinkers crave it, withdrawal symptoms appear - and it is proclaimed non-addictive?

And Ed, I guess bad habits are reserved (before dinner) for adults only? Just kidding. As they say, if we didn't have our vices, living may become intolerable.