really Hal.....that is pretty thin.

Fits right in with LNT.....The future will happen irregardless of your clinging to the scouting of your youth......

Plan Ahead and Prepare

Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces

Dispose of Waste Properly

Leave What You Find

Minimize Campfire Impacts

Respect Wildlife

Be Considerate of Other Visitors

All of these can be taught on Motorcycles, 4x4 trucks, walking, atv's and anything they come up with in the future.

I agree with the Basement troll er dweller.

BS was founded for boys. ATV is what young boys want to do. Great! Let's create a program that teaches how to safely use this equipment and the proper outdoor use for the hobby.

Downhill skiing can't be done without the wholesale reconditioning of the mountain. From grooming to lifts to snow machines and water collection ponds the mountain is changed.

Most ATV trails are in designated areas of national and state forests. The forest service roads are typically placed there for commercial logging. ATV's will have minimal impact.

Ya nice thomas......I like to think of my role as to ask questions.....I like to make folks think.

Far as my stance on Scouting and utilization or over utilization of parks and trails.....I stand by my beliefs. Read any of the AT trail books written for entertainment, Skywalkers, 300 zeros.....many of them have negative reference to Boy scouting. Most are because of the ignorance of the adult leaders. Just sayin.....I know Eagle 732 doesn't agree.

Round hear the equestrian crowd love sharing their trails with ATV's.....A horse print holds a lot of water causing the trails to become quagmires. The ATV's flatten out the foot prints and spread the water making the trail dry faster......

Basement says "Far as my stance on Scouting and utilization or over utilization of parks and trails.....I stand by my beliefs. Read any of the AT trail books written for entertainment, Skywalkers, 300 zeros.....many of them have negative reference to Boy scouting. Most are because of the ignorance of the adult leaders. Just sayin.....I know Eagle 732 doesn't agree."

SURPRISE! Eagle732 does agree.

We could start a new thread on this topic. I could tell some stories about the stuff I saw last year while hiking the AT for almost 6 months.

If you want to know what people think about Scouts on the AT go to whiteblaze.net , the largest trail hiking forum out there, and search "Boy Scout".

And you all thought the negative opinions about Scouting was mostly about their membership policies I can promise you it more about how we act in public, and it's not good.

I'm reading Skywalker's book now, very entertaining.(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

I can't believe I know something you all haven't mentioned yet.

The BSA is initiating a new environmental awareness campaign in association with Tread Lightly. The information is already included in the Venturing handbook and will soon be found in the Boy Scout Handbook. Tread Lightly focuses on the use of motorized vehicles in the outdoors.

Here's a link to the Tread Lightly website: http://www.treadlightly.org/

I know a couple of BSA LNT trainers (including one Master Trainer) who are going through Tread Lightly training in preparation for the inclusion of Tread Lightly in BSA programming.

I do not know the official dates of the adoption of Tread Lightly but it is coming.

Basementdweller writes:

"Read any of the AT trail books written for entertainment, Skywalkers, 300 zeros...many of them have negative references to Boy scouting. Most are because of the ignorance of the adult leaders"

Speaking of: Here are some pics I snapped this spring of trained adult leaders teaching Boy Scouts to hack up mangroves in the Florida Keys:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/leave_no_trace.htm

Many people would be surprised to learn that Baden-Powell invented a training course to teach indoor volunteers how to think like an outdoorsman. It was a week-long immersion experience with an emphatic outdoor name: "Wood Badge."

If only we had that now in the 21st century.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net