Troop Lightweight Backpack presentation

Searching for packs that meet or come close to these specs:

Cost less than $125

Weighs no more than 4 lbs

Internal frame

3,000 cu in capacity

Adjustable torso length about 14 - 17'

Just looking at the packs at REI I found two Deuter internal frame packs that might meet the specs.

Deuter Act Zero 50+15

Price $179

Weight 3-5lbs

Capacity 3,050 cu in

Torso 15-21"

(Although the price is high REI has 20% off sales that will bring the price down closer to $150.)

Deuter Fox 40 Junior

Price $109

Weight 2-14

Capacity 2,450cu in

Torso 11-18

(A little small in capacity but might be good for the smallest scouts)

I'm sure there's more than these two.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to REI to check these out.

Most of the packs on my list several of that category of stats.

TL=Torso Length

TL 15.5"-17" $ 79.00, 31 oz: GoLite Pinacle (woman's)

TL 15.5"-17" $ 79.00, 45 oz: GoLite Quest (woman's)

TL 13"-19" $ 71.50, 57 oz: Alps Mountaineering Orizaba 3300

TL 16"-20" $125.00, 17 oz: Gossamer Gear G4

TL 14"-18" $119.00, 19 oz: Granite Gear Virga

* TL fixed. $122.50, 18 oz: ULA Equipment CDT Small fits down to 15"

Only the ULA is a fixed position, I believe. The GoLites are on sale on the golite.com site, so I presume these models are being discontinued.

Hope that helps...

Alps Mountaineering is a company which makes camping gear.

www.alpsmountaineering.com

They have a "division" or "program" called Scout Direct. It gives scouts a 45% discount on retail of all products. To register, go to:

www.scoutdirect.com

Several years ago, they offered a 1x 55% of discounts for a unit purchasing gear.

Quality is mediocre. But the price is good. I would equate their quality to Coleman. Nowhere near top end, but a reasonable bargin, when you look at what you get for the money.

We buy two man troop tents for about $75 after the discount. I expect them to last about 6 years, or 72, 2-night campouts. That works out to a cost of less than 75 per scout per night.

Tampa Turtle writes:

I would consider teaching the boys about tarps with bug nets in lieu of tents. Some of our guys are going that at least when it is cool enough to keep out bugs.

Tampa,

I'd like to hear more about your Florida Troop's experiences with tarps + bug nets. Buffalo might as well.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Sure Kudu,

It is only a few boys plus the older boys in the High Adventure Patrol. The tarps are great if it is 50 below or so at night--so not too many bugs. A few problems with ticks on cold nights--they seek out those warm bodies.

A couple boys had a sil-nylon tarp with a no-see um mesh that hung down to the ground. It seemed to work OK. I think they bought it.

One boy had some kind of giant mesh box he hung over his tarp (like they use in the tropics) but it seemed heavy (2 lbs) and had some condensation problems in the morning.

One boy is using his rain fly from his tent and just hangs the top from a tree.

Several boys use blue tarps or lighter weight tarps (I think they were ground cloths)and do a classic A-frame between two trees. They use some cheap visqueen for a floor.

The younger boys seem resistant as they want that nylon wall between them and the outdoors.

On a recent trip my youngest who weighs 70 pounds dripping wet went from his Eureka (tent, poles, rainfly, cloth, etc at 6 pounds) to tarp, line, stakes, visqueen at 1 lb 9oz. This was after he loaded 4 quarts of water, 3 days food, and a stove. Stuff flew out. I think he came in at 25 pounds total from skin out.

The younger guys said it was cooler/scarier to see the outdoors but felt exposed when critters came near by. I guess that was the adventure part of it. Also changing clothes seemed to be an issue (I guess they could borrow a nearby tent for modesty or wrestle in the sleeping bag or just never change)

Me I'm a hammock guy but I think a low slung tarp would have kept me warmer and bringing extra hammock stuff on a cold trip puts the weight up close to a tent. I am looking to repurpose an old rainfly as a tarp for the next trip.

> One boy had some kind of giant mesh box he hung over his tarp (like they use in the tropics) but it seemed heavy (2 lbs) and had some condensation problems in the morning.

Tell him to put it UNDER the tarp next time. Though I agree it was likely pretty heavy. There are several smaller bug nets for not too much $. Or he could cut down what he has to a reasonable size. It's not hard to sew noseeum mesh.