Cabin Camping for Cubs, Mostly Tigers

I have been doing so research for our camping trip. Since our last two were rained out due to severe weather.

What I have been looking into is this. Our local council camp has cabins on it and they allow people to rent these for camping. I have been thinking about renting these cabins for our pack that way if there is bad weather the trip is not a bust and we can still go and have fun. The average cost for the cabins is going to be about $5 a person for the cabins.

We still plan on doing our other events and activities, just having the stronger shelters is our concern

Has anyone done this before, and how did they like the event.

Any input.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

We routinely rent one of the buildings at our camp when we do our pack campout. We usually don't actually sleep inside, but use it as a back up, activity center, place to eat if its raining,etc. We use the kitchen for most cooking, and do some grilling or foil packer dinners.

It makes the campout more expensive, but is so much more enjoyable.

I know many packs who do this at our council camps. There are also a lot of parents in cubbing who are not experienced campers. They might be willing to do cabin camping but no way will you get them to do tent camping at first. So cabins make sense and if they're cheap I say go for it!

I know that we will be doing FAMILY camping. Even though there are a few parents who I have earned their trust, I still don't think they would let their boys go camping without them. That should have been a gimmie. I have always had every intention on taking families with me. Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters. As long as they pay their way I am fine with that. Come on now. I may be new but I am not stupid.

What I am looking for is anyone who has done this before and what experiences have they had. Good, Bad, or Indifferent.

In response, if we could stay on topic and avoid quoting me GTSS and all the other regulations in regards to how to do things, it would make this thread a little more productive.

Sorry if I seem ill, but it gets frustrating when topics take a wild spin.

SctDad - there's another thread running about how forum members should just answer questions people ask, as a way of being courteous, and not try to catch the poster in some violation. I guess that tells you how common of a problem it is on the forum. Every forum develops its own patterns, and quoting the G2SS is just part of the deal here. I don't like it either.

To keep this post on topic, our pack hasn't done cabin camping, although we've 'camped' in an aircraft carrier and an aquarium. Those worked out fine. I really don't foresee any reason why cabin camping would be a problem - I'm with Lisabob - if the cabins make sense and are cheap enough, go for it.

No need to be rude. No one called you any names.

Bastmentdweller is fairly new here had he/she was simply asking for clarification.

You must realize that people, even ones who have been in scouting for a long time, sometimes do not know everything. Or they simply ignore things that they don't want to do or know. Or they just plain do stupid things.

Cabin camping works well because it gives newbie families who are not comfortable sleeping in a tent (or have no equipment) an alternative that is not so intimidating.

We have done cabin camping before, and would like to idealy do one cabin campout and one tent campout each year.

The problem is finding a nice park, with decent outdoor recources, and cabins that meet the criteria of the guide to Safe Scouting (sorry, I know that you do not want this mentioned). For family cabin camping you need, at the minimum, one very large cabin that can be split into 4 separate and distinct areas. Or, 2 smaller cabins that can be split into 2 separate areas each, or have at least 2 separate sleeping rooms.

A cost of $5 per person is not bad. Our new Council camp has 2 cabins that would run us $10-15 ea person. They have room for a picnic table inside, but no kitchen facilities. The bathrooms are outdoor kybo's. The new shower house & bathrooms are a bit of a hike away. We might give these a try this Fall. Meanwhile we will keep looking, and tent camping!

SctNut

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I do apologize for what was taken as rudeness. But I saw it as a off shoot of what kind of camping I should be doing instead of what I was looking for.

The references to the GTSS that I was trying to avoid were the ones that TELL me to look in there for things that I thought I could get through discussion here. Thnks again for the pointers.

YIS

SctDad

SctDad,

My Council camps have staff village cabins. They're rather austere. Four walls, lights, and windows.

We also have senior staff cabins for the camp leadeship. They're comparable with many hunting cabins, including kitchenettes and "bath facilities."

Council rents both of them out, at different rates. They're cheaper than commercial cabins, but more expensive than campsites. Since you said you were planning a family camp program, cabins might be an option for your Pack.

Have fun :)