What type of "Mafeking type" adventures does your troop do?

So we can all deliver a quality program with a focus on basic scout skills, what kinds of Mafeking type adventures does your troop do?

We've done navigation, first aid, pioneering, etc. but what have you done?

Thanks,(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

Actually I thought we lost those Webelos. After Sunday service, our Troop typically works on a service project, advancement for those who want it, and a PLC meeting. Then we break for lunch, break camp and do a game or two of Capture the Flag before we load the cars. But the Webelos and their leaders were so exausted that they left after Sunday service. I was nervious we ran them in the ground. Some of the scouts could barely walk to their cars. I ran into one of the leaders the next day and all she could say was they were all still trying to recover from the weekend. I thought we lost them but a week later I got a call from both Den Leaders that the Webelos told their parents that they didn't want to visit any more troops because they wanted ours. That group had 18 of the 25 new scouts we got that year.

The stations were mostly First Class Scout skills. We did the navigation in the canoes, which turned out easier that expected. It was impressive because all the design and planning was done by the scouts. It was a good experience for us because the next year our scouts planned and hosted a Night Trooporee for four other troops. That took the troop six months to get ready. They did that under the Star Trek theme. What a weekend, we got nine inches of rain in four hours time. That was my younger son's first campout and he still remembers it well.

But it must have went well because two of the four troops planned a trooporee in their own Council. One of those Trooporees turn into the model their District used for District Camporees for the next few years.

Who would have ever thought that the one night camporee campout we did for ourselves would have led to all that the next few years.

Wow, does scouting get better than that.

Great memories.

Barry