Selling the idea of camping to scouts and scouters

A while back, I was asked to speak at a council program preview meeting about cub scout camping.

My DE said that it was supposed to be a totally unscripted 5 - 10 long talk from my heart .

But he did say that he wanted me to talk to those in attendance about the importance of cub scouts going to and attending camp.

Well, I didn't really regearse anything, but had a few ideas about what I wanted to say.

Well, when my turn came to speak...I had a total epithany:

I was supposed to sell the idfea of camping.

But as soon as I stood up at the podium, I realized the flawed logic here:

I was supposed to sell camping to people who were the regular campers at council, district , absd whatever pack camps there were!

And how do I know they were regular campers? Because they were at a council program preview meeting during what wouild be their dinnertime on a Tuesday night, in full uniform. They had the uniforms with all kinds of patches, ribbons, award knots and such. About 1/3rd were wearing their woodbadge neckers and beads.

So, what would I say to them about camping that the didn't already know.

So right there and then I went about it differently: I spoke about the importnace of making sure you carry that message across to the scouts and parents.

I told them that even though trhe "same old thing" gets dull at times, there are new scouts in every rank who are seeing and doing it for the first time.

Amd like my 10 1/2 year old son...even though parent son is geared more towards Tigers and Wolves, there is stil alot of fun to be had without participating in "baby" activities. ( thats how mu son put it) Just being there, camping in the outdoors , and enjoying nature is a great reason to go!

So anyways, back to my epithany - Selling camping to people who are already camping - is this where councils lose touch with the program? Is this why camp programs get dull anbd old?

Is this s simple mistake or a flat out head in the sand approach?

Your thought?

Thirty years ago I was the youngest Scoutmaster in my district. Now I'm the oldest Cubmaster in a different district. You don't have to sell camping to me, but I could use help selling the idea to Cub Scout parents.

We have an OK program, but it could be better. A good many parents don't want to invest more time and money to add more camping. In particular, I want to see our new Webelos den do more camping, but the den leader is aiming at doing more of the Cub Scout program.

One of my aims has been to send the Webelos Scouts to the Cub Scout resident camp, which is HIGHLY regarded by all the parents I talked to when I visited the program last week. But raising the money and setting that as a goal isn't receiving notable support or enthusiasm from anyone but me.

There's only so much you can do until a leader comes along who wants to make that kind of thing happen. As Cubmaster I can't really influence the Webelos program very much.

Our Webelos Den Leader took his son to a one day camp experience last spring, but that didn't inspire him with a desire to do the resident camp. I don't see other parents in the den who are inspired to do more either.

When I visited the Cub Scout resident camp program, pretty much all the parents said that the parent-Cub Scout ratio was mostly 1:1 --- parents WANTED to attend the resident camp with their sons. But how to get from where I am with a lack of enthusiasm to getting parents to give the resident camp a try? If they try it, the odds are they will like it ----a lot.

SP -

Sounds like what you need need is to get people excited about your particular resident camp - not just camping in the abstract. Contact your council or district camping promotions committee, or your OA chapter or lodge, to get a presentation. Just remember you're not alone in this.

In my neck of the woods, we do not need to push to much on the idea of Cubs doing camping on the Cub leaders, mostly parents.

BUT you sometimes want to do some unScoutlike things like whacking the head with you walking stave of a Boy Scout, Venturing, or council leader who says," Cubs don't need to go camping," "they don't know how to camp," "Cub parents pack everything but the kitchen sink," "Parents think they can just drive right up to their campsite," ad nauseum. Sad thing is some of those folks making those comments are doing the exact same thing they complain about, and are not setting the example.

Kinda funny when the guy with blue loops has everything for his camp promo display in his pack or in his hands and walks from the parkign lot to the display area, while the folks with red, green, and silver loops drive up the display area, park their cars, and unload.

But I digress.

Part of the problem is stagnation. Part of that is solved by doing different activities with little to no repetition. Now grant you you gotta do some things that the scouts want, or they will be a revolt (trust me that happened at my CSDC with the Webelos) but change things up.

SOme things you do NOT want to mess with:

#1 Fishing ( that's where the revolt came from)

#2 BB Guns

#3 Archery.

I was in a very organized and active Pack and I was not aware our Council even had a resident camp for cubs (which it did) much less what a resident camp was until I was well through the program.

I would concur with the previous suggestions:

(1) Whip up enthusiasm on camping in general.

(2) Create awareness of this great thing Resident Camping

Does the resident camp provide food, fun, and housing? While there are costs their will be some parents who will be attracted to camping without the hassle. Explain the pros and cons. Don't expect everyone to want to go. When I was in cubs some times I had money but cash was short other times I had money but not much time.

A big hook for cub age parents is spending times with their kids and having a *special experience*. To that extent they will spend a lot of money and effort on an activity (Disney, Museums, etc) if they think it is worth it.

Also, in my experience there is a big gulf in camping experience in younger parents. Some are really into outdoors but a lot are not and lack confidence.

Well...what I meant was, my DE asked me to speak to - well, basically a group pf people like you that are here in this forum.

That is : people who already go camping quite often.

I took it as the same thing as telling a fish how great swimming in water is.

Like preaching to the choir.

So I thought maybe that's where the problem lies. I do not need to sell pig poop tp pig farmers. I need to seel it to those not on the farm.

I am going to give an open invitation to every pack in my district and let them know I wuill go to their pack on a pack meeting night of their choice and give a wholw presentation ands Q & A session if the want me to.

The people who show up at comncil, district , and RT meetings are already sold on camping already. Why sell something to somebody who already bought it?

That make more sense? And this is what makes me wonder if Conciul, district or the SE or DE are targeting the wrong people.

Hello Scoutfish,

Let me know when you'd like to attend my pack meeting!

I think unit leaders do need help selling such programs. A pack for which I was Commissioner hadn't had a history of attending our districts excellent day camp until I asked the excellent day camp leader to come and make a presentation to a pack meeting. He came with several Cub Scouts and put on a skit. Ever since then the pack has had good attendance at day camp, but none at resident camp.

Once people experience a good program, they will embrace it. But they seem to need to be sold on the program before being willing to give it a try.

True, it's got to be a good quality program.

Key point: outdoor adventure is the BSA's best selling point. Hands down, it transcends generations, fadish programming, the personal hobby horses and bias of leadership, etc.

Everything else--uniforming, soccer, homework/academics, earning doo dads--can be delivered by organizations other than the BSA, oftentimes better than the BSA.

If the BSA were an auto dealer, outdoor adventure would be its best selling car. All too often, though, it is tucked in the darkest part of the lot.

Even the best salesmen needs a reminder of the uniqueness of their product, so making a pitch to the "faithful" is just fine.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Funny thing, I was sitting at Roundtable last night, and the Camping Chair and Activities Chair were talking about our great camps and all that's going on. The entire time I'm thinking about this post. These guys were spouting the usual rhetoric about the benefits of camping, and the opportunities our district has for camping, especially with the Cubs. Well Duh! We know what the advantages are to getting outdoors, that's why were in Scouting.

Our first big event for Cubs to Camp is Cuboree, unfortunately, the camp is not the ideal spot for a first time camper, much less a wide eyed parent with a 7 yr. old. The 7 yr old has a blast, but the parent is asking themselves or me, Is this really what I want to get into for the next few years? Hole in the ground toilets, no lighting, and the roar of semi trucks from the highway all night?

We've decided to make Cuboree a day event for the pack, and our first campout at a State Park with the nice restroom facilities, etc. They still are sleeping in the tents, but not getting the culture shock of Boy Scout camps.

Something we started last year with the pack. We do a "Camping 101" for the parents while their son is in a den meeting. We take one of the rooms at the COR and bring a couple of tents, and other gear that we bring for campouts. We also have a list of required, recommended, and optional items to bring to campouts. They also get our full attention for an hour to ask questions, poke around the gear, get ideas while their son is occupied. I can't tell you how much positive feedback I got for that one session.

I would be thrilled to see our district do something like this at our "Day of Training" in Sept. So parents and leaders could come by and just pick the brains of experienced campers. Better not say that too loud, or I'll be heading up that committee :o

Living amongst the urban sprawl, it is difficult to get people out of their comfort zone. It's still a hard sell for the first time camper, but once they cross that hump,they either love it or don't want anything to do with it. It's just getting them over that hump that takes the most effort.

So scoutfish.....exactly what are you selling????

Cub scout day and resident camp?????

or

Pack family camping????

or

Scout owned camps for pack camping?????

Who is your audience? Parents, general public, Pack leaders?????

Depends on who and what you are trying to sell as to how I would tackle the monster.

Basement,

Yes! That is what I am selling.

On my part - it's any camping a cub scout m,ight do at any level or just with mom and dad.

Fron the council's standpoint, I am selling any camping that brings $$$ to the council or district.

As for my audience...in this case. it was people like you and me and Eagle, and Twocubdad and Seattle n, shortridge, dessert, and tampa.

It was made up of people who show up at RT every month and also head op or work on at least 2 or 3 committees or camp staffs.

They are people who already bought in a long time ago.

I would ask the group when the last time their Pack camped???? kinda go around the table......set up a ringer before hand that says "we never camp". Then have a series of set up of reasons why they don't camp....have the answers to the excuses. Have materials available as handouts as to rental gear and access to council property.

I don't like this as a fundraiser, but the boys will benefit with the council.