Packing for summer camp

It would be ok for a scout to talk to his SPL but there are probably better options since the SPL presumably has many other things to do.

In a new scout patrol, the scout could still ask his patrol leader who could put him in touch with the Troop Guide assigned to that NSP or he could just his Troop Guide first to help him.

That is how the patrol system works.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had sent my son to Spring camp, he had only lasted til Wednesday as it was his 1st time camping as a Boy Scout & he also went without his troop. He proudly told me that he has been in the same clothes since Sunday! The reason he didn't last til Friday was because he was so afraid that I was going to die (his father died when he was 2.5 years old) & that my parents' house was going to go on fire! I have no clue where that came from!

When Mark goes to camp this summer, he will pack 4 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, underwear & socks for each day (I hope he changes them), a light jacket, 4 t-shirts (maybe less), extra socks, sneakers, bathing suit, aqua shoes, sunblock, soap, washcloth & towel & if they don't fit in, he'll take out a pair of shorts & a t-shirt. He has to wear his Boy Scout uniform there & I'll tell him to wear his hiking boots as his sneakers are lighter. I do hope that Mark changes his clothes & maybe throws in a shower! ;) He'll see what will fit in without being overpacked! It will be another test for him in packing!

Judy

well, speaking from a scouts view, i would only take enough shorts/pants for the days he is gonna be there. last year, i took 3 shorts, and 2 long pants. i took enough underwear, and socks for the whole week though. for shirts, i packed 6 or 7 short sleeves, 2 sweatshirts, and 1 or 2 long sleeve shirts. i also threw in a towel, wash cloth, soap, bathing suit, scout shirt,and scout shorts. a rain coat/poncho is also a nice thing to have.clothes can be worn 2 days in a row, if they arent too dirty, or they can be aired out for a day, and then worn the next. as far as the showering goes, i personally took a shower every other day, if not every day (really wakes you up in the morning), partly because i know what a week without showering can do to you. how much a boy showers depends on them.

to pack it, i would put it in a 2 gallon ziplock, one for each day. i didnt do this last year, but i just barely made my pack fit under the bunk.

i can see where some of you guys are coming from, saying that your boys just went through a growth spurt. it was the same with me, last year. i grew a bunch, and it wasnt time for new clothes yet. in that case, just send what you have.

I remember from MANY years ago when most of our clothes came back from camp so nasty that mother wouldn't put it in the washer. So we hit the resale shops this past weekend. I bought 4 pair of shorts and 7 tee shirts. None were more than $1.99 on the short and $1.59 on the shirts. THis way if they don't make it back no big deal. If it comes back so muddy I don't want it in my machine same no big deal. Remember if the boys are working on Swimming and any of the water sports they will spend most of their time in their swim suits. I also send about 4 plain white tee shirts (cheapest Ican find) to wear to water

sports.

OUr troop uses heavy plastic foot locker for our boys. They store their clothes and gear in them and they can be locked. We recommend that they pack their clothes and books in zip lock bags. They also interlock and stack in the back of our trailer perfectly. Will hold 24 with all our other troop gear in it. Plus if it does rain

I also found two pair of BSA pants. One fits Kevin now and the other is a size larger. $3.99 a pair plus two pair of BSA shorts at $2.99. I don't ever find shirts though.

You didn't mention where in the country the camp is. Here in Idaho, you will need long pants in the morning, and then can wear shorts during the afternoon.

When it comes to the shirt, we have the boys buy one short sleeve shirt. In the mornings in summer camp, or during cool weather in the autumn or spring, the boys wear a long-sleeve t-shirt underneath (usually a red long sleeve T with our troop logo) the uniform shirt; the boys stay warm and still have the uniform appearance.

If the camp is only 7 days, I would bring a pair of shorts, a pair of long pants, and a short sleeve shirt. Then bring enough underwear and socks that fits the boys personality (if he's a "Felix Unger" about things, probably a change for each day; if more Oscar Madison, maybe half that).

First of all I would just like to say that the posts made to all of the "first time moms" are down right rude!!! I can't believe that scouts would have the judgemental and disrespectful attitude that I have seen in some of the previous post!

But, I have been involved with scouting for several years and have ran anything from a Fun Day for the Cubs all the way to "producing" the Boy Scout Summer Camps and I cannot begin to tell you how many times a scout has came to me complaining about not having enough clothes packed for him. And I have also heard "Thank goodness my Mom did..." There seems to never be a happy medium because each boy is an individual and does not fit a set criteria.

I use the Ziplock bag method, because I know my son and what his needs are. He changes clothes everyday and showers every other. So I try to make sure that he is covered.

Also this year I am including in my pack two extra shirts, socks and underware; for those scouts that "pack too light". Nothing worse than spending the week with a scout that is "chapped, blistered, and gauded!"

My advise is ask your scout what he thinks, be observant, and if he has attended previous campouts use those short trips as a model for the week.

BS Mom

I'm going to side with BSmom on this... come one guys we've got new parents here, let's help some. My comments are coming from a former Scoutmaster/former Camp Inspection Staff Member/Current Troop Committee Chair. If you can't read my smile, and my occasional wink, rest assured they are both functional, and available. Also understand that I'm seated, not standing and shouting.

It has been my experience that many camps have communal showers for the boys. And since we are dealing with new boys that are either 11 or have just finished 5th grade and PE shower rooms are yet to be discovered. So they don't think the showers are private enough, and so they don't use them.

Don't hesitate to talk to other parents (we're in this together) or have your son talk to the experienced scouts. Don't be surprised if some of the items you send don't get used. He'll do better after a year of PE, honest.

My wife meets me at the door after a week of camping and says, "OK we're keeping this, I'm NOT TOUCHING THAT!!!" etc. My son and I have gone to Philmont, she was happy to see us when we returned after 2 weeks, and on our way home for some reason she kept the car window down. When we got home she had us take our packs next to the garbage cans and we went through our stuff, and threw things away. When we went to Northern Tier, we were able to do that without her promptings. We hose down and air out things like backpacks, dishes, sleeping pads. We go to laundromats to clean sleeping bags. BUT clothes many times are not kept because they are just trashed.

If you have a son that has grown a bunch, DON'T spend money that is going to be thrown, just know that there is no reason to buy new items. If he enjoys this, he'll put together supplies on his own, and just let him.

I hope this helps, and I hope I haven't sounded too critical. It can really be a great learning opportunity.

I started this thread and would like to say that I have reaped a lot of useful info from it. My son is going to pack enough shorts, underwear, socks and t-shirts for each day. Along with clean clothes to sleep in. My son is also the one that just took a growing spurt and I have been lucky enough to find him a whole new wardrobe at rummage sales. So, nothing was too expensive and he has a lot of old t-shirts. He has always packed his clothes in 2 gallon bags, since this is what the SPL suggested before their first campout.

As far as showers and PE go, next year won't be any better for my son than this year for 2 reasons: (1) In our school, kids are not made to take showers after PE (2) my son is homeschooled. I suggestion that I have heard made for that is to have them take a really light pair of whort to wear in the showers (I know that isn't the idea situation, but it is better than not showering at all).

Typically, I'll wear swimmng trunks in the shower or something similar. I know a lot of boys do.

Also, I dont know of many schools that still require showers after PE. Ours doesnt. The only time I'm REQUIRED to is after away football games we have to before we get on the bus.

We've actually had one boy end up wearing his rain suit as his clothing on more than one occasion.

This is nephew's first year at Boy Scout camp, but after doing Cub resident Camp for the last three years he is an old hand at getting ready for camp. He has been packing himself (with supervision) for the last 2 years. The only things he takes "extra" extras of are socks and tshirts because those are the only things he will change daily or more often if its a wet camp week. He takes a couple of pair of extra shorts besides the ones he gets out of the car wearing, plus this year it will be his Scout pants along with a pair of swim trunks. We subscribe to the ziplock bag method of packing everything. If the shampoo breaks open (yea, it goes and comes back just like it went) then it doesn't get all over the important stuff (like socks and pillow). He packs the sunblock but rarely uses it. The other thing I sent him with first year that he has insisted on taking every other year are extra slides. I make Turks Heads from parachute cord and send him with a bunch. He never comes home with any as he gives them away and everybody knows Nephew has extra slides. He likes the role. This year he will be learning how to do them before camp so he can have the extra pride of doing it himself.

Michelle

My son will use a plastic storage bag (ie for storing out of season clothing) with all the air sucked out also, but it's because his first year of summer camp came with the worst rainstorm in the history of the county since the 1920s. Everything in camp was soaked including the clothes in their tents. They evacuated to the dining hall, but even with the pack's raincover, the clothes were wet. This was my son's solution to wet clothing, but it's also good for nasty smelly dirty clothes for the ride home. I can get out one plastic bag and dump it into the washer instead of a totally smelly backpack and have to have son air it out as well. (actually, son did camp laundry last summer---yeah!!!)

"It has been my experience that many camps have communal showers for the boys."

man, i sure am glad my camp is different, we actually have personal shower stalls, with nice warm water ( if you get in there during the staff time) :)

"First of all I would just like to say that the posts made to all of the "first time moms" are down right rude!!! I can't believe that scouts would have the judgemental and disrespectful attitude that I have seen in some of the previous post! "

BSMom- i have been looking through this thread pretty often. could you please show me what is judgemental and rude? im not saying they're not there, i just dont see them. please take no offense at this, im just making sure i know whatnot to put in my replies.

"I'm going to side with BSmom on this... come one guys we've got new parents here, let's help some"

how? i thought we doing a good job. what else do they need to know?

I'd use the Outdoor Essentials and Personal Overnight Gear (P224 in the Handbook) as a place to start. Take the optional items too, perhaps minus the musical instrument. Anything else depends on preference, what's at the Tradin' Post, and camp/unit policy.

We hold a parents' meeting, and while I'm with them, the SPL is with the Scouts, doing the same thing. If you PM me, I'll send you a copy of the powerpoint slides we use.

Regarding clothing, hygiene, and how to pack, I require every Scout to take a shower, every night, right before lights out -- and we check 'em when they get back -- no exceptions. They'd better have wet hair and be smelling like soap upon return. They do it by patrol. It was almost comical last year, our first night in camp. Up until the hygiene call went out, they thought I was kidding, because under previous leadership, there were some lads who didn't touch water except for at the pool for the entire week. Our showers are semi-private, they can shower in their swim trunks if they want to, but shower they will. If we're spending a week together, nobody's smelling like a barnyard animal -- the 11th point of the Law is a beautiful thing.

I recommend big ziploc bags, with underwear, socks, and a t-shirt for each day. After the shower, the clean ones come out, the dirties go in, the bag gets sealed up...Bob's your uncle.

I also recommend at least one extra pair of pants -- if one gets wet/dirty, we can rinse and dry for tomorrow.

KS

"If we're spending a week together, nobody's smelling like a barnyard animal "

i personally cant go a week without a shower, you just get to smelling way to bad (believe me ive hiked in NH all wek without a bath or any sort). at camp though, as long as the person in my tent takes a shower every day, im happy. dont really care bout others. :)