Camp Commissioners

It's me again. I told a friend that I would post this question for him. It seems that this is the best site to use if I would like feedback from people and I do appreciate that.

My friend has accepted a position as a commissioner who runs the trading post and will be going around to campsites making sure everyone is having afine time. Do you have any suggestions for him on how to handle his job or problem scoutmasters. He will, of course, be going to NCS and learn a lot there, but he is not in Scouts currently and would like advice from others, besides me.

Again thank you very much and I hope you all have a great summer.

YIS

I have done this job a few times. I enjoyed it. Here are a few ideas.

1. Find out what the leaders need and make sure they get it.

2. Seek information on Camp problems. Address the issues and report back the results.

3. Make sure that you take something to give to leaders and boys. This doesn't need to be expensive and it doesn't need to be physical items. It can be training sessions for specific requests. Example: How to carve a neckerchief slide, How to braid plastic lanyards, Quick nature studies. Make an offer during the course of a casual conversation but be ready to act on it.

4. Make sure that you know all of the side trips, evening adventures, extra cooking features, etc. that the camp offers but doesn't promote. You can be the person to tell them and you need to know who to contact.

5. Don't interfere. Ask when is the best time to come around for a cup of coffee and a little conversation.

6. If there is some type of camp conservation project requirement, work with the Ranger to make a list before camp starts. This also needs to include knowing where the tools are that will be used.

7. Make sure that you go to the Staff meetings to know what information needs to be passed on to the Troops. Then pass it on.

8. There is always a Camp project, small to medium in size, that needs to be done but nobody can get to it. Make it your project and get it done over the course of a week or two. Then find another one. This silently makes you part of the crew and the Camp Ranger will be the one to make it so.

9. Know what items are standard issue for the campsites. Make sure that they are there. This is usually a double check.

10. There are several items that you should bring with you. Visit the Camp before the season starts. Talk with the Ranger and scout the area to make a list. This list should include items needed to undertake any projects that you might take on during your stay.

This is a full time job and is important to help make the camp experience more enjoyable. If done well, it looks like you are there to enjoy the experience. You need to be in good physical condition to make it look that way.

Three things to avoid:

1. Sitting in the Camp office all day.

2. Drinking coffee in the Commissioner area all day.

3. Sitting in the Camp Dining Hall all day.

FB

If he's the Trading Post Commissioner, I'd add in...

1) Making sure the Reservation HQ replensishes inventory constantly, right up to the last day of the last session. There's nothing like running out of T-shirts for the last session (something MY council manages to goof up on annually).

2) Making sure the Trading Post staff are up on the supply of ice and cold drinks (including the slushees). Yes, I know they are a profit center, but iced water in the camp sites goes down Scouts and Scouters throats faster than warm stuff. The slushees also go down faster.

3) When he does circulate to camp sites, ask leaders if there is some inventory item the staff overlooked. If there is a similar answer from several troops in several sessions, it may be time to talk to the business manager.

My thoughts. Others will have other thoughts.

Again I'd like to thank you. I have sent your replies to my friend and I know it will help his performance at camp. I will let you know how everything goes once camp starts and we see how easy it is, must be an optimist:-)