Your staff needs to suit your personality. I'm very utilitarian and like having extras handy just in case. One guy I know is a wood carver, and I would NEVER take one of his out on a hike as they are true works of art with portraits and scout stuff carved into it. One skill I wish I had.

Sailing, I bet i could find a way to put a space blanket on the stave, but foldingit back to that size is PITA! ;)

The space blanket was one of the suggested thing to wrap around the staff, along with navigational charts, tin foil, surgical tape, velcro, 10'x10' plastic tarp, writing paper, surgical tubing and sandpaper.

Fishing line and parachute cord is one thing, all (or any) of that other stuff is a little much I think.

Way to go Kudu, I posted how I use a 6' stave with the 1' markings and 1" markings on the end and some even thought it might be useful. Now that you have given away my secret, everyone's going to think it's a terrible idea because it is a BSA original from way back when and for sure deem it irrelevant to today's scouts. :(

You have to learn to couch your references better! :)

The use of hardwood makes them a wee bit heavier but a lot stronger. I use pine because it's cheaper, but advise the boys to double them up when using them in side stress situations, i.e. stretchers.

Stosh