philmont prep tips and equipment

That was a really good article, thanks guys. Its interesting how much the manufacturers have caught on to lightweight backpacking, there is a lot more choices now than just seven years ago. Our crew typically weighed in with packs between 20 to 25 pounds, so I am very impressed with this writer.

There are few comments: One of the problems with Philmont is the cost. While it seems expensive just paying the BSA for the experience, the gear can triple the cost for the first timer. Our troop made an art form of light weight backpacking on a low budget. When I look at the pictures of that article, I was impressed already by the non-uniform dress of the crew. Its an experience the first day of the trek to see all the crews together waiting for the bus that will take them to the trail head. That is also where everyone gets to watch the pack weigh in of each backpacker. One of the first things we notice is how some crews are in identical dress even down to the backpacks and trekking poles. Come rain and you see identical rain gear and pack covers. Those were also the crews where we saw 120 pound boys with in with 60 pound packs. That is half the boys weight. I remember watching the face of the ranger responsible for that crew. I could tell this wasnt the first time he had a crew like this, but it still was going to be very challenging.

Im not saying that a crew that dresses a like or in uniform is wrong, but it tends to expose where the crew did or didnt put a lot of focus. We were always picking up poles and giving them back to the scout who dropped them a head of us when we met at camp. You will not be looked at badly if your crew does not look uniform.

Getting back to cost: the writer of the article gave some great tips for light weight clothing and gear. The problem was much of the gear he suggested was new and expensive. His advise to get pants with liners is a good one because you dont need to take underwear. But you might save a lot with a pair of athletic shorts or hiking shorts with liners at an outdoor store like Academy that we have here in Oklahoma, or even Walmart.. Half our crew gets the zip off legs pants, but you can save 30 bucks by not getting the higher end gear. If you can afford it fine, but most boys families arent ready for that cost. As for long pants, many of the wind protector pants at Walmart are cheap, lite and waterproof. Did I say cheap? And they typically have the snap up or zip up legs so they are easy to throw on and take off.

Shirts are the same thing. I have noticed that Academys store brand sport shirts are half the price of the higher end gear. Those are great shirts because they have the roll up sleeves and for another five dollars, and you get the shirt with UV protection. Our crew typically took two shirts, one long sleeve and one short sleeve. But some of the guys used their long underwear top for long sleeve if they ever needed it to be warm.

Then there is the footwear. I agree with the writer that running shoes are fine for Philmont because the trails are so smooth, but we still suggested a boot for ankle support for our guys. That being said, I always had a couple scouts who just wore running shoes and did fine. However, were we did not want boys to save money was on socks. Socks do to things that are very important, keep your feet dry and prevent blisters. Actually one causes the other, but we asked every scout to bring two pairs of hiking socks with two pairs of liners.

Now I want to say and everyone will agree that none of this gear should have any cotton. Cotton holds moisture and moisture is the cause of feet problems and hypothermia. That being said, most of our scouts usually brought at least one cotton t-shirt. It wasnt a problem because they also brought at least one non-cotton shirt if needed. But for some reason, they needed a t-shirt that gave them some kind of identity I guess.

We asked everyone who saw a sale on any kind of backpacking clothing or gear to announce that sale at the troop meetings for all the other scouts. You would be amazed that Walmart always has non-cotton clothing on sale. Same goes with backpacking gear, there are a lot of sales on the internet. Our troop had a back exchange, when a scout out grew his pack, typically around age 14, he would bring it up to the troop meeting to sell it, or even donate it. My two sons and I donated three packs. Boots are the same, some boys feet grow so fast that they hardly have any time in them at all. You have to be very careful about fit and wear, but some boots are worth handing down.

If a troop starts helping scouts to buy their gear a year or two out, it will be a lot easier on the parents budget. And the gear can be used over again as well. My sons and I had a box just for our high adventure gear and clothing. I still use some of that gear that is, well Im not going to tell you how old some of that gear is.

Its not as bad as it use to be because there is so much cheap gear and clothing that reduces the weight without sacrificing comfort. But even still we have to think what luxuries we might be willing to carry: A book, fishing pole, or even that cell phone. For me it was a camping chair. After a long hot day of backpacking, I just hated the thought of sitting my wet sweaty body on the hard dusty ground. Even worse, Philmont is an active cattle ranch, so it is likely that you will camp where a heard of cows have camped before you, if you know what I mean. So I gladly carried a 30 ounce camping chair without any regrets. Just about everyone will bring something that isnt really required for the trek. Its just a matter of not bring several of those items.

And when I think back of why I was closer to the 25 pound side, I always carried and extra pair of socks or some medication for flu, stomach or just plan soreness for the other scouts. I know, I know, but it seemed like there was always one scout that got careless of cocky, or started with a fever or cough. I am not suggesting that every adult do that, I guess it was just the weight of the little bit of the dad in me that I was willing to carry.

This is a fun discussion folks. I look forward to seeing others contribute more advise or even stories to this topic.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

I did Philmont with my son in 2005. No trails I could reasonably get to in Oklahoma (even the ozarks in Arkansas) prepared my for the mountain hiking at Philmont. I realized I needed to get in shape after our crews first weekend backpacking trip. I started climbing the 15 floors of our building and up and down twice per day. At Philmont, I found that on a climb I could go for 10 to 20 minutes before I was winded. I was puzzled since I considered a 15 story building stairwell pretty demanding. One of the other dads figured that I was used to climbing 150 to 170 feet at a time, and that that is about how much we would do in 15 to 20 minutes. So, I bet climbing a 20 to 30 stories building would have been more realistic.

You might suggest to the crew that they do all the stuff for first the Hiking merit badge, whether the boys need it or not, and then all the stuff for the Backpacking merit badge. For hiking you have to do five 10 mile hikes and then a 20 mile hike. For backpacking you do three 15 mile treks over 3 days and then a 50 mile five day trek. (we let Philmont itself be the last one). The boys got used to one another and started working as a team before Philmont, so that part of it was not a shock. One of our four adults did not do these hikes. He did not have fun.

thank you all... learning a lot.

I know the crews are going to be doing several practice treks this fall and then again next spring before they go. much of the gear he actually already has as he loves camping and hiking and adds to collection every xmas and birthday.

I already told him that since he's 14 right now and still growing that we aren't getting him set up with shoes and clothing until it gets closer. The troop has others do the trek a few months ago and they recommend wearing hiking boots and packing lighter weight tennis shoes. And I know he'll need a new sleeping bag because he has 2 1) is a zero degree and very heavy 2) is very light but used for summer heat camping.

He's personally made plans for working out. right now he's going to our fitness center like he's always done but in stead of keeping treadmill flat he's changing the elevation working on going up hills. Once the snow finally melts we have a great trail in our town and he's planned to hike it every day starting with no weight and then adding weight constantly pushing himself.

I've already emailed him the links you guys posted - since I thought they were great and I'm sure he'll enjoy them too.

so thank you for all your thoughts and opinions