A little extra for the delivery of historic ashes to a campfire

Ok.. With the wealth of experience on this board, I am sure to find a good idea...

Our Pack is having a family campout this coming weekend.. and the vast majority of the families have never camped with us (or ever probably) before.

I have a set of ashes to add to the fire that has a very long history... but wonder if anyone out there has added anything extra to the ashes to SAFELY provide a visual extra to the adding of the ashes (as if the spirits of those other campfires are rising from the fire)?

Ideas?

Do you mean like some powdered coffee creamer which would flare when you added it the fire? That sure would add some dramatic effect, but it should be handled carefully. (here I am being cautious and it was Boy Scouts which taught me 30 years ago that coffee creamer would flare...)

I am curious to hear anyone elses take, but that may be something we start doing. Can you offer any more about these "historic ashes?"

Yes.. I am indeed thinking of something that might slightly change the color of the fire or send out a small colored (or not) spark or two.. nothing dangerous... but something to grab the attention of Cub Scout age boys and their parents...

These ashes were some that I just took from a Wood Badge campfire I attended over the last weekend. The final "pedigree" for them is being sent to me by a member of the staff. However, at the campfire, we did have a ceremony adding ashes from the Staff that had a "long history".

Obviously, by tradition, only those that experience the campfire should share in teh ashes.

Yours in SCouting,

Brian Kale

Wood Badge NE-IV-215 (Buffalo Patrol)

Have a great time! We had our pack family campout the first weekend in October, with numerous first-time campers. It went very smoothly, but I forgot to bring the ashes from WoodBadge last spring.

Annie (I used to be an Owl).

I have seen flash powder used (by a licensed pyrotechnics person) at a Wood Badge beading. He went a little overboard, as he usually does. Too much show took away from the significance of the ashes. Now if everyone had just a little sparkle or colored smoke

(Used to be an Owl and a Buffalo)

When I was a kid, my mom told me that my grandpa used to take copper screen and toss it in the fire. The copper would burn green and purple. Perhaps you could do something similar with a handful of copper shavings from a piece of pipe mixed in with the ashes.

Or, a small amount of magnesuim from a fire starter block would flare hot and white for a few seconds.

Some gunpowder maybe.

Whichever you do, I'd be sure to try it beforehand to make sure you don't light the camp on fire.

I would avoid anything like gunpowder or even non-dairy creamer. You can get something called Funky Flames at Wal-Mart. It's a little bag of powder that changes the flames into colors, kinda subtle though. My thoughts would be metal shavings of some kind. Certain carbon shavings will look like sparks in the flames. Copper shavings will burn with color.

• 2 weeks later...

Funky Flames from Wal-Mart (best bet and safest route)

The second being some copper filings that should turn the flame green. You'll need to practice beforehand to get the mix / amount right.

I'd stay clear of any magnesium product. It burns like a welders torch. Not a good "first impression" - little johnny at his first campfire is now seeing "flash spots" in his eyes for the next two days b/c he looked directly at the mag burning.

Good Luck,

Dean