Owners drivers license is required but not the drivers drivers license?

I'm filling out a tour permit for an upcoming campout. It looks like the owner's drivers license is required, but for vehicles that carry less than 15 people then the driver's drivers license isn't required? That sort of seems a little backwards.

I can't, because of Youth Protection guidelines, transport a scout in a two-seater SMART car. I can, however, swap cars with a family member. We have our insurance set so that we can do this, but the car doesn't belong to me. The instructions say that I need to enter the owner's drivers license number but as long as it isn't a bus (seating 15+ people) I'm not required to enter my own drivers license number anywhere? Am I missing something?

I am not sure where you are reading this, as that is not what the Local Tour Permit states.

You are required to list the following -

Make/model/year of vehicle

Number of seat belts

Owner's name

DRIVER'S License number (note - it does not state owner's license number)

Will everyone wear a seat belt (silly, why would anyone put no?)

Liability insurance coverage

"If the vehicle to be used is designed to carry more than 15 people (including driver) the DRIVER must have a commercial drivers license (CDL). In some states (including California), this guideline applies to 10 or more people."

The EMPHASIS is mine.

The person who is driving must always list their license number. If they are driving a vehicle designed to carry 10-15+ (size varies depending on state laws) the license that the driver lists MUST be designated as commercial (not a regular license).

If you are driving a two seater car, you CAN transport a Scout. However that Scout can ONLY be your son.

myscouting.org, click on tour permits on the left which takes you to...

scoutnet.scouting.org/tour permits or something...

Then on the Vehicle tab, in the first section, only the owner's drivers license is requested or even talked about. "For each record you will need the Vehicle Make, Model and Year; the Total the Vehicle will carry based on the number of seat belts, including for the driver; the Owners legal name; the Owners valid Drivers License Number and State..." Down lower, if the vehicle is a bus or super huge van, then you also have to list the driver's drivers license number (and it must be a commercial driver's license, as was pointed out).

If I'm driving a regular car, I don't even see a spot to put my driver's license, only the owner's. I think this is an oversight on the form.

I see what Bart is talking about folks. If you look at the form, it asks for the owner's name in one column. In the column next to it, it asks for driver's license number. I would make the assumption that the number placed next to the name in that column should be associated somehow. I guess I never noticed the language before because the owner has always been the driver.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34426.pdf

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

Ed, did you actually look at the form? Common sense has nothing to do with it. One column asks for the owner's name, the next asks for the driver's license number. A better column heading would be "owner's (or driver's, if not the same) name" but I would understand if TPTB didn't want to change it for the very occasional case.

Bart, I think what I would do is ink in the driver's name above the driver's license number and fill out the owner's column correctly.

Vicki

Ed, I believe we already covered that probability if you take a closer look at what's been written. I think you threw out the possibility of 10% (100 - 90) - I said "very occasional case" - without data, can't quantify any further.

But feel free to beat that dead horse without me - I offered Bart a workaround, I'm done.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

I think that in it's explanations on the online Tour Permits, BSA is assuming that the owner of the vehicle is the driver since that is the case in most instances.

If you are renting a car/van, or borrowing one from a church/school/etc, the owner is a corporation and will have no driver license, so again, it is the license number of the driver that is needed.

If you are borrowing the car of a friend or relative, I would put down their name AND their license number in the column marked owner. Then put the license number, and name, of the car's driver in the next column.

If you are unsure, call your council Tour Permit person. They will be more than happy to tell you what information they require on the permit.

I looked at the form. Absent this discussion, it would not have entered my head that they meant anything other than the driver's driver's license number. Even after this discussion there's no doubt in my mind that that is what is meant.

IMHO, I would just put any ambiguity to rest by writing a brief explanation.

I would write the name of the owner, the number of the license of the driver, and underneath, write in something like, "this is the license number of John Smith, who will be the driver of Mary Jones's car."

The worst that will happen is that they'll ask for Mary Jones's license number as well. To forestall that possibility, you could just write it in with an explanation.