Sleeping Bag - Synthetic or Down?

We live in CO. We currently have heavy 0 degree bags which work just fine for winter and car camping. However we're preparing for an 09 backpacking trip and I need to get a 20 degree bag for my son. He is 13, probably pretty average for a 13 year old in terms of responsibility, having a broken brain, etc. :-)

I'm struggling with the down vs. synthetic decision. I know all the pros and cons. I'm interested in getting some real world, "on average" types of input such as "Boy - I've seen some scouts really get in trouble because they weren't diligent enough keeping their down bag dry." or "The extra weight and size of synthetic is more than a reasonable price to pay to ensure they can keep warm.", etc.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks.

jim

Jim,

There are others on this forum with more expertise, but I will take you through my thought process as it might be helpful to you.

As I have weighed the pros and cons of down vs. synthetic I have always come down on the side of synthetic for youth. To me, the risk of a wet useless down bag outweighs the benefits of weight since most of the boys on my Troop are slowed down on a backpacking trip more by the speed of the adults in the party than by the added weight of a sleeping bag. And I never wanted to put myself in the situation of explaining to a parent why their son experienced hypothermia because their sleeping bag couldn't keep them warm. On the other hand I chose to carry a down bag at Phimont because a. the weight meant more to my old body than it might to a boy, b. I didn't expect really wet conditions and c. I was 43 years old and felt that I might have a bit more ability to be responsible about keeping my bag dry than some 14 year olds. I do like the compact size that a down bag can be compressed to but synthetic bags have never been a limiting factor to the youth in our troop as far as pack weight or volume is concerned. In fact, I cannot think of anything a youth wasn't able to do because he was carrying a synthetic bag that a down bag would have allowed him to do. So I have always recommended synthetic for youth.

I look forward to hearing the opinions of others here.

When I lived in NM I was a hard core down advocate, and looked with distain at the synthetic bags and the folks in them. But now that I'm living back east in the mid atlantic area I done a full 180. Myself, and my three boys in Scouts all have $60 -20F synthetic Slumber Jack bags from Campmor. They have kept us warm and toasty in below 0F weather. Down may be fine in CO and NM, but back here the high humidity and general wet camping conditions make down a very dangerous proposition. I learned this the hard way the first time I took my old down bag out on a PA winter camping trip. I'm totally sold on synthetic now because I like to sleep warm!

With it being for a 14 year old boy, I'd vote for synthetic for the same reasons the other poaster said; if it gets damp it will still do a decent job of keeping him warm whereas down won't and the possibility of it getting wet is high.

Man do I love THIS rationale! Genius!

"Honey - we're spending $70 on a big bulky bag for the little one and $500 gazillion dollars on a feather light (literally) bag for me."

I'd been assuming we get the same thing for each, but what you helped me remember is, when it's your money, you can do whatever you want!

Thanks.

Here's reality:

Slumberjack Latitude -20F Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag, 6 lbs. 3 oz., Price:$59.99

Mountain Hardwear Wraith -20F Degree Down Sleeping Bag, 4 lbs. 4 oz., Sale Price: $449.97 (Regular Price: $525.00)

Yea, the synthetic will not compress as well, and is 2 pounds heavier, but the cost difference, along with far better performance when wet makes the decision easy! My -20F bag really isn't that bulky - and knowing how warm I'm going to be makes the slight extra size well worth it.

I was a big synthetic bag user for years, but have switched to down. I can only remember once ever getting my sleeping bag wet, and that was on one of my very first trips (flooding rain) as an 11 or 12 year old Scout (I'm 45 now). With a good tent and proper technique, I just don't see a lot of opportunity for getting bags wet. When are you worried about it getting wet - in the tent, or in transport?

I use Western Mountaineering bags, which use 850 power fill down. They offer great warmth while keeping the bags very light weight, as well as roomy (if you wish). But that comes at a price. Expect to pay $350 - $400 plus retail (I found one in Conneticut on Craigslist for half price)

Sierra Trading Post has a Sierra Designs 25 degree 600 power fill down Antero bag on sale for $149.95 (reg. $205). The regular size weighs in at 2 lbs 9 oz. and is pretty roomy. That meets the criteria I use when recommending bags for our Scouts - around 20 degrees and under 3 lbs. We'll get to test them out tomorrow night, as it is predicted to be right at 20 degrees tomorrow night at our camp site.

Remember, sythetic bags have a finite life. Every time you stuff and compress the bag, you are crushing the insulation. If you only need to bag for the 7 years of Scouting, they will be fine. But if you are looking for a longer life, look at down.

Synthetic is the only way to go. The small difference in weight over synthetic does not outweigh cost difference.

Using Sierra Designs Antero 25 degree as example. Cost $205 weight 2 lbs 9 oz vs Slumberjack Ultimate 20 degree @ Campmor cost $80 weight 3 lbs. Difference 7 oz in weight for $125 increase in cost.

All sleeping bags have finite life doesn't matter if down or synthetic. In order of any sleeping bag to last over time, it has to be cared for properly.

Had a 0 degree synthetic bag that I finally replaced after 34 years of use.

• 2 weeks later...

I was faced with a similar decision for my 12-y.o. scout a couple of months ago. I knew he was heading into a winter camping season without a suitable sleeping bag. He was coveting a mummy bag, and was looking through Campmor and other catalogs with me.

I'm also thinking ahead to next summer's possible backpacking trip (except now it has turned into a canoe trip).

Dad, why can't I get a down bag? Because they are expensive and if you don't take care of them, you'll get wet and cold. Don't worry, you'll learn that eventually (I'm thinking that right about the time he has a job and can earn money for his own stuff!).

My solution was to buy a relatively inexpensive 0F bag (Eureka Wild Basin, $50) to get him through these winter months, which isn't all that heavy at 3lb-8oz (much better than his present rectangular bag). Then we'll look for a lighter weight 20F or 30F bag for backpacking, hopefully something closer to 2lb.

Guy

I would love to try a Down bag but economically it just isn't feasible.

If I didn't like it - or it's durability, I wouldn't be able to ethically unload it and get a significant amount of the investment back.

I've always had synthetic bags, they've never failed me and I haven't been the best steward of them in the past (storing them uncompressed, keeping them clean, etc.). I'm doing a better job of caring for the bags now(which would help in using a Down bag) but even the best synthetic bags ((at least the ones I was looking at, Wiggys and Snugpak - I believe Wiggys is probably the better product line, - I am currently using a Mil. Surplus ECWSS bag system that I got CHEAP!)) come in near the price of medium to lower quality Down bags - I (for me and my economic picture) can't justify the Down bag.

• 3 months later...

I've been camping/hiking/climbing seriously since the early 70's. I've owned and used both down and synthetic bags multiple times. I keep returning to synthetic, especially when dealing with younger Scouts. Down = moisture = cold, wet and miserable! I've been in all kinds of weather, at elevation, harsh desert, no tropics, but just about everything else and I own one down bag, a North Face that I found in a yard sale that was in great condition. My favorite bags are Synthetic and I never carry down on any trips. My first bag of Choice is the North Face Cat's Meow. My second choice bag for colder weather is the North Face Bigfoot. Both are synthetic and I've been using them for years. Finally had to replace the Cat's Meow and am currently using a Mountain Hardware Switch +20.

The Army uses a double synthetic bag system that is also pretty good, you can find lots of them on ebay. I've got a lot of experience with that system too. I typically left the Army system at home and carried one of my North Face bags. But I did carry the Goretex bivy sack....Go synthetic, especially if you camp in a wet climate and are supplying younger Scouts.