Home made Jerky and Home made dried fruit.

Roast your beef, then slice fairly thin and dry out in a LOW oven or bought drier. Vacuum pack in plastic baggies. Keeps long time. Trust your nose...

Find recipes for dried fruit on line...

Don''t forget the catsup/ketchup/catchup...

one word: Barilla Tortelloni. well that''s two words.

Boil it up. heat Spagetti suace and light a candle. Find a violin player and you are eating some very good Italian food. 4 servings weigh 1/2 lb.

Went 44 miles in the ''dacks and had that the second night.

John why would you lash the D.O. to the thwart in case of a tip over? If there is no portage we bring the DO. There''s a loop in the lid and a bail. I can smell the apple pie now.

While of course Beavah is right.

My point was/is kinda along the lines that you do one thing at a time.

Learning to cook is wonderful.

But many of these young Lads may not have ever cooked an egg before joining the Troop.

I kinda think if I was a 12 year old going on the water for my first big canoe trip, my focus would be on learning how to canoe.

Sure practice makes perfect and I''m not a great lover of reheated dishes -Not to mention the danger that they impose.

I''d keep it simple and as they get better at cooking and more used to the equipment kick it up a notch.

Eamonn.

Well the guys are off for the weekend, menus planned, and should have perfect weather for it. I''m jealous that I couldn''t go too.

They ended up going with fairly simple meals that take little time to prep, not a lot of ingredients - along the lines of what Eamonn is saying. The few older guys who are going were planning somewhat more elaborate items so hopefully the younger guys will learn from them. I admit that most of what I was seeing on menus didn''t appeal to me! But hey, I don''t have to eat it, either. And I''ll be interested to hear how it all goes when I pick up my guy on Sunday.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.